Rochester / S.E. MN

Discussion in 'MNSubaru - Regional' started by Steve in Minnesota, May 13, 2005.

1. Steve in Minnesota

Steve in Minnesota Well-Known Member

I'll have to check with the boss!

I was gone all this past weekend doing car stuff, I'm going to be gone this coming weekend doing car stuff, my folks are coming up the 14th and 15th and we've been talking about going up to northern WI for a weekend in October.

I'll try to get things nailed down and let you know when my busy social calander has a spot for you! :D

Steve

2. LeiboSTi

LeiboSTi Well-Known Member

Helix downpipe - I am sending it out to get coated by Swain Tech prior to installing.

Midpipe and axle back - will be ordered.

New Cobb heatshield.

Walbro fuel pump.

Turbowrap.

I am planning to also change my suspension not sure if I will try different springs with the Racecomp camber plates in front and group N top hats in back (likely) or coilovers (unlikely). I also need new rear endlinks because I FUBARed the current ones.

My plan is to get everything piled up, then just do a massive install weekend. Can't wait.

3. Steve in Minnesota

If you would like help/spectator let me know. I've done the downpipe back and will help Nabile do his in the near future. It's really easy. A bunch of little bolts on the heatshield, five bolts/nuts on junction to the turbo, one to the side of the transmission and a couple on the juction with the midpipe/catback.

The fuelpump scares the living crap out of me....I'd call 'ol Matt on that one but I've never looked at any instructions. Are you changing out your turbo too?

As far as springs go...I'm pretty satisfied with the STI Pinks as far as ride and amount of drop go. I did both days of the Evolution Auto-x school this past weekend and thought they worked out pretty nice but I know a lot of the Auto-X guys go to coil-overs. I know you said the H&R springs you have not are too much drop for a daily driving (especially winter).

Steve B

4. LeiboSTi

I will not change the fuel pump myself - I have a healthy fear of explosives.

I would love help with the rest. I am trying to decide on the rest of the exhaust right now. Are you happy with the Evo2 - it is on my short list.

The event at MAM is on - 20 registered as of today. A few WRXs there I think - hopefully I will be able to sample some different suspension setups.

I don't plan to change the turbo anytime in the near future. After the above, I will get that setup tuned. Then I will spend all my car funds on driving events to actually try to get my skills up to the point of being able to drive the car the way it should be driven. I have been told that the addition of a fuel pump is helpful for this car when at these "stage 2" levels. Apparently with the stock pump the injectors will be over 100% duty cycle. I am not clear on how this is better with a pump and not replacing the injectors, but many tuners have documented that they drop under 100% with just a pump.

I got some replacement bulbs for the turn signals in the mail today. They look silver/chrome, but light up amber/yellow. So now I can clear my headlights too.

Brad

5. Steve in Minnesota

A fear of explosions is a good one to have.

I'm satisfied with the Evo II other than I think the tip is a little big. I recently went back to the standard length kartboy hangers and it looks a lot better than with the XL ones I had on there before. Now it sits up by the bumper tight like Nabile's and looks pretty good. The Evo II definately sounds good and isn't too loud with my dp with a single hi-flow cat. With a catless downpipe it might be a little louder.

Where did you get the bulbs and what did you get? This is a mod that I would like to do but I think it is one I would like some moral support while doing. The idea of having to explain a puddle of plastic in my oven to my wife without 'backup' isn't one I hope to experience. :D

Steve

6. LeiboSTi

I'm with you on that. I think the standard baking temp is 200F. I think it would be hard to really damage them at that temp. If you want to do it here, I will volunteer to go first to test the waters. I am really happy with the look of the bulbs, look here:

http://www.audiomotivegruppe.com/product.php?do=viewproduct&productid=46

Not cheap for bulbs, but I figured it would be worth it if I am going to the trouble of actually baking my headlights just for cosmetics. :lol:

I sent an email to Gruppe-S regarding the Evo2 and fitment with the Helix DP, asuming that the answer is what I expect, I will probably buy that one. Then we can start wrenching!

Brad

7. beeloo

beeloo New Member

Steve,
    Does the exhaust rattle, now that you have used shorter hangers?

Brad,
    I did a lot of research before I bought Evo2 and I am MORE than satisfied with it, to say the least. Be warned though, it is really really quiet, which in my book is awesome but some people like their exhausts loud.

According to this link Greddy Evo2 is one of the quietest, if not THE quietest, exhaust on the market.

If you are not sure of which exhaust to buy at this stage, this link has a lot of sound/video clips of different exhaust setups.

And, if you do decide to get an Evo2, according to my research one of the cheapest Evo2's were offered here. Otherwise ebay can be your good friend.

Instead of buying a Helix downpipe, I went the ERZ way. You can look at mine, it has really nice welds.

As always, let me know about the install day, i would be glad to helpout if I am around!

later,

Nabil

8. Steve in Minnesota

Brad

I will order bulbs today! Wanna give it a try next weekend (8th/9th)! I'm game!

The I'm pretty sure the fit with an Evo II and a Helix dp is no problemo! That is what I was going to originally order and then I found the Maddad and their claim that it would NOT throw a cel.....BOGUS!

Nabile

No, it doesn't rattle but I think it is because everything got shifted forward when it put on the dp. It doesn't come close to hitting and I was throwing the car around quite a bit this past weekend.

Steve

9. pbedroske

pbedroske Well-Known Member

Sorry for being a little off topic. But I have to head up to Firestone this weekend to sell my endlinks to Justin. Anyone want to come up with me? Right now it would be Friday evening, not sure what time. I think people start showing up around 7or 8.

10. beeloo

beeloo New Member

I would pat but i am on call this weekend. Is this going to be quick trip or you planning on spending some time there?

11. LeiboSTi

Nabile - thanks for the pointers - I got the downpipe from Gruppe-S and came to the same conclusions regarding pricing from them. They ship quickly, answer questions quickly, and seem to have great prices. I have a hard time with computer sound clips of exhausts, they never seem to give me a good feeling for how these sound in person. One of the nicest sounding exhausts I have heard in person is the B&B. It is almost twice as expensive as the Evo2.

Do you guys think the Evo is quieter than the stock catback? My DP has a cat, so I figured it would sound similar to Steve's setup. I remember that being slightly louder than stock, but nice sounding and not too loud which is what I would like. I actually love the sound of some louder exhausts - as long as they are on someone else's car :lol: I think I will go with that one unless someone convinces me otherwise in the next week or so.

Steve - I am anxious to do the headlights, but the weekend of the 8th I am going to be out of town at a wedding. Perhaps the weekend after at my place?

Good luck at the autocross!

12. beeloo

beeloo New Member

If you like louder exhausts then I would NOT recommend Evo2. As stated earlier, it is one of the quietest exhausts but not quieter than stock, IMO.

btw it's Nabil

13. Steve in Minnesota

Brad

The weekend after my folks are up for a visit from Iowa. Maybe the next weekend if you can wait that long?

I think the Evo II is definately louder than the stock catback (on my wrx). You hear more of the boxer rumble. It really didn't get substantialy louder until I put the dp with single cat on. It's still not anywhere near as bad as some of the clips I have heard from the internet. My wife insists she and the dog can here me two blocks away fromt the house, but I think she is just giving me $hit. I really don't get people turning their heads but I have had comments from people that work for me that it got louder with the exhaust work.

STeve

14. rskm1

rskm1 Well-Known Member

exhaust volume

The previous owner of my '00 said it was really loud when he first had the GReddy EVO exhaust put on it, but then it actually got quieter when he got headers to go with it.

I can't vouch for any of that firsthand, but it's something to consider when deciding on an exhaust. The sound may be quite a bit different depending on the components ahead of it in the system...

15. LeiboSTi

Nabil,
    I think I knew the spelling of your name, I am going to blame that one on hella bad typing skills.

Steve, I can wait one more weekend. Have some other stuff to take care of anyway.

I think I have decided on the EvoII. Quiet is good for me.

After MAM this weekend, I have decided I need some brake upgrades too. I am going to get some RB rotors and Hawk HP+ pads. Probably need new fluid again now too.

16. LeiboSTi

the springs were great at the track. I hope the pinks will work as well. Steve, they are doing ok for you?

Some crazy cars there this weekend, Lotus Elise, Lotus Esprit Turbo, Viper, 911, two sweet 93 RX7s, two WRX wagons, a bunch of Mustangs, 911, and others. I will post some pictures if I get time. Great fun, nice people, tons of track time - went through nearly 3 tanks of gas more than 60 laps.

17. Steve in Minnesota

Brad.....you suck! :D

You better not let Bicycle Bob know....he'll be pi$$ed! He likes the auto-x but would give up auto-x in the blink of the eye to go to the track like that.

Do you know of any other such events this fall?

Steve

18. Steve in Minnesota

Nabil

Sorry, I'm afraid I was guilty of guessing on the spelling of your name. I meant to ask but figured if you got annoyed enough you would kick one of us in the nuts.....glad it was Brad and not me. :lol: I won't get it wrong again!

Brad

My bulbs came in yesterday. I have a set of steering rack bushings coming in this week also. I still have my pulley to put on too. I the weather is crappy this weekend I might get brave and try the lights but probably not.

All

Lets get together this Sunday! 5:00 on Sunday??? I have to be home by 7:00 for West Wing though! My world comes to a screaching halt when West Wing comes on! Pretty sad!

Steve Boyd

19. beeloo

beeloo New Member

It's all good!

:lol:

+1 for meeting this sunday.

20. Steve in Minnesota

I forgot the "where" part......I would say DQ on North Broadway but I don't know if they are still open. I will try to remember to drive by on my way home from work and check it out. I will post with the results of my investigations.

Nabil....we can talk then about when to do your uppipe/downpipe. I need to commit this weekend to things Tamara wants to do since I feel guilty for doing car stuff the past two weekends.

I'm looking for some input on an uppipe for myself. What did you end up getting?

Steve Boyd

21. beeloo

beeloo New Member

DQ works for me just keep in mind the small parking lot and dropping temps.

I bought a DC Sports UP. It is pretty much identical to ERZ/Helix flex up's.

I have posted some pictures Here.

According to my research, UP are critical and need to be of good quality. BUT was not able to find a specific UP that has a bad rep. Most enthusiasts/posts suggested a flex UP for easy installation (our stock up is flex too).

As you are looking to get some type of EM, i would'nt worry about CEL's.

OEM gaskets are 'teh' best. So replace by only OEM.

In short, there is no worst UP but i've read that cobb is 'best' because it uses different material (deals with heat better) than others. However, never seen better performance results.

Good Read

22. Steve in Minnesota

We can have it at my place for all I care. Wouldn't be a big deal!

I think I'm swaying toward a Bosal uppipe. I like the idea that it looks OEM, that they make the ones for the STI and that it comes with studs and gaskets.

It is only supposed to only be a high in the 50's on Sunday.....maybe my place would be a good idea.

Steve

23. LeiboSTi

Steve,
    Bob will be totally bummed. This group was awesome. I actually gave up two turns on the track to rest because I was going out so much that I felt i needed a BREAK!

MAM is a great track and the people were great. They are done for the season, but will be at it again next year. They are looking for better participation which will lead to more frequent events. Even better, the event was $150 for the whole day including transponders. Not bad when you factor in more than 60 laps by most people.

I had a Vishnu up-pipe on my WRX. Very nice unit. I sold the car with the up-pipe on. I still have the stock up-pipe from the WRX. Anyone that wants it is welcome to have it FOC. You can gut the cat and keep the stock look while saving money for other mods. I will try to make the meet Sunday.

Brad

24. pbedroske

25. beeloo

beeloo New Member

haha.. group installation on up pipes!

I'm up for the meet. We probably could discuss getting UP and their installations.

26. Steve in Minnesota

Brad

Where did you get the Vishnu uppipe? I tried looking at their website but couldn't figure much out!

Pat

I'm also considering the Crucial....looks like a nice unit!

I'm not in a major hurry on the uppipe....just by next auto-x season. I thing the little boost in HP and lower spool up will help me a ton.

All

How about we just make it at my place on Sunday! PM me for a map and directions which I will have to send from home.

Steve Boyd

27. Steve in Minnesota

Brad

Did you have the flex version or the solid version?

Did you buy it direct from Vishnu?

Steve Boyd

28. LeiboSTi

Bought it direct from Vishnu back when their website was actually easy to navigate. At that time they did not have the availability of the flex pipe. Solid worked well for about 20K miles.

Brad

29. Steve in Minnesota

I said "screw-it" yesterday afternoon and ordered the bosal from Oakos. I found a price on the Vishnu....more than I want to pay. I like the idea that the bosal looks pretty OEM, comes with everything (studs and gaskets) and that Oakos is kind enough to show whether they have something in stock on their website.

I got your pm. I will e-mail the map when I get home tonite.

Steve Boyd

30. LeiboSTi

Thanks Steve, I don't know what I was thinking. I can't make it this weekend because I will be in Springfield IL for a wedding. I will keep the map for late night install emergency help.

I am sure you will love the Bosal.

Brad

31. Steve in Minnesota

Brad

Understand the wedding thing....I think you mentioned it before.

This time of year our calendar is pretty busy too.

I took a 1/2 day today and got some stuff done including installing my Perrin crank pulley thats been sitting in the garage for four months and installing some Whiteline steering rack bushing that came yesterday. I'm not sure I'm feeling the difference with either....other than the acceleration seems a little smoother. The pulley was a piece of cake. The steering rack bushings just took a little determination. I came real close to doing the headlight clearing but decided to wait until we could do it together. Maybe we can con Pat into doing his too and make it a party.

Uppipe will be here on Monday if UPS doesn't hose me. Don't know when I'll get around to putting it in. I think if we do Nabil's several year old car with rusted on fasteners first then mine will seem like a piece of cake. :D Those who are going to be here on Sunday can discuss a schedule for doing both maybe.

Steve Boyd

32. Steve in Minnesota

SORRY GUYS......I'm going to bail on tonite! Too much crap to do this weekend.

Let's try again for next weekend!

Steve Boyd

33. pbedroske

Let's do the Fall Run with bikerboy (see Event Discussion) one of these next few sundays. I have the pager next weekend, but hopefully i'll make it.

34. Steve in Minnesota

Pat

I couldn't figure out which weekend he was shooting for.

My folks are in town next weekend. The weekend after that I was planning on doing a Auto-x down in Waterloo and the weekend after that we're probably going down to Iowa to see Tami's folks. Not looking good for me for the fun run even though it does sound like a great time.

We'll figure out something.

Steve

35. pbedroske

36. beeloo

beeloo New Member

Sorry dude that sucks! :x

I thought I reminded you to make sure you ask the guy to unmarry it before sending it to you. Well.. Russ (WRX1) had the same thing happen to him and the guy ended up paying for the reflash, that is the same accessport that I ended up buying.

You just need to make sure that the seller knows that it is his fault and he needs to pay for it.. not you!.

Good Luck!

P.S: As my car keeps asking me about the up/dp.. i shut er up by installing painted skirts and splash guards.. ;)

37. bikerboy

bikerboy Subie GOD Staff Member

38. Steve in Minnesota

ROCHESTER DOOOOODS and dooooooetts!......

I'm thinking about doing Bikerboy's fall run next Sunday the 23rd.

Any interest?

If so, we could potentially meet at my place and convoy to Wabasha at say 9:00ish?

Any thoughts? I would most likely bring the boss along. :D

Steve

39. bikerboy

It will be a great run with the fall colors in full force! It is great to bring your significant other as they will love the trees! You will love the roads and might miss the trees because you are having to much fun on the roads!

40. beeloo

beeloo New Member

Steve,

Are you in for sure?

I'm probably in. Will confirm this friday or so. Sounds fun.
    Also, i dont have a walkie talkie.. so if im lost IM LOST! lol

41. pbedroske

I'm in.

42. Steve in Minnesota

I'm definately in!

Meet at my place a little before 9:00 to leave by 9:00 to convoy to Wabasha!?!

Matt.....is there a plan to stop somewhere for lunch?

Steve

43. bikerboy

Bring something to munch on in the car. We ussally stop in Eu claire (SP) for lunch

44. Steve in Minnesota

I have a set. You can use one if you go.

Steve

45. beeloo

beeloo New Member

Cool! im in!