Rotor buy

Discussion in 'For Sale : Car Parts' started by WRX1, Feb 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gspot

Gspot New Member

Stopped by the store yesterday and installed last night. I also only used half a pint of ATE. I thought it would take the whole thing and possibly a little more. It was pure blue fluid bleeding out though. Rotors look really good.

2. Substeroo

Substeroo Well-Known Member

Yeah I got the wrong size rotors. He gave me one for the 15" wheel. I did however, install SS-lines and put in a whole bottle of the super duper blue. Now I (actually my wife) have new pads, lines, fluid, and next Monday (hopefully) new rotors! It stops very nicely even with the old warped rotors...I can feel that I really need some suspension upgrades though.

3. RallyNavvie

RallyNavvie Well-Known Member

You didn't put on the pads that you're going to use for your new rotors did you?

4. Substeroo

crap.

<font size="1">yes.</font id="size1">

5. Gspot

Gspot New Member

whats wrong with doing pads first?

6. Substeroo

It'll wear them funny and I think you have to get new one's to match the new rotors.

7. subi_2.5rs

subi_2.5rs New Member

lol..will at lease you stop better....

8. Gspot

Gspot New Member

I think I read somewhere that they break in better with old rotors.

9. subi_2.5rs

subi_2.5rs New Member

now thats sumtin....all i can think of is them pads eating there way into the rotors....must grip more i guess...

10. RallyNavvie

RallyNavvie Well-Known Member

No, you want new pads with new rotors so they bed to the new rotor surface properly. Rotors tend to have small flaws that cause the pads to wear in a certain way, not to mention how they're seated with the calipers. Putting new pads on existing rotors is OK because the pads will form to the rotor after bedding them in. Doesn't work so well introducing a new rotor surface to the pads.

11. Substeroo

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> It'll wear them funny and I think you have to get new one's to match the new rotors.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That's what I said but in not as much detail.

Do you know if they would score (sp?) the new rotors but in the opposite way? Or would the old pads just wear smoothly to matche the surface of the new rotors? Either way, I will be putting on the new rotors on Monday so it will only have been a week of driving on the old rotors.

12. Todd

Todd The Originator Staff Member

I know I read where Race Car Teams would burnish new pads to seasoned rotors and new rotors to burnished pads. It decreases the amount of time and effort needed to break them in.

With that said, you do not want to bed in new pads to "bad" rotors. No groves, or warpage. I have also installed used pads with new rotors to burn off protective coatings before installing the "Good" pads. YMMV.

13. subi_2.5rs

subi_2.5rs New Member

how do you know when the coated are gone?

14. Todd

Todd The Originator Staff Member

When the rotors stop smoking.
    Most rotors are dipped in a oil substance to prevent corrosion during shipping. I attempt to wash all of it off but some is always left in the cooling veins. It will put up a stink and smokes some when I burnish in the brakes. Better to smoke and smell for me than the customer :)

15. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

When I got my rotors installed and did a quick break in on the way to Dan's house, I noticed that my pads were wearing only the top and bottom of the pads on the rotor face. I suppose my used pads aren't flat then, and I need more bedding in time. :I

16. subi_2.5rs

subi_2.5rs New Member

let me take out your car and it will wear out perfectly....

17. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

Don't worry, my friend Lee. I know how you drive your car. Hehehe! All I gotta do is drive like its a rental and ta-dah! ...nice and shiny glazed rotors instantly. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.