S.O.A.-Subaru Addicts Ononymous.

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Silky21L, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Silky21L

Silky21L Well-Known Member

I've met a few of you that have as big of an issue as I have. An uncontrollable urge to drain your bank account in exchange for subaru cars and parts. Here in this thread, we will have a safe space to discuss each of our issues and hopefully restore financial stabily, finish our project cars, clean our garages, and have a somewhat reasonable number of cars in our driveways.

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I don't know if i like that "reasonable amount of cars in our driveways", but the rest applies! Subscribing because relevant!

3. Silky21L

My Story,
    My name is Cole, I am aware of my issue. I always tell myself I will sell a subaru, to justify buying another. I have never sold a subaru in my life. I still scan the classifieds on a daily basis, even though I have several non-running subarus that already need my time and money. My fiance has covered multiple rent and grocery bills, because I spent all my money on a turbo, transmission, or wheels. I dont have a garage, so I turned my fathers shop into a jungle gym of subaru parts, and his driveway into a salvage yard. I currently don't want help with my issue, because there is a legacy on craigslist that is tugging at my soul.
    20171005_133717-1280x720.jpg 20171005_134029-1280x720.jpg 20171005_134010-1280x720.jpg 20171005_133934-1280x720.jpg 20171005_133844-1280x720.jpg

Attached Files:

pcwerk and subie-roo like this.
  4. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Subaru Oddicts Anonymous?

04subie and Aegis like this.
  5. Silky21L

Woah, i said safe space bro.

ocie, 04subie, jubella2 and 2 others like this.
  6. Silky21L

But do please halp edit

7. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Fuxt

tangledupinblu likes this.
  8. tangledupinblu

I see some stuff i need!

pcwerk likes this.
  9. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

It is now moar fuxt.

10. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

I just figured it was normal.... I am down to 3 at the moment.... and they all run & drive, I better go find a lonely WRX that needs some help (the bugeye on the left in the first pic wants to come to my heated shop)

11. tangledupinblu

Cole, you're GD collection is lacking a blobeye...

And i vote for keeping the fiancé as well.

12. Mnelson

Mnelson Well-Known Member

@Silky21L that outback looks familiar... How is it? I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss it.

Welp, Im Mike and I made the mistake of test driving a 11 wrx a few winters ago and fell in love with the subaru. I had life figured out until then. I did my homework and found a wrx hatch of that gen.. Of course I told myself I would keep it stock until the warranty died, which paid off the first time. But look at me now. Traded the wrx in for a 13 sti, went full bolt ons, corn, self tuned, and happily gapping minivans.

I had an outback. Oh how wonderful it wasn't. But it was a wonderful project and I learned so much from it. When I realized I had a problem, I sold the outback, thinking that I could keep it to one. But of course I can't. I keep looking for 05+ outback for a "daily" which the sti technically is...

I have this American classic sitting around in my garage, shocks collapsed and covers with stuff, while I boost around the city in my winter whip.

So finding a house to live is the only thing stopping me from a 3.6r daily so the sti can be what ever it wants to be...

Tldr, I'm actually being financially responsible and I hate it.

subie-roo and tangledupinblu like this.
  13. Silky21L

Thnk U ❤

14. tangledupinblu

My name is Josh, and i've been addicted to Subarus since about 1998. I fought the desire well for awhile. But in 2002, when the WRX was introduced, i knew that it was only a matter of time until i was roaming back alleys and deserted areas trying to get my fix. In 2003 I became a junky and got my first Subaru, a WRB bugeye, we called her Blu. She was an evil mistress that would call you in like the Sirens until you inevitably found yourself in the seat, groping at the wheel.

Next I acquired my first love, a GC. Not just any GC mind you...but a GC swapped with the best engine that Subaru has ever produced, the 3.3L H6. She's known as the RSVX and is a dirty girl. Looking forward to taking her out and riding her hard (with Sheen) next weekend at the rallyx. Now it's like I'm hooked on crack, AND heroin. The addiction was growing and mods started happening to the WRX, dollar after bloody dollar.

Had to get my wife addicted as well so that we could share all of the things. So we bought her the cleanest 2004 Outback that i'd ever seen. She loved it, and it loved her back! It also allowed me to haul around more contraband in the dark of night like motors, wheels, and go fasty bits. It was the 5-some that i had always dreamed about!

I am currently hoarding doors, trunks, HVAC systems, and tires in my basement. Sure, i'm a little ashamed of my vices. But that's why i am here. To find help and a voice of reasoning when i say, "but honey, i NEED that new boost gauge!" Or, "it's too good of a deal to pass up!"

Thanks for listening, I feel better.

15. Squiggly

Squiggly Squiggly

I suppose I should come clean. Currently on my 7th Subaru and I'm afraid I've passed the addiction on to my wife who has now had 3. I love Subaru's so much that I started dealing full time :/

JuStaWRX, phi11, drac77 and 2 others like this.
  16. tangledupinblu

It's true. Haven't purchased from him yet...but i hear that he has the best ish in town!

Silky21L likes this.
  17. jubella2

jubella2 GC8 FTW

I had a subaru and then got clean. Now I've relapsed and have a subaru again.

18. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

One of the founding members of the Ultimate Subaru Message Boards shared this in 2004, written by his wife. This seems like a good time to re-share.

Coping with a Subaru Addict

Get a bigger mailbox. Subaru parts come in all shapes and sizes.

Take up stamp collecting. Subaru parts come from all over the world.

Warn your postal carriers. Subaru parts rarely travel alone.

A Subaru addict has the ability to identify Subaru parts by the shape and size of the box. A less experienced addict will need to look at the return address. A more experienced addict will be able to tell you their wheels arrived just pulling in the driveway.

Clear a spot somewhere in the garage, basement, or spare room for parts boxes. Any strong box is a candidate for shipping parts out. Shipping boxes are recyclable. Once you can no longer cover the old label, just turn the box inside out. The outflow of parts is inversely proportionate to the inflow. Your spare shipping box supply will grow accordingly. Also maintain a supply of packing materials, Styrofoam peanuts, Styrofoam corners from electronic equipment, Wal-Mart sacks, newspaper, tissue paper, bubble wrap, those air pocket thingies, even strangely printed t-shirts from Flappys.

Note – You will end up with car parts in various rooms in your house eventually. Hopefully this will only be temporary.

The Ultimate Subaru Message Board feeds the addiction. EBay and PayPal are supplemental to the addiction and may lead to other addictions. A Subaru addict often has other addictions, such as food, computers or AdamAnt.

Gather local junkyard numbers and post by the telephone. Cell phones may not reach some remote areas but you should be able to contact the office. Don’t worry; they’ll know whom you are trying to reach. He’s the one who they start looking up the current Subaru inventory list the minute they saw him pull into the lot. The guys at the parts stores will know who he is too.

The “addiction” is also contagious. Subaru addicts enjoy “hooking up” friends and relatives.

Brush up on your Subaru identification skills. A Subaru addict takes pride in being able to spot Subarus several yards away. It also gives them great pride when your 6 year old can spot them several yards away. A word of caution – reaction of the Subaru addict may vary if you happen to spot one before they do.

You will develop a whole new wardrobe categorization system: shirts, Subaru shirts, and garage shirts.

Grounding the addict is acceptable. Providing the list of “honeydos” with the stipulation that the addict is not allowed back in the garage will result in the quickest completion of the list that you have ever seen. Warning – Beware the heated garage. This just allows them to fuel their addict year round and not do all the stuff they said they would do in the summer because they could work on the cars all winter.

Develop guidelines early on the size of your Subaru fleet. Determine the necessity of owning at least one car from every year, a Turbo of every style, different styles in the same paint color, a Turbo Brat, a Rally Brat, the Good Brat, the off-roader, a multi-passenger vehicle, the backup to the multi-passenger vehicle, something to tow the off-roader, a tinkerer, and the daily driver. The more room you have available, the more vehicles that will be in possession at any given time. Beware of the renting of additional storage units so as not to upset the neighbors. Warn your car insurer of the upcoming inventory. Warning – be very careful when enforcing your guidelines. Indicating that one car will have to go before buying that new EBay item may end up in a trade with Shawn. Technically the car left.

Get used to the looks you will receive while riding around in your vehicle. Carry a camera so you can catch the guy that about fell out of his Jeep trying to get a good look.

Start a journal to record all the interesting remarks about your vehicle. “Dude, cool car.” “Dude, what year is that Subaru you drive?” “My friends and I have a bet that this isn’t original parts.” “That is NOT an ordinary old Subaru.” “Just what is that?”

Be prepared for the occasional drive through the Subaru dealership, “to give the service guys a treat.”

Watch for more browsing through the want adds. Especially after 2004, when they are just waiting for that used turbo Baja to land within their price window.

Subaru-eze translation Guide

“I’m not buying any more Subarus.” Translates to - expect a new Subaru in transit to your house with in the next 24 hours.

“I’m only going to focus on Brats.” Translates to – that new Subaru that is in transit will end up being a wagon, sedan, or hatch.

“I’m just going out to the garage for a moment.” Translates to – don’t be surprised if you wake up at 3:00am and he’s still out there. Be prepared, once he does come in, he will tell you all the wonderful things he’s been doing. Learn to acknowledge while maintaining sleep.

“I’m just going to send an email to Moosens.” Translates to – don’t be surprised if you wake up at 3:00am and he’s fallen asleep at the computer.

“I’m reducing inventory.” Don’t hold your breath. Even if a vehicle finds a new home, its vacancy may justify a new purchase.

Start a cross-reference guide. McBrat, McGriz, and Mick are all the same person and all may be used in the same sentence. It is beneficial to relate the board name(s), first name, and state of residency.
    http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/11762-coping-with-a-subaru-addict/

JuStaWRX, Silky21L, MrBlue and 2 others like this.
  19. drac77

drac77 Well-Known Member

Is the first one free?

20. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I bought my first one in 2003. I have since owned 16. Currently own 3.

Unlike most addicts, however, I've made money on most of them.

pcwerk and GrawvyRobber like this.
  21. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

Owned 16? Holy cow! I haven't owned that many but did buy my first one in 1987. That's all I got...

22. subie-roo

subie-roo Well-Known Member

My name is Liz, and I'm an addict. It all started with a 99 Impreza Outback Sport. I always wanted one ever since I saw Crocodile Dundee cruising around in one. We got married with it, took it on our honeymoon, and was the first Subaru my daughter ever rode in.

It didn't take long for my husband to join in - I remember the day he took the 04 WRX for a test drive, he came home excited and said "I need this car!!"

I loved fueling his need to modify the WRX by researching, recommending and supplying car parts. I thought I was just enabling my husband but really I was just feeding my own addiction. I got a company car (a 15 Outback) and sold the 99, a decision I regret to this day.

In 2014 we decided we needed a more family friendly car and ordered a FXT. It was very, very nice and my husband gave it the old college try but the CVT sucked a&$!

Fast forward July 2016. One day, while getting an oil change on the FXT my husband decided to take one of the new WRX's for a test drive. Needless to say, one came home with us that day.

At this point, I know we have a problem, and I introduced my family members and got them hooked as well. My sister is on her 3rd Subuaru, my MIL her 2nd, and both my brother and mom have joined the club. Holidays at my house have become a mini-meet.

Since buying the WRX, I have adopted 2 more wagons, an 08 Outback and an 05 LGT. The LGT needed love and threw me into a full relapse and I spend too much time entirely looking for parts, buying parts and planning what modifications are next. I'm in deep, and I'm not sure I want help :)

23. MidnightImpreza

MidnightImpreza Well-Known Member

I bought my 06 Impreza 2.5i in 2010. That is my first and only. I love it. It will die with me.

#addicted

24. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Hi I am derp I had two legacy gt wagons but I smashed one into a wall and one got totalled in a hail storm now I have a Supra and a Honda.

25. tangledupinblu

IMG_0864.JPG

Cotts612 and MidnightImpreza like this.
  26. Silky21L

@Quinn I made this thread after seeing your driveway picture in your build thread. It can be hard admitting your problem, I know, but you're not alone.

Quinn likes this.
  27. Quinn

Quinn Well-Known Member

@Silky21L I did not choose this life, I was chosen

28. subie-roo

INTERVENTION NEEDED!!

My inert desire/need to adopt wagons has struck again and I am seriously considering picking up a first gen Legacy LSi while on my travels out west.

3 wagons isn't too many right?

Cotts612 and silver03 like this.
  29. tangledupinblu

Despite what your husband may say/think, you can never have too many wagons!

subie-roo likes this.
  30. Eazy_E_Rich

Eazy_E_Rich Well-Known Member

31. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Troof!

subie-roo and tangledupinblu like this.
  32. tangledupinblu

33. pleiades

pleiades Well-Known Member

Thought you had a 6spd in yours already?

34. pleiades

pleiades Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20171108-221518.png
    Hey, that's my transmission! I didn't get all that other cool stuff with mine though...:(

35. housemusic1

housemusic1 Well-Known Member

You can have the LSi, but you will need to sell me your LGT first.....:p

subie-roo likes this.
  36. subie-roo

4B2FFFE5-9890-461A-B5D6-A0F281BBA384.jpeg Haven’t found a tLeg yet but might pull the trigger on this 2.5rs (trade for parts).

jubella2 and Quinn like this.
  37. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

You people...

38. Quinn

Quinn Well-Known Member

That looks like a decent one!

39. subie-roo

It leaves some things to be desired and will likely need some work, but at the low low price of a winter wheel set up and some leftover suspension parts I can’t say no.

Now I just need to find a tLeg wagon and a Baja (just because) and I’ll be set.

Quinn likes this.
  40. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Buy a Supra. Then you'll really be set.

subie-roo likes this.
  41. pillboy

My name is Mark, and I have my 18-month coin.

Silky21L and tangledupinblu like this.
  42. tangledupinblu

Hi Mark.

Silky21L and pillboy like this.
  43. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

I had about 10 years clean...... then I spent all the coins on a rampant bugeye binge that is not soon going to stop. I came to this board for support and it has just fueled the desires. My girl has talked me into letting two of them go, altho it's just a bandaid for the situation as I will spend the $ to expand the storage space with a shop addition.
    Then the real BENDER will begin.

Silky21L, tangledupinblu and pillboy like this.
  44. pillboy

Wow...10 years and fell off the wagon.

MrBlue likes this.
  45. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

He actually fell into the wagon...

Ba-dum-tssss