Saabaru conversion?

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by euro, Mar 29, 2013.

1. euro

euro Well-Known Member

theoretically speaking, if i found a Saab 9-2x that had been hit from the rear passenger side. would i be able to swap the front end onto my 05 impreza? Fenders, hood, bumper, headlights and probably radiator support would need to be swapped. has anyone seen this conversion done before?

2. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

yup, this is my favorite IMPREZA front end.
    adams car 3.jpg

I think you need the sideskirts too.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
    silver03 and wrxwied like this.
  3. euro

euro Well-Known Member

ooooo any links to the conversion

4. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

no, i just did a quick google image search,
    I'm sure you could look on NASIOC and dirtyimpreza.

5. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Yes!! Do it! Check out saab92x.com, there have been a few people that have done it.

Let me know if you do pick up a 92x shell and want to part any of it...

6. wrxwied

wrxwied Member

I love that look on the sedan, would probably look just as good even better on a hatch, after Credits pointed out the rear fenders. Would like to see some pictures without the steelies + different angles.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  7. Credits

Credits New Member

I like it. Only thing bothering me is the smoothness of the front fenders compared to the rears. I gotta see it in person, otherwise I'd try it out.

8. euro

euro Well-Known Member

I would have to agree with it looking better on the hatchs. depending how much the front flares out you could even flare the rear fender wells a bit to make them match perfectly. I'll keep a look out for any salvage 92x's just in case. I'd be more than happy to try this out

9. tJ914

tJ914 Active Member

I think the fogs might also be different, but yeah, generally speaking that's everything I've seen listed as needed for the conversion.

Doesn't sound like its quite plug and play either with the radiator support, that a little more customization is needed to make it work; but that could be going from surbaru -> saab, and not the other way as your considering.

The Saab front end will match a lot better to a wagon, then it will to a sedan.

I'll be curious to see what kind of luck you have finding a saab front end. The only reason I've done any research on going from Saab to Subaru, is the fact that any bit of sheetmetal damage to the front of the Saab pretty much totals them out due to the lack of availability of replacement parts.

10. euro

euro Well-Known Member

i think you have it backwards, I have an Impreza going to a Saab

11. tJ914

tJ914 Active Member

Yeah, I know that, maybe to write it more clearly; what I saw in my research was that swapping the subaru radiator support into the saab isn't just plug and play from what I gather.

With the following point being; in your case putting the saab radiator support into a subaru might be different, I don't know as I haven't researched it.

I've researched the swap before as I have a 9-2x...and saab replacement front ends are getting hard to find.

12. predavore

predavore Well-Known Member

The front end just seems out of place on there. The 9-2x seems smooth which doesn't fit with the harder lines on the rear of the impreza. Rounded fender versus squared off fender. I would rather have the impreza fenders modified to fit the 9-2x headlights. Then that would be a sweet look.

13. euro

euro Well-Known Member

that probably wouldn't be the case with a outback sport wagon since there isn't any box flare to any of the fenders

14. euro

euro Well-Known Member

Found this while searching for my 07 wrx lol. Might be on the table again due to bumper fender and hood damage.

15. pinjasaur

pinjasaur Active Member

What happened re: damage? If you find any good candidates and have any intention of parting I know of myself plus at least one other who might benefit. :)

16. euro

euro Well-Known Member

Father-in-law's driveway has a brick driveway extension that sunk. While i was backing up to leave i finished off the previous owner's front end damage and broke a few more tree clips and stretched the fender mount holes. Hood and fender have odd damage in the passenger rear of the hood that's not noticable unless you're right over it but if i have to drop it off for paint i might as well make the front end perfect again

pinjasaur and tangledupinblu like this.
  17. pinjasaur

pinjasaur Active Member

It's certainly doable, but will be tricky to find panels in good shape. None of the ones on my Saabaru are. It is what it is.

If you're patient you might be able to piece it together from junkyards. Gotta watch out for heavy rust on the fenders if you're looking regionally. :(