Saving a bugeye

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by atacamaR, May 28, 2010.

1. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

damn, paint looks good! Can't wait to see it in person. I bet I have a flashback to 2001 when we first got a glimpse of an MBP bugeye. I also love the shaved keyhole.

Also, this is the perfect opportunity to replace the rear glass with a giant outward facing lcd monitor, wire in a switch for a back-up camera, and confuse the hell out of tailgaters.

2. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

GLORIOUS!!!

this is amazing

3. atacamaR

atacamaR Well-Known Member

hahaha, that'd be great, especially if you could add your own subtitles too...

4. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

This happened in Tennessee in July, it was about 112 degrees in the middle of a field and sat there for 3 days during a music festival... Something must have cracked and leaked some of it out. It still mostly dims though, but its not as nice as it used to be.

5. atacamaR

Rear clip dismantled

I helped Bruce dismantle the rear clip today. He had most of the subframe bolts off when I rolled in. As mentioned earlier I needed some parts from the '02 clip that will replace some of the '05 pieces I pull off from the '05 rear. The subframe was pulled and the gas tank was dropped in favor of swapping fuel pumps because the replacement clip had many hoses just cut off. Access to the connections for the hoses would require dropping the tank anyway so a few more bolts and we were able to separate it nicely.

The easy way to drop a subframe; just peel the top off...:D
    [​IMG]

There were brake lines interwoven with misc. hoses which would require dropping the tank as well since the rest of the suspension/brakes are being left intact.
    [​IMG]

A tiny camber problem...
    [​IMG]

Here is the empty rear shell, if you look at the left side of this pic you can see how bad the frame was mangled.
    [​IMG]

Something is missing in this pic.
    [​IMG]

... and that would be the good quarter panel that I cut out. Does anyone need a left rear quarter???
    [​IMG]

I cut the rest of the clip up and it is loaded and ready for disposal.
    [​IMG]

I'll be picking up the car and spare suspension within the next couple days.

6. predavore

predavore Well-Known Member

Whoa... what a project!

7. Ninja 4 Life

Ninja 4 Life Well-Known Member

Looks good man! Glad to see someone put some love into it, rather than let it go to waste.

8. winterfourever

winterfourever Member

awesome project! can't wait to see how it goes!

9. atacamaR

thanks everyone for all nice comments -it's been fun for sure and i highly recommend others do build threads. it takes a little extra time but worth it.

10. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

glad to see its all coming along really well.

I'm not on real often on here anymore, so sorry for the late, late response, but I enjoy my Aero quite a bit.

11. atacamaR

Bringing it back home

On Friday (June 13) it was time to bring the wrx back home to begin the final teardown before reassembly. Not much interesting to show for the day. It was a day filled with lots of running around though so I was glad when it was over.

Here is the sucker that agreed to help for the day... thanks Craig! :)
    [​IMG]

Everything was loaded easily enough although it did take a bit longer than expected. Luckily, we had a break in Friday's rain so we stayed dry. Bruce and Craig seemed to enjoy taking shots at my expense... next time I won't be so distracted.:p
    [​IMG]

I hate tailgaters.
    [​IMG]

Give the help the camera and this is what you get...??? ;)
    [​IMG]

We arrived at my place safe and sound but starving. Wendy's junior bacon cheeseburgers never tasted so good. I also want to thank Bev for use of her truck for the day and to Justin for letting me use the trailer again. Towing the car couldn't have been easier and it tracked nice and smooth all the way up here.
    [​IMG]

There was plenty of room to fit the subframe on the back of the trailer which meant no second trip. It really helps if you bring along house keys so you can get into the house, or the garage. :rolleyes: :banghead: With the help of a neighbor that popped over during the unload process we unloaded everything in the driveway in a few minutes. Later that night the car went into the garage and the subframe was moved to the side of the house. Note: The rear window was put back in before we picked it up.
    [​IMG]

12. atacamaR

Final Dismantle

Saturday began with a visit by a very nice 2.5 RS
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The suspension was being adjusted for an auto-x on Sunday. The tires up front were rubbing a bit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I spent some time in the morning getting ready to drop the subframe. I started by loosening all bolts to make sure they'd give. If they didn't I hit them with some PB blaster. I also drained some fuel from the gas tank which should make it easier to drop and move around. I removed a few brackets holding the front of the subframe in. I also moved the other subframe in the garage so I can compare the two. I'll be using the '05 crossmember and most of the subframe. I know it bolts up clean so it will avoid any surprises. I'll grab the strut assemblies and rear diff from the '02. I'm really hoping the '02 sway bar is undamaged from the accident...
    [​IMG]

Today (Sunday June 13th), after removing the 6 main subframe bolts (2 upfront, 4 through crossmember) the subframe was lowered slowly.
    [​IMG]

Dropping the subframe slowly allowed for constant checking of the strut towers to make sure they didn't damage anything on the way out. It also allowed for many quick checks to make sure nothing was hung up on stray brake lines, or abs connections.
    [​IMG]

Despite thinking this out carefully I hit a snag. I realize that if I drop the subframe out completely there will not be enough clearance to slide the subframe out of the car. Why don't I have a lift... :) The back end simply cannot be lifted high enough to get it out with the tools I have. Therefore, the subframe was jacked back up and the 4 bolts through the crossmember were put back into place to secure things. The new plan was to pull the driver side strut assembly and slide the subframe to the right slightly to clear fender and then pull everything out. It was at this time I wished I had an impact gun. I put my 24" breaker bar and 19" socket on one of the bolts that holds the strut in place, it won't budge. I hit it with PB Blaster and let it sit a bit. I grab a cheater bar and add that to the mix and I finally get it to break free. My breaker bar flexed quite a bit and I thought I might snap it. It now has a slight bend in it. :)

You can see the strut is removed in this pic.
    [​IMG]

Dropping the subframe at this point takes no time at all and careful maneuvering gets it out of the rear.
    [​IMG]

It's starting to look pretty bare under there. I had my jack stands at their height limit and it made me uncomfortable so I later add a second set in case the first set slips.
    [​IMG]

This is one of my favorite shots. Something is missing...
    [​IMG]

Things aren't too messy yet and I can still fit all the daily drivers in the garage with a little clean up. Since the subframe sat out overnight I wrapped a few items and electrical connections to keep the water out.
    [​IMG]

They just don't make garages big enough. I only have about a foot of clearance on the passenger side on my spare stall. So far it hasn't been a problem. I realize that when I put the subframe back it will be nice to have 3 people doing it. The strut assemblies will catch easily on the fenders when jacking it up. I should probably look at the service manual to see how the techs do it. I probably should have read how they pull it too, oh well.
    [​IMG]

Ahh, the last piece to get out. I just have to remove 4 super long bolts, some evap/vent hoses that go to the rear charcoal cannister, the filler hose and the gas tank will be out. I won't get to that until later in the week though. I'll update the thread at that time.
    [​IMG]

I am starting to collect the paperwork for the salvage inspection. I'm a bit worried that this will be a hassle despite documenting the best I can. The information the state provides you is pretty basic and the inspection is supposedly pretty thorough. I have receipts for the full rear clip and the body work so with that documentation plus this build thread I'm hoping for a good inspection. I know it's still a ways off until I get this together but last week the paperwork from the state came regarding the inspection.

Lastly, I'll be ordering some clips, fluid, and some other misc parts this week to prepare for re-assembly.

13. Zombie

Zombie Well-Known Member

Now is the perfect time for me to bring my welder over. This would be siiiiick!

[​IMG]

edit: oh, and the '05 rear swaybar mounts are improved compared to the '02 (which ironically has the bigger bar). Car is looking great.

14. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

The fuel tank is fun. Disconnect all the lines you see on both sides and you should be OK, along with the wiring.

15. atacamaR

I dunno about that. It's not subtle enough for me, have anything flashier?

Everything on the front side is removed, I think I just need to deal with the filler neck, and some evaporation lines that go to the charcoal canister for emissions. I'll look more at it this week. I'll be swapping the '02 tank in since it has good gas and the fuel pump wiring is different.

16. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

Id say techs probably remove the struts from the setup then install etc

looking good

17. atacamaR

Finally, Disassembly Completed

Well, I had a bit of time to sneak into the garage last night so I pulled the filler neck and gas tank. This officially marks the end of the dismantling. From here on out things will only go back on the car (i hope...) :D

Now it's fuel tank swap time and determining if the rear crossmember was damaged in the accident. I have the '02 and the '05 but it would be a bit easier to use the '02 and not swap the '05 crossmember over. Visually inspecting both crossmember's they both look fine. The '02 was not directly hit. but since it was such a good hit I'm worried perhaps the crossmember was twisted- something I can't visually see is out of alignment. How tough are these to bend?... I plan on trying to take some measurements to make sure the crossmember is square to the subframe. The '05 has 2 bent rear lateral links-perhaps from being grabbed or lifted by a tow truck. The fronts lateral links on the '05 are aluminum and seem to be in good shape. I'm wondering if it is worth swapping and using the larger '05 aluminum ones vs. the '02's. Anyone have any thoughts regarding those?

I was looking everywhere for my flare nut wrench I was using on brake lines. I finally found it. My 2 year old likes to help me out in the garage...:) it was behind a spare wheel tucked up against a ladder.
    [​IMG]

A couple shots of the filler neck I took for another member in order to see the connections.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once all the soft lines were removed, the hard vent pipes were move out of the way and the filler neck bolts were removed. It was then time to remove the tank straps. I simply moved the jack under the tank, places some cut 2x4 pieces on the jack to brace it and attacked the bolts. The tank is held in by 4 bolts(12mm) that secure the straps. The 2 rear bolts are ridiculously long but all come out very easy. From there it's just guiding it down being careful not to let it get caught up on anything.
    [​IMG]

Dismantling Done. woot! I left the filler neck on in case the gas tank were to tip. I'd rather not have a puddle of crap gas to swim in under there, much less have to clean up the mess.
    [​IMG]

I'm hoping by friday to have time to swap tanks, jack it back in, and have the charcoal cannister with all vent lines installed. If there is time I hope to have a subframe all sorted out and ready to go back in so I can find some help for the weekend to help guide it in.

I still haven't picked up the extra s, or brake fluid which I need to get very soon. This will start going back together fast now.

18. atacamaR

Gas tank and emissions are now in

I was able to get some more progress done on the car last night. I swapped the new gas tank back in and hooked up the '05 fuel filler neck. The '02 was rusted really really bad. I also needed to attach part of the emissions system to the car (cannister, drain valve, and hoses). This part sucked. Most of the brackets were mangled pretty good in the accident so I spent a fair amount of time making/bending brackets and coming up with small fixes. I grabbed what little '05 parts I had on hand to replace anything broken on the '02 setup but there wasn't much to pick through. If anyone is wondering or cares, the emissions equipment is different on the '02 vs. the '05. The canister mounting brackets are different on both ends as well as the vent/emissions hoses through that area. The drain valve is moved or eliminated as the mounts for both piping and the valve was eliminated. I was able to piece the whole system back together correctly though so I'm happy.

Here is the tank all wired up and ready to go in. The fuel filler neck is just laying off to the side and a mess of hoses and wiring that comprise part of the emissions system is piled on top. It took a little work to balance the tank on the jack by myself but once it was balanced out it was easy to move around with the jack.
    [​IMG]

Everything balanced so nicely i could leave it unattended to snap a pic as it is going in. Emissions lines were moved out of the way and I remembered not to pinch the wiring for the fuel pumps on top of the tank.
    [​IMG]

Almost in; I have the front straps attached now. In the upper right you can see where the solid brake lines pass through the car. They are cut off on top (out of view) and I'll be removing the 2 black lines and connecting the good lines soon.
    [​IMG]

A quick shot of the canister. There is a mess of hoses on top of the canister and behind it that you can't see. The '05 tank can be seen on the floor as well, anyone need a tank? :)
    [​IMG]

One last shot for the evening showing everything in place. Working with the tank is easily the dirtiest part of the project so far. Everything is caked with dirt/grease and you always spill just a bit of gas moving stuff around with lines unhooked.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the tip of picking up extra s gear oil at the dealer. I went down to Morries Brooklyn Park and they had plenty on hand. All I needed was to pick up a 20gallon drum.... :uhhuh: nice guys...

I also worked a bit on the subframe that's going in. I was able to remove one of the '02 struts but the other I've had to give the two bolts holding it on a PB blaster bath. Even with well over 3' of leverage those bolts are holding tight. I think I might need to hit my brother up for his impact gun to get them off.

The goal is to have the subframe in and all gas and brake lines hooked up by the end of the weekend. It would be nice to have the brakes bled as well but we'll see how much time there will be.

The wife's car is now leaking oil thanks to the quick oil change place she took it to on Monday. I'm hoping this doesn't interfere with the assembly process. The quick lube place killed the threads on the oil pan. :mad: It would have been nice for them to own up to it, instead of leaving it loose and dripping. Especially since she went on a trip with the kids yesterday. This is going to be fun to sort out. :rolleyes: I can only imagine they put the bolt back in with an impact gun... so much for torque settings or hand threading the plug a few turns.

19. atacamaR

suspension nearly complete

I made some more progress this weekend. Friday night the gas lines were hooked up again as well as the solid brake lines. Work resumed on the rear subframe which included removing both struts and grabbing a few misc. brackets from the other frame. After taking some measurements I was fairly confident that the rear subframe/crossmember is straight and unbent from the accident. I moved everything in place and called it quits for the night so I could start fresh on Saturday.

Saturday I jacked up the subframe carefully aligned things. A little patience and balancing skills were needed to operate the jack and get everything lined up in order to secure the cross member. Once everything was in place I proceeded to torque everything down. It was going smoothly until I came to the right trailing link when I realized it was bent. :mad: I halted everything and began removing the trailing links from both subframes. It took some creative thinking to get the trailing link out of the spare suspension, The whole unit just seemed to flop around and anyone watching me struggle with this no doubt was amused. When I flipped the entire subframe upside down, I lost all the fluid from the '05 rear diff. and it pooled in the crossmember and eventually the garage floor. :rolleyes: Gear oil has such a distinct smell to it. I eventually get the good trailing link off the '05 subframe and install it in the car without damaging the abs electrical connections. I again think I should really invest in a good impact gun, it would make things go a bit quicker and be a nice addition to the garage.

Sunday evening I finished swapping trailing links and torqued down the rest of the suspension pieces. Under the car I install a few exhaust shields and hook up the parking brakes. The car now has some basic brakes for the first time in many weeks. :cool: The rear stabilizer brackets are installed which allows the stabilizer bar to be completely mounted. I pull off the donuts and begin installing the struts. I get one installed before calling it for the weekend. I need to get the kids ready for daycare tomorrw and I'm tired, dirty, a bit sore, and I just need to relax a bit before crashing for the night. I didn't get quite as far as I wanted but considering I had to swap a trailing link I'm really happy with the progress that was made.

I didn't take many shots of the progress since it's the same as removal but here are a few.

The subframe is in. It helped to keep the donuts on so I could rest the subframe on them while making adjustments with the jack to get things to balance better. It still needed to be torqued down when I took this.
    [​IMG]

It was hard to see the bent trailing arm... hint: It's the one on the left in the first pic, and the one on the right in the second.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Rear sway bar is in and the '02 20mm bar is so much more stout than the '05. :) Seeing the exhaust hanger reminds me to check and make sure the remaining are installed.
    [​IMG]

The driver side strut tower is now in but still needs to be torqued down and the brake lines to need be attached in this picture. The blue in the paint really shows through in this picture. The sun was hitting the side of the car as it went down and my wife came out to the garage and commented. "I thought your car was black?"
    [​IMG]

Tonight, I'll finish installing the other strut, drop the car onto it's wheels and finish torquing the trailing links and stabilizer bar to final specs. If this goes quick enough I'll put it back up and finish with everything under the car (prop shaft, exhaust, and re-fill the transmission.) After that, it's time to attack the inside wiring and interior. I think I'll leave bleeding the brakes to the very end.

20. atacamaR

Suspension Complete, Wiring and Trim started

Monday and Tuesday evenings (June 21-22) turned out to be fairly productive. Monday I finished installing the other strut and installed the prop shaft and rear differential protection bracket. I began to install the exhaust but needed to locate a bracket before finishing so it is only partially installed. It is supported with the aide of a few jack stands and will remain that way until I run across the bracket. It's amazing how many boxes of crap you end up with when everything is apart.

Tuesday evening I started in on the wiring. I have everything wired up on the interior and have the harness pulled through to the trunk. I have a few connections in the trunk to make but I'll make those later. I can't install the license plate bracket/lights with the bumper cover on I believe so there was no rush in doing the trunk wiring. I installed the headliner, dome lights, grab handles, visors, and front seat belts as well. The trunk release and fuel door cables were routed and installed. I ended the night attacking some of the exterior trim. I installed the trim pieces that run around the windows from the a pillar to c pillar as well as the corresponding window rubber.

I didn't take any pictures of the latest progress except one shot showing the prop shaft in. I haven't decided if I am going to hold off on pictures until everything is together or take a few misc pictures at various stages of interior or exterior work. Since these will look like the tear down pics I'm tempted to just take final pictures.
    A picture showing the prop shaft installed.
    [​IMG]

I'm tied up until the weekend most likely but next I'll be putting back the carpet, front seats, and follow that with the rear shelf and interior trim that covers the a/b/c pillars. I need to stop holding off looking up part #'s for the license plate bracket and I will order those today. I'm still on track for completing this by the end of the month and I find I want to spend any free time in the garage making progress. I'm also thinking I'll miss the work when it's over since this whole project has been a lot of fun.

21. atacamaR

The Interior comes together and exhaust is in

As planned work on the car resumed friday. The wiring was completed and work on the interior began. The headliner was installed along with interior lights, visors, etc etc. I thought it was a good idea at that point to clime out the driver door and ram my head into an l bracket that holds the A pillar interior molding in. :censored: :rolleyes: After, much sailor cursing, stopping the bleeding and taking an aspirin I was back at it. The carpet was installed, rear stabilizing brace, center console, and molding around the doors was installed. On the exterior all molding/rubber was installed except for the molding that runs along roof rails. It is starting to look like a car again and I might actually pull this off. :) Later, head inspection that was conducted by the resident nurse concluded that I 'probably should have gotten a stitch or two for that.' This much is clear though, I won't ever hit my head on the A pillar again and I did get lots of work done.

Everything inside and out of the car needs a good cleaning, there is dust and fingerprints all over the place but with a project this large it is unavoidable. I'll wait until everything is done before giving everything a proper cleaning.

The Interior up front is in.
    [​IMG]

The Rear seats are now in.
    [​IMG]

The wheels are put back on again as I'm about to drop the car so I can torque down some more bolts on the suspension.
    [​IMG]

The side-skirts are not on yet if you haven't noticed.
    [​IMG]

The exhaust goes in very easily. The two bolts that join the exhaust to the catalytic converter are easy to put on if you use a vice grips to lock the two pieces of exhaust and use and adjustable locking pliers to compress the springs enough for the nut to catch on the bolt. I should have taken a picture of this as it worked really slick.
    [​IMG]

I've removed more parts from the spare suspension so I can move it around easier. I'll also be able to get the subaru out of the garage when it's ready. The suspension has been sitting behind the car and I know I should move it now because when the Subaru is ready I will not want to take much time to move it later...:D I also sold the '05 sway bar. It's new home will be that of a nice 2.5RS that a fellow member picked up a few weeks ago. Closer inspection of the nice Al front lateral links on the '05 subframe reveals one is bent. :mad: This damage was most likely sustained when car was removed from it's accident scene no doubt (The '05 was in a front end collision).
    [​IMG]

What is left?
    I need to fill the transmission, add side-skirts, bleed brakes, add plates, fire it up, correct any wiring or other mistakes, put in trim along roof rails, get an alignment, and follow things up with the inspection and provide MN DVS with paperwork so I can get the prior salvage title.

22. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Nice work! Looks like everything is buttoning up nicely.

You just know this is going to be the most time consuming part of the process! :mad: I have my fingers crossed for you!

23. atacamaR

ugh, i know. A few people that I know that have gone through it, have had no problems and say ..."it only takes a 15-20 minutes." I just know something or someone is going to throw a wrench in the works. I'll be posting more pictures and another progress update shortly :)

24. atacamaR

It moves.

I finally hooked up the battery (charged in advance) and go to turn the car over. After a second or two she starts right up (fuel getting up front again). Check engine light is flashing... :rolleyes: A quick call over to Zombie and he suspects I hooked up a connection for diagnostics. A quick unplug of the wiring I suspect as the culprit and success. The wrx runs a little high at about 1250rpm for few seconds and settles back down nicely.

Thanks Zombie (my little brother)

Now I don't have any brakes (minus parking brake) so I can't actually drive anywhere but I slowly back it out of the driveway and move it to the other side of the garage to give it more room for bleeding the brakes. I also needed to put the spare on as one of the tires started losing air in recent weeks. :rolleyes: I drop it off at discount tire and it'll be ready in an hour.

[​IMG]

Plans quickly get accelerated
    Trouble with the Volvo started late last week. I started getting bad vibration up front at low speed and around left hand curves. Curiously, it started overnight and initial diagnoses was no trouble found at dealer. I pick up the car and all is well for a few trips until it suddenly starts again. I look into it a bit and find a snapped bolt that holds in the axle. :mad: Thats a new one to me...

Bye bye for now... I'm now without a car to get to work or do daycare drops and pick ups. I don't really like the idea of renting a car for a week since the Volvo won't get into service until Thursday at the earliest. I don't have time to fart around with that problem myself either. I need a daily driver when when car is out of service-->part of the reason for the wrx.
    [​IMG]

So, I need to be up and running for work tomorrow...and I have a perfectly usable car (sorta). It is basically ready, so why not?. I had taken a sick day as I wasn't feeling well to begin with, and still don't, but I don't have time to be lying down. I decide to just suck it up and get working.

Brake Bleeding
    I work to get the roof rail molding in and promptly whack my finger with a rubber mallet causing the nail to split(don't ask) :censored: . After stopping this bleeding I finish with the side-skirts,put on my plates, and do a basic road check. I jack up the car and pop off all the wheels to setup for the brake bleed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've never done a bleed before but I have a handle on the basic procedure. I have a kit for bleeding the Brembo's on the Volvo but the adapter doesn't fit the reservoir of the Subaru. Hmmmm, what to do??? I'd rather not wait until tonight for help to arrive as I need to get that tire from Discount tire yet. I take a break and figure out a way I can bleed this by myself or it's rental car time for me.

I realized the only thing I need help with is holding down the pedal. I hit the shed and grab a friendly 2x4 that's about the right length. I do a test fit with the board wedged between the pushed in pedal and the front seat bolt. Perfect. This will do nicely. I grab some clear 1/4" tubing I have in the garage, a cup, and a 8mm wrench. The service manual specifies that you bleed front right, left rear, left front, followed lastly by right rear. So I jump in and pump the brakes 2-3 times slowly and put Mr. Board in place to hold the pedal down. I open the bleeder screw and snap it shut. The great thing about this is the board listens to me and doesn't argue. I didn't have him once let go of the brake when I wasn't ready...I watch the level carefully in the reservoir to avoid running out of fluid-my helper refuses to :rolleyes: . Then rinse, repeat. After purging all the air and clean fluid comes out I put the wheels back on and test my results.

Initial tests backing down the driveway reveal firm pedal and braking power. So I figure why not take it up to 60 and test them... nah, I take the car for a short drive down the street and return home. success! :p I close things up and drive down to Discount Tire to pick up my tire.

Discount Tire Experience
    I show up to pick up the tire and have nothing short of a pleasant experience. My tire is ready and they send me on my way. I ask what I owe for the patch and the nice guy there goes "don't worry about it." I asked if he was sure and he said "Yep, it was leaking from the seam so we just took the tire off and cleaned everything up." I thank him and give him a small amount of cash to grab a few cold drinks. I've had excellent service with that Coon Rapids location.

So, she's basically done. I have very minor things to do now. Today, I'm taking it to Morrie's BP to get an alignment. It drives straight and doesn't pull but needs an alignment in with all thats been done. The interior is quiet as well which is nice-no whistling or loud wind noise. I also need to find the ash tray :rolleyes:. I need to remember to pickup the license plate bracket from the parts dept. so I can add the license plate lights. I want those working for the state inspection.

25. atacamaR

Finished. (for now... :D )

Here are pics of the final progress and result. I think things turned out great. I'll get around to a detail on the car later. Minus anything drastic happening with the alignment or inspection I've successfully saved a bugeye from scrap, very satisfying.

I like a little rake on a car and this one squats more in the back. I don't like it, not one bit-heh. I thought I read someplace there is something you can get to fix this. Maybe, I'll just invest in new strut assemblies down the road for better handling and just not worry about it for now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I want to do something with badging on the back. It's alright clean but I think I need at-least something to off set the trunk lock on the other side. I'm thinking either the small subaru badging in the lower left opposite the lock or just the standard impreza wrx badge.
    [​IMG]

Reflections off the trunk/car do interesting things to some of these pictures. (just an old standard point and shoot camera)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bonus points if you know what is missing in the next three pics. (Besides the rubber that lines the fender arches)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I should have made sure the camera was straight... :confused: Cosmetically up front there is a wrinkle in the hood and a small tear in the bumper. You can see it pretty easy in person but it's not all that noticeable. It certainly isn't worth replacing the hood and bumper at this point. If I run across one cheap I can repair it down the road.
    [​IMG]

I'll end with a crappy shot into the sun for maximum glare...
    [​IMG]

On the way to work this morning I realize the clock doesn't work. Scotty, did that work before? I'm assuming it didn't since I didn't touch that area. My power mirrors don't work so I need to double check that I plugged in that harness.:( or possible blown fuse. Otherwise, I'm totally enjoying the car.

I'll be selling some '05 wrx parts and will be listing them soonish in the classifieds. If you need anything off the rear subframe (crossmember, (lateral links are all shot except front left) rear diff., strut assemblies,misc hardware,etc etc. be sure to let me know.

I'll have updates periodically but mainly from this point on the thread won't get updated a lot, except when responding to others, or if there is an interesting handling upgrade/new wheels to post. None of which are in any immediate or short term plans.

To recap/summarize this thread
    This
    [​IMG]

is much better than this.
    [​IMG]

thanks everyone,
    Ryan

26. predavore

predavore Well-Known Member

Just put one of these on the back and call it good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.badgeofownership.com/

27. Zombie

Zombie Well-Known Member

The clock is a common problem. Bring it over and I'll fix it. Nice work!

28. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

Great work Ryan...I saw the car first hand, no photoshop;)

29. Ninja 4 Life

Ninja 4 Life Well-Known Member

Wow man, looks great!!! :biggthumpup: Glad to see she is up and running again. Hope any minor issues just stay minor!

30. Deride

Deride Well-Known Member

Looks nice, great to have another subie back on the road. As for what is missing, the little rubber wheel well things in the back wheel wells. I took those off my car too because they just hold rocks/salt and cause rust.

31. Aegis

Aegis TAKE IT!

Very nice. You will never get non-glare pictures with that paint in the daytime ... just FYI. That color doesn't photograph well in any light ...

32. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Clock has the standard problem like your brother said, I never got around to fixing it. Mirrors worked before though.

As for what is missing, I bet its the little strip of rubber that goes on top of the side skirt...

33. atacamaR

if it were a shot of the other side of the car you would be right. excellent excellent guess. since i'm waiting for my alignment and neat to hit parts anyway, i wonder if i can order just that piece....

what i was getting at is the cover for rear seat belt on right side... can see it through window. (found it this morning, installed now.) heh.

apparently the techs here are enjoying looking at the repair that was completed... according to the service writer anyway. it just went on the lift a few minutes ago. i should show them the thread of when the car was cut in two...

i'm just waiting for the tech to come in and say "ummmm we have a problem..." or "what in the hell did you do here???" or simply just give me the wtf look.

34. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

I don't think you have the ash tray so don't waste time looking for it :)

35. atacamaR

I thought it was there because something was jammed behind it. Maybe it was just wedged under the center console...i just don't remember. I found a money clip, pens, etc jammed in that area. I should probably return the money clip and the $10 that was still in it. :)

36. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Ha, its not mine, must have been my old mans. I used to put my wallet in the space that was the ash tray on long drives. If I find it in my garage I will pass it along.

37. atacamaR

believe it or not my badge or ownership badges came, high mileage, mechanical, performance :oops: , one other. not the greatest quality but for free i have no complaints. maybe i'll put it on while i decide what to do....

38. Zombie

Zombie Well-Known Member

I have an ashtray you can have. I put a gauge in the same location and don't need it.

39. atacamaR

not too concerned but if you don't need it i'll take it.

40. Ctracey218

Ctracey218 Playpen Wrangler Staff Member

From one owner to the next, there is much truth here.

41. atacamaR

Alignment was done at Morries BP today, the tech who helped me was very nice and thorough.-thanks!

Who would have guessed that with all the work that was done both by Bruce welding the rear back on and myself removing and swapping subframes, trailing arms, etc that.....

The rear was NOT out of alignment when the baseline was run. Funny enough, the front had a few settings that were out of alignment (The front was not touched during the repair). Everything was re-aligned though to bring it as close to specification as possible. I have a print out and I'll try and scan that soon. (still need to do this) I was a little worried something unadjustable would be out. I never expected it to be within tolerances from the start. :) The car handles great and I think I can safely say the car is straight.

I also plugged in the wiring for the mirrors last night... oops.

42. atacamaR

I threw a code this morning, the check engine light came on after 95 miles of driving. The car was going ~65mph this morning and it flipped on, no change or anything out of the ordinary from what I could tell. Something with emissions perhaps. I will be grabbing a code reader at lunch today.

Tonight, I'll be replacing the right rear abs sensor to get abs working again. It's not detecting the wheel is turning. It's on the side that was hit in the accident so I should just grab the spare off the other suspension. Anyone know for sure if the '05 abs sensor is the same as the '02?

43. atacamaR

let the games begin: p0457...

I'll start with evap cannister since that has a crack & small puncture hole-will patch that, check gas cap as well (i know i didn't cross thread it and listened to it click 3 times. I switched to an '05 cap when the other filler neck went on-->I'll double check caps to see if they are the same (filler necks are). Then probably move on to fuel lines and fuel pump seals. (no gas smell)

44. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

Just read the whole thread, fantastic!

45. thealtaholic

thealtaholic Well-Known Member