Screw in tow hook. Good idea or no?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by JasonoJordan, Jun 18, 2010.

1. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

I know on our cars you can get a screw in tow hook that will screw right into the front bumper if u take the little plastic cover out. is this a good way 2 hook onto the car when u cant get down to the bottom tow hooks or will it strip the threads right out??

2. predavore

predavore Well-Known Member

I would hope a tow hook would bear that amount of weight without stripping out. Otherwise, what's the point? I probably wouldn't lift the front end of the car with it, but a tow strap shouldn't do damage.

3. JasonoJordan

ok thanks, reason i ask is because the last couple times ive had 2 be pulled out the front hooks were burried in snow and a pain in the ass 2 get 2 and once i got their they are hard 2 get anything on other then small hooked chains.

4. xveganxcowboyx

xveganxcowboyx Well-Known Member

I have used them more than once on my BMWs. The factory tool kits come with a hook. I had a 3,600lb 5 series pulled up out of a ditch in heavy snow with one with absolutely no problem. That's what they are built for. Just keep the movement more lateral than vertical and you should be good to go.

5. MMC_555

MMC_555 Well-Known Member

Yeah, should work out just fine.
    BTW have a brand new factory packaged OEM screw in tow hook... let me know if interested.
    (hope this is not a hijack!)

6. wrexinator03

wrexinator03 Banana Cream

It will work just fine, its all we use at the ice races to really tug people out, there will be no problem

7. JasonoJordan

ok thanks for all your imput.

8. carl

carl Well-Known Member

my car was pulled out of here by the front screw in tow hook

[​IMG]

9. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Just weld it onto the front like a hood ornament...nice and easy to get to. Also works as a gun sight.