Se7enrex Full Build Thread "LOLCar" reincarnation

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by Se7enrex, Jul 20, 2014.

1. EricS

EricS Nooberator

Nice! will you be doing flares or something?

2. Se7enrex

Se7enrex Well-Known Member

Yeah I have some fiberglass flares that I was super pumped about at first but now I'm re-thinking. I really don't want to cut the fenders, I'd rather pull the hell out of them but then I run the risk of buckling the fenders/rear quarter which would suck.

I have about 1 3/4" to about 2" on rear and a bit more up front for tire past fender. image.jpg
    The picture is a bad angle but the numbers are there, it's no small feat. I would probably need 2 1/4" pull on top portion to be safe, but that will be way too much for the fender to handle I think....

3. Se7enrex

Well its decided, I am going to start with the DOM 3.0XTR 10cm^2 turbo to begin the process. Just bought it from Oak Leaf Auto... THANKS GUYS!!! It was the one I was considering for the longest time and I decided to finally just pull the trigger when they listed it!! It will be a good place to start I think.

Nhibbs and EricS like this.
  4. regularguySTi

regularguySTi New Member

This is a crazy thread! Just read the whole thing and I'm blown away. I just wish someday I had the time/money/knowledge to pull something like this off.

5. Se7enrex

Ha well thanks, I'm just learning as I go. Anyone can do it with time/$ , just gotta dive in and figure it out along the way. Appreciate the kind words

6. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

I vote fender flares and not stretching the crap out of those fenders :thumbup:

Looking good though, glad to see progress!

7. Se7enrex

My mind is in constant loop - TMIC or FMIC, TMIC or FMIC WHAT TO DO?!?!?

Also, how crappy is the E85 in winter? Like not driveable need a different tune bad, or just slightly worse? I need to make an injector decision as well. I like the idea of the 1200cc Sidefeeds but I am a little suspect of them -alternatively I could do a Topfeed conversion and run something like 2000's - Again turbo is DOM 3 XTR and the motor will have forged bottom end.

Thanks Y'all!

8. EricS

EricS Nooberator

I'd recommend ID injectors.

TMF likes this.
  9. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

+1 for ID's. Switching to top feeds should give you more injector options too...

As far as injector size, I'd say "consult your tuner" aka I'm not sure lol.

For the intercooler...are you planning on more road course, autox, drag, street car, or something else?

10. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

He's one of those Hoonigans!

bobby likes this.
  11. EricS

EricS Nooberator

V-mount.

tangledupinblu and DoughtCom like this.
  12. DoughtCom

DoughtCom Well-Known Member

Looking good sonnnn. Firstly this doesn't look like a Winter car, are you planning on ice racing it? As far as E85 (on a 4G63 anyway) is totally fine. Startup is just a little sketchy with a need to let it warm up for a bit before you drive it.

13. Se7enrex

Thanks for the input - it was either DW, ID's, or FiveO (due to their sidefeed options)

Car will mostly be street driven, HPDE, trailored around to places like Pikes peak. (not actually running in comp, yet, I don't think) It will be essentially a weekend spirited driving car. Which makes me think TMIC however most people are using Meth at that point and for whatever reason I just don't want to do that. I like the cleanliness of TMIC but FMIC seems more purposeful.
    Yup! Exactly!!
    I did give this serious thought, but for Stage 1 of the vehicle I am not going to sink that much money into that set up quite yet. Totally BA for sure though.
    That's a great point - it is not a winter car. I MAY on occasion take it for a spin on a dry winter day and didn't want to have to worry about fuel issues.

I am looking for a super consistent, start it drive experience.

14. EricS

EricS Nooberator

How about running E85 in the summer and switching over to regular gas (and ROM obviously) when winter comes, that way you also won't have the increased corrosivity of E85 sitting around in your fuel system all winter...

I'd probably consider a FMIC if I was in your shoes, if only because for a car that will be wrenched on regularly, it gets kinda old pulling the TMIC off as Step 1 every time you need/want to touch the engine :D

Natural2JZ and TMF like this.
  15. Se7enrex

AHA! Bingo - good point - you make an excellent argument with the wrenching!!

16. blueroo

blueroo Member

But the look of that TMIC tho!

17. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Convert to top feeds. ID is definitely the way to go, they have new ones that are better for E85.
    The Dom 3.0 is similar to a GT3076 so you will need more than 1000cc with E85. 1200 would probably work but ID2000 would give you good headroom and you can go bigger turbo in the future.
    You could get by with a big TMIC but front mount is better for that power level.

18. EricS

EricS Nooberator

ID is also working on a set of injectors between the 1200 and 2000s, in the 1700 range but with better idle-ability etc. Depending on how soon you need injectors, you could call them and see about getting a preproduction set :)

19. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

FYI, I called ID a while back and asked about the new 1300cc all stainless internals injectors that are the safe for E85 that you speak of. They said you really don't need them unless you're letting the car sit with E85 for long periods of time ...roughly 1-2 weeks or longer. Personally, I store my car with 93 and I also normally run a tank of 93 every couple months, so they really weren't necessary for me. YMMV.

20. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Highly agree with everything said here.

One of the only advantages of a tmic is the better throttle response....add in a large turbo and a lot of heat soak into the equation, and I would bet the responsiveness difference between tmic and fmic will be nominal.

I think the "best" setup would be a reverse intake manifold and fmic, but I'm not sure if that is in the cards for you. Could def be an opportunity for the future.

21. EricS

EricS Nooberator

22. Se7enrex

Ohh hot dam- that's what I am looking for- or I'll end up going with 2000's . I did already buy fmic setup yesterday, so we have settled that now!!!

23. Se7enrex

GAHHHH I am getting sick of the cost of everything holy cripes this is getting expensive - I decided I am going to baby out and start on good old normal gas for a while until she is all buttoned up, then go big - maybe enjoy it this coming summer so I don't have to wait longer---- So parts......

photo 1.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    photo 5.JPG

Natural2JZ, 4drcivicmaster and Nhibbs like this.
  24. Se7enrex

You guys I am stuck, I need some help here. I have my 05 STI wiring harness and I need some advice. Should I send in both my harness' to Iwire and have them charge me $1200 plus shipping THERE or does someone want to make $500 and help me here?

I have the full 05 STI harness, immobilizer, ECU, and Key and need some advice. In my mind, because my engine will be an 05, my fuel tank, my gauges are all 05 STI - the only thing NOT 05 STI are my door locks, headlights, steering column (windshield wipers/blinkers), doors, and tail lights. I feel like It shouldn't be too hard to pin the lights and doors and heater box.... Thoughts?

Anyone want to make $500 and beer to help? Seriously!

I also have some info here:
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=22826179#post22826179

25. Ctracey218

Ctracey218 Playpen Wrangler Staff Member

I know @Chux has experience with wiring..

26. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

It would be fairly easy to do. I'm not sure how different the GC and STi multi-function switches are, so that might be a pain, but it's all doable. Also, I'd have to do some research on the immobilizer. I know the later ones are looking for a signal from the original key.

But yea, I could do it. And that's about what I've charged in the past. I have a lot less free time these days, though. What's your time frame?

27. Se7enrex

Anytime is my frame - I mean ideally sometime before the end of next month at some point. I have the original key and ignition switch with the immobilizer so I should have everything I need - let me know - I would love to pay a local and help out!
    I could even meet you half way or in Duluth if you wanted to just take it and do it at your house or something - or if you had a reason to come to the cities - anything is possible

28. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

The biggest reason I don't do almost any wiring jobs any more, is I don't have a place to do them. My fiance is extremely supportive (actually, she's kind of an enabler) of my habits, but no wiring harnesses taking up the entire living room for weeks on end.....

That said, I grew up in the cities, I have a lot of family and friends down there, so I'm down fairly regularly. I've got a project car at my parents' house out on the west side that I need to spend some time on.

That's a fairly tight schedule. I've got a couple personal things going on right now, but I should have a better idea in the next couple days.

29. Se7enrex

We'll keep it in mind- even if it's an extra month on top I'm cool with that- call it end of April - let me know- if love to pay you and keep it local- hopefully an extra month helps!

30. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

31. J.Rex

J.Rex Well-Known Member

If Chux doesn't have time to do the wiring, I can do it, I have some piece of paper saying something about electricity or what not, and I've rewired a couple race cars.

Nhibbs and EricS like this.
  32. Se7enrex

Wow - 2 guys step forward with the possibility of achieving this, very much appreciated guys! I know Chux was a bit concerned about timing, but @Chux if you want to help I am all for it. If not I would be happy to have @J.Rex help out. Happy to pay either of you, or both :)

Thanks you guys

33. J.Rex

J.Rex Well-Known Member

I'm free to start working on this whenever you're ready, if you want to pm me the details of what exactly you want or if you want to meet up some time to discuss it, let me know.

34. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Do it up Jesse. You've got my number if you need anything. Sounds like I'll be in town 2/28-3/1, I need to get some work done on my own project at my parents', but I could probably help if you need.

35. Se7enrex

Hey Jesse I texted you back- @J.Rex

When you have time, no rush, we can start thinking this through. Thank you all again!

36. Se7enrex

Jesse has harness in hand- and my motor is officially in my basement so I can work on it without building condensation

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Started on lines too,
    image.jpg

EricS likes this.
  37. J.Rex

J.Rex Well-Known Member

Fun stuff

IMG_20150221_234237280.jpg

EricS likes this.
  38. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Ryan FailRad likes this.
  39. EricS

EricS Nooberator

Good stuff man! What about using 90deg fittings at the handbrake cylinder, that would keep the lines a lot lower and out of harm's way?

40. Se7enrex

Its hard to tell from the pics but the lines are actually fairly centered over trans tunnel and not too much in the way of anything, plus I thought it was fun to try and bend them correctly. I will be running a braided line from the prop valve up to the firewall bulkhead fitting... so some flexibility there!

41. Sjogun

Sjogun Active Member

Ahhhh, wiring...I remember those days...good luck. LMK if you need any U.S. spec diagrams!

42. Se7enrex

[​IMG]

New helper - Dog Tax

43. Se7enrex

So I have to make this hvac system work and I need to know the "in" and "out" of the coolant system for the heater core and engine. Anyone know...?
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Ryan FailRad likes this.
  44. Se7enrex

Anyone have an idea? @DoughtCom you know this strange stuff! Any thoughts?

45. Ryan FailRad

Ryan FailRad Well-Known Member

Would it be the same in any car?