Selling question

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by jtc411, Jan 31, 2013.

1. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

Ah, one of those "cars are not to supposed to be fun" spouses. My condolences.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  2. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

I think my Wife changed her tune after my upgrades. I hit an oh ramp and did a 4th gear pull and she said, "Holy Balls!!!!!!!"

Side note: She still says she hates the car, but does think it is fun. I think it's growing on her.

3. JACKRBT

JACKRBT Well-Known Member

My wife was in full "roll eyes" mode when I got mine. BUT she loves driving it! She even noticed and liked the improvements after I installed a new shifter and bushings. Think I'll keep her. The wife, I mean. Car too...like the car very much.

BroCo likes this.
  4. jtc411

jtc411 Member

If I even step on it I get a dirty look and a scolding. When we got that huge snow storm back I think in December? We packed up and had some running to do and I took a corner and mashed it knowing damn well the thing was going to grip and go...I get yelled at for the next 5 minutes of our trip...ah well back to less fun and more practical. I guess this is part of growing up right?

5. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

Wrong! Lol

Mr.Tran likes this.
  6. SurlyOldManMN

lol, you're screwed. Either get her to understand it's something that makes you happy and it doesn't need to make sense to her (as I'm 100% certain she has something that makes her happy but doesn't make sense to you), or don't bother trying to buy anything worth driving.

Not everything gets to be by the numbers if either one of you plans on living your life together without epic levels of long term resentment.

ofspunk7 likes this.
  7. jtc411

jtc411 Member

Oh I'm sure my car to her is her sister to me. I'd get rid of the WRX right away if I could send her sister on a one way ticket with it lol. Joking...kinda

ofspunk7, BroCo and tangledupinblu like this.
  8. SurlyOldManMN

I'm not. Without digging too deep into your affairs, it sounds like she is incapable of understanding why there is more to driving for you than a way to solve the requirement of moving from point A to point B. That alone isn't a problem. The fact that she thinks you're a degenerate because you feel otherwise... that's going to be a long term problem if it shows up in other areas.

My wife is passionate about a few things I seriously, seriously do not "get". I'll never get it. It's never going to make sense. Waste of time and resources if you ask me... BUT... she's passionate about them and it makes her happy. I like to see her happy. I don't need to understand, I just need to know how it makes her feel. She reciprocates by overlooking things like "WTF do you need a 300hp AWD turbo car for?".

Forcefully try to cut your better half off from enough of those things and they may not be around for you to pester about it after a while. Works both ways. If you haven't had that conversation yet, now would be a good time.

9. jtc411

jtc411 Member

I completely agree with you. In all honesty she does support what makes me happy. I wasn't ready to buy a car yet and she tried to buy me the WRX for my birthday. When she couldn't pull it together she just brought me there and made me buy one. She is happy for me when I'm happy, but we are young and have a newborn and are in "building" mode and I think she's a little more sensitive to things that cost us this much a month(between lease payment and insurance we're talking about 500 a month) and I think in her mind this money could be spent on something at this stage in life more useful and family efficient. I honestly do not blame her one bit. We have pretty good "give and take" in our marriage and I respect her enough to not own something that she finds not suitable for our lifestyle. I do give more in our marriage, but its hard to deny the mother of your child what she wants. She's not saying I can't have something more than a putter, but she just wants something a bit more fuel efficient, quieter and roomier. It will all work out in the end. You guys are all great and I'll be sticking around even if I'm not a subi owner

10. SurlyOldManMN

Focus ST...

JasonoJordan likes this.
  11. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Sounds like a 2.5 Forester XT to me!;)

Most women don't like golf...i still golf tho. HA! I am extremely lucky/blessed, the lady likes when i smash my foot down on the gas, rides with me during rallyx in the RSVX, and appreciates how much i love both of my Subarus. In turn, i do her stuff with her and enjoy it whether i enjoy it or not. Figure that it's only fair!

Maybe you should save the pedal mashin' for when her and the kids aren't with you?

SkeetsWisconny likes this.
  12. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

Are you sure this just isn't buyers remorse? I certainly am not trying to argue as I have 2 kids and have been married 7 years this summer. However you threw me off when you said she wanted to buy it for you to make you happy, then you buy it for yourself and now she doesn't like it and is "embarrassed" by it. Then you talk about the cost, but the first car you are considering cost almost $9000 more. I am in the same boat as Surly, my wife enjoys things that I would rather not spend our money but it makes her happy, and she knows that and does the same. I hope this doesn't come off as an attack, I'm just unclear as to goal here other than selling a car you might want to keep.

13. jtc411

jtc411 Member

There is only buyers remorse on the end that she doesn't like it. When she wanted to buy it for me she knew little to nothing about it other than it had 4 doors and was quick. As far as the golf r that's more a pipe dream than anything as the gti is much more likely. I was just saying if I could get a similar lease payment. The part that's cutting cost is insurance and gas. I don't think she knew what she was condoning originally and knowing how much she dislikes the car puts a huge damper on it for me

14. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Wait, did you say lease?

Yeah you're really going to lose your ass on this one. How much is the early termination fee? Have you even begun to pay down the principle? Your best bet is a lease transfer (either through an individual or a transfer agency). Forget the previous advice of trading it back to the dealership. If its a 3 year term, finish it out and then move on. For one, I doubt either replacement car you are looking at will be much of a savings over what you're paying now. You might be able to lessen the financial burden by changing up your insurance policy.

Mr.Tran likes this.
  15. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

:eek: Ginger Snap...I missed that. Yeah I agree, you are going to be in a tough spot with a lease.

16. jtc411

jtc411 Member

Leases have a "purchase amount" option. You can at any point during a lease buy the vehicle or trade it in. The fee is the same as the turn in fee. The 25,900 is the buyout option I have right now