Shops that can roll fenders.

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Patrick Paguyo, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Patrick Paguyo

Patrick Paguyo New Member

Noob here and need help. I've been calling and asking around body shops if they can roll fenders. 10 out of 10 said they don't. I have no experience rolling fenders and i don't want to messed it up.

Anybody knows a shop or recommendations who can do it? I appreciate any info given and thanks.

2. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

Easy.

3. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

Ask around locally to see if anyone has a fender roller you can use/rent for an hour or so. It's not too difficult and there are plenty of how-to's on YouTube. Go slow and use a heat gun to avoid chipping the paint.

Patrick Paguyo and pleiades like this.
  4. housemusic1

housemusic1 Well-Known Member

Somehow I knew that Miata video would get posted. I did the old baseball bat trick on my fronts, but only had to cut, and hammer flat the rears. I agree, patience, and a heat gun is your best friend. Watch plenty of videos, and don't get too aggressive. Alternatively, just go with the crazy negative camber, and you'll have minimal rubbing bruh! JeePpNl.jpg

5. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

I heard rumors that Jeff the Alignment Guy has a roller for rent.

6. Patrick Paguyo

Thanks for the input guys. Do you guys think a 18*9.5 +40 with 265/35/18 tires only need a mild roll? I am not gonna do crazy low. Probably a 1-1.5 inch drop.

7. Patrick Paguyo

I am thinking going there for my alignment. I already asked around and 1 of my cousin's friend has one. Thanks though!

8. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I've usually found that body shops are in business to fix cars, not ruin them.

9. Patrick Paguyo

I was thinking that also but they should do some custom work. Pretty much if I messed up, body shops will take my money.

10. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

If you weren't on the opposite side of the cities I'd say you could borrow mine. I got the Eastwood one when it was on sale last summer.

Anywho, if you do get your own and want to try it yourself I strongly recommend the heat gun. I didn't have one and was in a time crunch before Powercruise. My car's got rusted quarters so my care factor was pretty minimal, just wanted prevent some unwanted tire rubbing/cutting. Definitely broke the paint in a few spots. Good learning experience, tho.

11. Patrick Paguyo

Thanks for the advice and offer. I will let you know if still need a roller. My cousin said that his friend have both roller and heat gun.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  12. housemusic1

Before you go to Jeff for an alignment, be sure to read the thread all about the "rules" for going to his shop. You'll thank me later.

Patrick Paguyo likes this.
  13. Patrick Paguyo

Screenshot_20180331-082417_Chrome.jpg

EricS and minnesotanice like this.
  14. housemusic1

Yep, that thread. Every word of that post is true.

Patrick Paguyo likes this.
  15. Krazylegz1485

It's kinda sad that all of that isn't just common sense to people.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  16. pleiades

pleiades Well-Known Member

To be honest, I struggle with the rule about not just walking back behind the counter sometimes. When I go to a shop for an insurance inspection sometimes I park out back and use the employee entrance. Once in a while there'll be nobody up front so I have to wander into the shop to find them. Nobody has ever seemed to mind at all under those circumstances, but it takes a conscious effort to not do it when I'm there as a customer.

17. housemusic1

While my car was in the air, he was rambling about some sort of an issue with my passenger rear valve stem, I couldn't hear him, because his Van Halen CD was so damn loud that I walked over to see what he was talking about. After all, it is my vehicle, and if there's an issue, I'd kinda like to see it. Needless to say, the situation ended with him launching his 1/2" air impact wrench across the shop, because "why the hell do I have a fukin shop, if nobody follows the rules?". Fast forward about 20 minutes (after apologizing profusely for breaking the rules), we started some small talk about our individual weekend plans. I asked him what he had going on, and he says "hopefully laying in my bathtub, and slitting my wrists". Once he decided that he couldn't get my alignment dialed in exactly to spec, and that "he didn't want to do this **** for a living anymore", he said, drive it like it is, and if the steering wheel isn't straight, bring it back. I tossed him like $65, and left there just praying that my alignment was at least acceptable, because I couldn't fathom the response I would get if I actually brought it back to him to correct it. Great at what he does, came highly recommend, with years of experience, but to say that he's "just a bit brash" or a "bit of a curmudgeon", might be the understatement of the year. The sad thing is, I recently bought a used Outback that's in need of an alignment, and I'm not sure I want to see what other types of air tools he's capable of launching across the shop this time!

18. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Lmao, i’ll stick to Firestone.

19. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Samaritan in Minnetonka has always been my place for alignments. Worth the drive.

pillboy likes this.
  20. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I've never been disappointed with my visits to Samaritan.

21. Krazylegz1485

That's kinda sad, too. Should've brought him back a box of Midol and a pad or two.

MrBlue and tangledupinblu like this.
  22. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I mean, we’ve all had those days when we chuck tools across the room. But we don’t all need “warning threads”, hahaha!

Krazylegz1485 and Patrick Paguyo like this.
  23. housemusic1

I've been told by multiple people to check out Samaritan. I will be bringing the new (to me) Outback there.