Should I supercharge it?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by qstarin, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Snowbum

Snowbum Well-Known Member

^ That looks very similiar to what I did aswell, and it will work just fine. However, $200-400 for peace of mind is worth it to me.

2. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

yes. but not with that kit.

if you're going to boost your car, get a standalone, period (unless you're doing an entire swap, where the stock ECU is fairly tunable...).

I don't know too many details about THAT supercharger kit. but depending what kind of blower they use, upping the boost could be as simple as a pulley swap.

I'm not a turbo guy, at all. so I'm a bit biased, but I think a good supercharger setup can be done for similar cost to a turbo, and much simpler installation (no messing with exhaust/crossmember/coolant lines/oil lines).

sub-$1k supercharged '00 RS

3. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

There are self-oiled/ cooled superchargers? I thought you would at least need an oil feed and return....

4. Bielke55

Bielke55 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

That looks like a giant headache..

5. qstarin

qstarin Well-Known Member

The kit SC is self-contained. No oil lines needed.

In what way exactly? Not trying to be an ass, actually interested in your thoughts.

The "kit" includes all necessary bracketing and mounting hardware.

It's billed as "bolt-on". (please don't flame me for even saying that, lol)

Yes - boost change=pulley change. I'm not sure off-hand what the compressor is good to - something like 10 or 15 psi. They won't condone that sort of usage on NA 2.5's, though, and I can't blame them.

They are developing it specifically for MAP-based 2.5's, but I don't recall seeing anything about replacing the sensor with something that can read boost, so I don't know how they are handling that.

So are we pretty much all of the opinion that their EM couldn't possibly be safe & reliable?

That seems to be the consensus, and I have no reason to doubt it, but they are going on a good deal about how intent they are on producing a safe for the motor FI option ready to go EM-wise.

I don't have the knowledge to believe/disbelieve them. But as soon as I disbelieve them, this kit no longer is any kind of considered option for me at all.

6. Snowbum

On second thought.....I think a supercharged subaru would be saweet!

Insta-boost :yumyum:

...You should do it....

7. qstarin

haha .. lol.. Flip-floper.

8. scoobypwnz201

scoobypwnz201 Well-Known Member

it all depends on how much power he wants to make....

9. Snowbum

well, what is a comparable turbo to that supercharger in regards to cfm??

10. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

ok.. os spend money on a SC that leeches power to make power or spend a little extra and do a PROVEN and POTENT wrx/sti swap that is more then you will ever need in that car with many more people on htis board locally that have undertaken similar swaps that could help...

11. qstarin

I don't think I need, or even want, tons of power. I really like how 230-240-ish hp felt in a WRX, and I know mine's lighter. I think I'd be pretty well pleased at that point.

For me, there is a point where a car is too fast for daily use. I may teach myself otherwise, though. ;)

12. TSTRBOY2004

well its all about self control.. you can kill yourself with the power of a honda civic or a 600 whp sti... its a matter of if you are gonna be a ******* which from meeting you doesnt seem to be the case.. or is it... hah a

seriously.. a wrx/sti swap I think you would NOT regret

13. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

^ I felt the same way when I bought my car, it was quick and fun. Next came the "stage 2" that was even more quick and fun, then I needed more boost so a new map and GMBCS was given to the car to add more life. Scared that I was pushing my injectors too much I bought bigger ones, a fuel pump, inlet, and aftermarket bpv. Put down 216/260 ... still unhappy ...

14. scoobypwnz201

i will be satisfied with a custom build 600 whp GC :p

15. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

600whp Subaru $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    600whp Camaro $$$$$
    600whp Mustang $$$$$

My point exactly

16. qstarin

Haha - yeah.

So much workz, but then there is the enticement of that, "Holy **** I did it" feeling.

Swap is tough to commit to, and is going to rely a whole lot on finding the right deal at the right time.

Of course, that's the only reason I'm rocking the MT these days, too - right deal at the right time.

17. scoobypwnz201

i would be fine with the expenses as it is not my DD :)

18. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

^600WHP "new" GTO (sick might I add) $$$$

Oh and the idiot that drives a 600hp built car needs to be slapped.

19. scoobypwnz201

im not interested in american cars lmao therefore the expenses are worth it imo

20. qstarin

fixed. ;)

200whp Subaru = a great start and would probably hold me for a good while.
    250whp Subaru = me no need no moah powez (I think :ugh: I'm going to eat those words by the end of 09, I foresee)

21. scoobypwnz201

lol once again..the GC id be building is just a shell..its not my DD id allocate another car (my wagon for instance?) the downtime is included in that...i dont plan on finishing this car for 5 years...once i get it started...

22. Snowbum

The SC has appeal to me because it is unique and it gets you off the line quicker then a turbo set-up. Plus....they sound crazy.

23. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

Then why ruin a perfectly good car (your car) and not just buy a used WRX?

24. Snowbum

5years and 40grand later..... ;)

25. TSTRBOY2004

why.... I would if I had the money.. no point building it if its gonna be a trailer or garage queen...

26. Snowbum

^Agreed x10000

27. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

On a V8 ...

Friday/Saturday night and track car.

28. TSTRBOY2004

thats what the 1000HP 20B turbod Triple Rotor Rx7 would be for.. but I would also drive that to the track too...

sorry but I am a huge believer in drive it there drive it home... if not.... whats the use

29. Snowbum

Whoa....lets keep her on topic here. This isnt what the internet was intended for ;)

30. Snowbum

^Meh, I dont like that description...nothing economical about AWD.

31. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

It has nothing to do with mileage. It's referring to the price category the car is in.

32. TSTRBOY2004

meh... I say hey DO IT... its your money and time ah ha ha

33. Snowbum

Gotcha

34. twiztid_rs

twiztid_rs Well-Known Member

in all honesty you can get by doing a motor swap for not a whole lot more then it would cost for the supercharger kit and as bielke said the most likely added costs...

i've thought long and hard and switched back and forth on wether to custom supercharge, n/a build, or turbo my rs... and after many many months of weighing pros and cons i decided against the supercharge route... the idea is awsome and the fact that you'd be one of only a handfull in the us with it, doesn't cover the pottential list of problems that can come with it....

plus i've looked many times at raptors site to check for updates... and that kit was built, tested, and perfected, so to speak, on an 05 rs i believe, not the older models.

as AWD said your only going to be looking at 150-170 whp... which i looked into the possablilities and you can get those numbers with a decent n/a build, plus have the reliability still there

i'd suggest staying away from that route... if anything keep checking on 25rs and every couple months someone is selling an AVO kit for under 2000.... i'd just go that route if your not up to a swap plus they say you can install that in a weekend or with help from a few people here i'm sure in a few hours

thats just my 2 cents on the deal... but you do need to go with the route you wanna go with

35. Snowbum

Awww geez, if you can only get 150-170whp dont even consider it. Turbo swap, vf39/16g on the ej257 or ej22t

36. carl

carl Well-Known Member

this is a great thread. I'm almost glad to be building an n/a sti

37. AWDimprezaL

a 600 hp domestic and a 600 hp subaru are gonna be two totally different animals, @ that HP the domestic will probably be very mild mannered around town, a 600 hp subaru is gonna be a PITA to drive.

38. qstarin

My car's dead ****ing sexy and I love it. I would not trade it for a WRX.

39. qstarin

This sums up pretty much all my opposition to the SC kit, and hearing someone else say it really sinks it home.

Swap will be more work and probably more $$, but I'd be starting from a new platform rather than maxing out my existing platform. Thinking of it that way pretty much closes the issue.

Thanks for letting me bounce this off everyone to help make up my mind!

40. 95lwrx

95lwrx Well-Known Member

swap/ i got my 02 donor complete car, shipped to me for under 3k. simple. i have a guy that goes to ins auctions and buys cars for people, i can get you contacted with him.

41. qstarin

This. Could be a month or even two before I have cash in hand, but yes - absolutely.

42. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

Fail.

This is an example of how to respond to an insult. And he's got a very valid point...

QFT. A 600 hp V8 is going to be a fairly easy car to drive around. Plenty of low end torque means that you don't have to put your foot into it very far at all to get it going. A small displacement large turbo car is going to be a fairly peaky animal depending on the block/turbo/tune.

I'd also be interested in the contact info for the insurance auctions. I've been thinking about an STI swap and wouldn't mind seeing what they're going for at auction. Shoot me a PM if you get a chance. :)

Qstarin, since you've already got the WRX drivetrain in your car your swap should be a fairly straightforward one. You could probably make some money towards mods for the engine by selling off bits of the donor car (trans, rear end, etc) and have those ready to go by the time you're swapping everything in.

43. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

this is why you don't ask opinions on this site.

NA- drivable, reliable, fairly cheap
    SC- drivable, consistant power band, low end, spendy, looses some reliability
    Custom Turbo- harder to drive daily, troublesome, fast, unique, more potential power, more potential problems
    Swap- drivable, reliable, base for building up, existing parts, spendy

choose for yourself what YOU want out of YOUR car. seriously, this isn't a debate about what is best for your car in other people's minds... build it to YOUR liking and YOUR needs

44. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

Oh My ****ing God!!!!!!!!

OK. Lets look at this kit, for starters. It is a centrifugal supercharger. Their boost response is not anywhere near that of a roots type blower. They are essentially a belt driven turbo, and respond as such. The boost curve is not linear, and never will be due to how said compressor works. End of story. You might as well have a turbo. Strike one.

Their kit, with the piggy back, lets you change fuel and retard timing. You cannot advance the timing with any kind of interceptor piggyback. Strike two.

Yes it is a simple bolt on affair. Do you honestly think that satisfactory experiences come easy? Absolutely not. A weekend kit will have some simple bolt on/gain fun, but what do you learn/accomplish? Not a whole hell of a lot. Strike three.

The long and short of it is, you will not gain a significant amount unless there are blood, sweat, tears, and downtime involved. If all you want is some easy weekend deal. Fine. Have at it. I can't dog you for that. If you want to really get dirty and have some serious owner satisfaction from the deal, do a turbo setup.

If you are trying to do any of this on your only means of transportation, a beater should be priority number one. Unless you plan on investing tons of cash, don't bank on a hot-rod as being your sole means of transportation.

There is not much like firing up a fresh motor on an untested turbo setup using your own wiring.

45. AWDimprezaL

Ive learned this the hard way, unless you have other modes of transport, dont mod your daily driver to the extreme.