Should I supercharge it?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by qstarin, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Well-Known Member

Hmm...I deleted 11 worthless and off topic childish bantering posts.

Please keep it clean or leave!!!

2. Goalie

Goalie MNSubaru Goaltender

Agree 100% I learned the hard way also, I will never do this again.

3. qstarin

qstarin Well-Known Member

Thank you. Much appreciated.

Technical points I didn't know but understand. More reason not to do SC.

I don't think it comes easy - the kit seemed too easy. I value the effort as much as the end result. Anyone who helped me with my tranny project probably saw that.

I've been learning about the gamble involved in modding my DD. :)

A swap may be extreme to some, but I think it can be done and be very daily driveable. I certainly don't want to mod it into something I can't drive every day. Not yet, at least.

I know I'll have to plan carefully and allow for plenty of unexpected downtime when the time actually comes.

4. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

a bigger headache than a turbo kit? yea, the mounting bracketry is the hardest part. but, like I said, no oil lines, no coolant lines, no fabbing exhaust, no nothing. that bracket could be recreated without a welder.

it does sum up the opposition, but I don't think it's entirely true. like I said, I don't like that kit, especially since it wasn't designed for a GC. But I wouldn't rule out the blower just yet.

I don't know anything about their EM solution. so I have no idea whether it will work or not. But EM is going to be where you make or break (literally) your setup. so I would not skimp there. going to a stand alone (I'm a fan of the Link setups that Dan, Max and I have, but there are so many options) will allow you to have some fun now on this motor, and go bigger and better later.

I've got to run now, but might give a little more info later if I've got time. keep researching, look at reddevil's projects (and every time you see a post with blown up motor pieces, remember, almost every one was a result of his PP6 and NOS).

5. Bielke55

Bielke55 Well-Known Member

Where do you get the correct pulley for the SC?
    Where do you find the right size belt for SC?
    Where do you put a Pulley and Tensioner on the motor for the SC?
    Where does the plumbing for the air intake go?
    Is your Alternator gonna fail cause the SC is steal power?
    Does the 4cyl have enough power to spin the SC to make any power?
    ETC...

6. qstarin

All the hardware is included with the kit - pulley, belt, brackets, intake tract, pod filter, etc.

Is the alternator going to fail? Can't imagine that unless somthings wacky with the belt and it destroys the bearing or something.

Does the 4cyl have enough power to spin the SC? It would seem so. They have a dyno plot that shows a huge initial drop in torque, but the bottom of that drop is still a ways above stock torque.

It's still under 200hp, though, with not a lot of room for improvement.

7. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

qstarin. forget the kit. if you're going to supercharge (definitely possible), assemble the kit how you want it. like dan mentioned, the blower that rapter uses is a centrifugal one. no advantage to that. the Eaton that I'm using, as well as the ones I've linked to are roots-type, and will generate boost much faster and at lower rpm.

the Mercedes M62 pictured will generate about 4psi on the stock pullies.

http://www.mvreader.com/multiview/d...gBeltsSearch.x=21&bgDimPolyCogBeltsSearch.y=5

number of ways to run the belt. can just go around the rad hose like reddevil. or down under it for better wrap (more difficult, because you have to add an idler or 2). the alternator is still the tensioner.
    reddevil's setup:
    [​IMG]

use a small cone filter between the ABS pump and the strut tower, or run it down into the fender for a CAI.
    [​IMG]

why on earth would the alternator fail? belt moves the same speed...only electrical draw is the stock electromagnetic pulley on the blower. about the same draw as your dome light.

the Mercedes M62 was designed for a 2.3l 4-cyl. choosing the right size blower is just as important as choosing the right size turbo. and there are almost as many options.

8. qstarin

I appreciate all the info, Chux - but a large part of the appeal of the kit was that I wouldn't have to figure out bracketing and belt routing and whatnot. If I'm going to sink a bunch of effort into it, then I really lean towards swap.

I guess swap was the main idea since the day I bought the car, but ideas like NA build, frakenbuild, and SC have always caught my eye too.

I also see they finally posted a marginally visible dyno chart, and honestly it is unimpressive (http://s547.photobucket.com/albums/hh452/raptorsc/?action=view&current=RaptorvsStock.jpg).

Initially I got a few ideas in my head about the negatives of a 2.0 turbo setup, but they were wrong and a couple of rides made that obvious. Though, with our crappy 1st syncros there's something to be said for being able to put along at 800 rpm in 2nd and be able to get moving okay when the road opens. There is something to be said, but not all that much. lol Double-clutching into 1st isn't terrible and I can always slip the clutch a bit in 2nd too to avoid a big low-rpm bog.

After doing the tranny, I feel pretty confident that I could pull off a WRX swap. Worst part may be wiring - I can read diagrams and mod harness, and if I get lazy I could always pay ECS or someone to merge it for me. And if I had a whole donor car I'd know going in that I'd have the vast majority of what I'd need right there.

Not to mention that I'd really like a fresher tranny, too - so wrecked swap is totally FTW on that point.

9. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

yea, there is no kit that will solve all the problems in one. that's why the setups that work are so cheap, there's a lot of research involved.

it does sound like you're leaning more towards swap, and like you've got good reasons for it. so, start looking for a parts car (DEFINITELY get a complete donor car). that way you know you have everything, and you know it works. it might cost you a bit more (although, paying someone to remove the parts you need is not exactly cost effective), but the hassle-reduction is well worth it.

heck, if steel prices go up by the time you get done, you might not even have to pay to have the hulk taken away.

10. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I know you've pretty much scrapped the idea. but since there was an update on Skidds project, I thought I'd share.

pretty sweet idler pulley mount, and belt routing.

bracket, bolts to PS pump bracket:
    [​IMG]

installed:
    [​IMG]

11. qstarin

Well, I think the decision is made.

I just bought someone's wrecked wrx for a swap donor.

12. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

so you arent supercharging it then ? ha ha hah a

13. qstarin

Nope. Though I am going FI. Its going to be cheaper and more powah! More work, of course, but I've got nothing against getting a little dirty.