Sim Racing.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by housemusic1, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

....that'll teach you for buying the Thrustmaster pedals. :oops:

2. housemusic1

housemusic1 Well-Known Member

We're up and running. I'm already brainstorming on how to add more to this rig, to make it more user friendly. Definitely need to add a handbrake, and I'm not sure how much I like the conical brake upgrade. Its beefy, but I think it may be too beefy. Monitor mounts shipped from 80/20 today, so I should be rocking triples soon. I'll give these Thrustmaster pedals a little time, but I think Fanatec pedals are in my future.

Chin likes this.
  3. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

4play rig incoming... :coffee:

housemusic1 likes this.
  4. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

like I said, I have some fanatec pedals I'd sell on the cheap if you had interest.

5. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Weak sauce breh. Step up your game!

6. housemusic1

After making multiple purchases from 80/20 Inc & McMaster Carr, I was finally able to mount the other 2 monitors last night. Now I just need to work on my FOV settings! 20180914_194807-1024x576.jpg 20180914_194802-800x450-1024x576.jpg 20180914_194813-1024x576.jpg 20180914_194826-1024x576.jpg 20180915_011826_HDR-1024x576.jpg

Chin, jubella2 and GrawvyRobber like this.
  7. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

8. SurlyOldManMN

What is that keyboard mount? Finally got my stuff together and not super enthusiastic about the approach they used for keyboard and button box mounts.

9. housemusic1

Its an improvised Macgyver mount that the previous owner made. The keyboard is held up by 2 little plastic nubs. It's actually pretty slick. It pivots on a hinge, and you can swing the keyboard out of the way very easily. I had to extend the mount a little, because I'm 6'5", so when I'm not racing, I move the seat back, and that would put the keyboard out of reach a bit. I just added a couple pieces that I got from 80/20, otherwise it came with the rig. I like the versatility of 80/20, but it can be a little tedious when trying to add on to the rig. I bought a handbrake last week, and I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to mount it.

20180915_201155-768x1365.jpg 20180915_201235-1024x576.jpg 20180915_201222-1024x576.jpg 20180915_201312-1024x576.jpg 20180915_201257-1024x576.jpg 20180915_201505-1024x576.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    GrawvyRobber likes this.
  10. SurlyOldManMN

Hmmm... interesting... Mine came with some 180* swivels but they're mounted to the main wheel support. Makes it awkward to get it in the right position and swing at the correct angle. Might take a note from yours and get a little offset bit so I can move the pivots. This is my current config, you can kinda see how the hinges being where they are causes clearance issues:

[​IMG]

11. SurlyOldManMN

*In related news, the above replaces a Next Level Racing stand. I haven't decided what I'm doing with that yet. Might give it to the minion... but if I don't I'll have it for sale shortly if anyone is interested. The wheel deck is predrilled for thrustmaster or fanatec stuff, pedal plate may need to be drilled for anything not-thrustmaster. Supposedly drilled for fanatec but didn't work for my v3i's OOTB:

[​IMG]

12. housemusic1

So do you just need to extend the keyboard tray, or get it to swivel further out of the way?

13. SurlyOldManMN

This one came with shims on the back that support the gear. Technically don't need it to be a "tray", it gets the job done support wise. Mostly I want more articulation and/or better placement. Swiveling it out of the way isn't a problem, getting it to a nice comfortable position that doesn't feel weird is tricky with the gear I have.

14. housemusic1

I picked up a cheap 7" tablet on eBay. Anybody here using an Android tablet for a sim dashboard?

15. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

I was before I went VR... I was using an app that allowed me to create my own virtual buttons and then use them to trigger a keyboard press. Was pretty slick once I got it set up, though creating the interface was time consuming.

I also had created a cell phone mount for the CSWv2 that I used to show my dashboard.

None of it is really missed to much with VR...

16. SurlyOldManMN

So this just happened...

[​IMG]

17. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

deleted as Id posted earlier

18. curly2k3

Surly rocking the DD...niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

19. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

Oh my...

20. curly2k3

I built a tower with an RTX 2080, so I'm hoping that gives me some additional performance over the 1070 in the laptop

21. SurlyOldManMN

22. glen

glen Well-Known Member

what's the league name?

23. SurlyOldManMN

"STRUM FEST Z71 RACING LEAGUE"

glen likes this.
  24. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Craftsman Truck Series?

25. SurlyOldManMN

Don't mind the name. He does completely random things. Tonight is radicals or corvettes (I guess somehow this makes sense?) at indy road.

26. housemusic1

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  27. SurlyOldManMN

Bump from left field!

I have a simucube 2 pro on pre-order which is supposed to ship in a week or two. Once that gets here the Accuforce will be for sale.

28. curly2k3

I can't wait to get mine set up again finally... kinda want to upgrade to an Odyssey + for a better HMD than the Explorer

29. SurlyOldManMN

You should upgrade your wheel too. I know a guy... :D

30. curly2k3

I think I already owe the guy who would be selling such a device since I've had his shifter attached to the side of my rig for the better part of a year I believe.

31. minnesotanice

minnesotanice Well-Known Member

Forgot about this thread. Finally got my rig set back up after a year plus. Should be shaking the rust off this weekend.

32. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

Let me know what you will be looking to get for it...I may have to make an impulse purchase. ;)

33. SurlyOldManMN

$700. Includes Sim Commander 4 license and leather rim. I've got a spare NRG v2.7 QR I can let go for cheap too.

First Simucube 2's just got sent to resellers today so hopefully shouldn't be more than a couple weeks out now.

Chin likes this.
  34. curly2k3

see, if I did that, then I'd need to way overspend and get some insane pedals, then I'd need a new rig (80/20), etc....

35. SurlyOldManMN

I mean, I do kinda wanna get a beefier rig with solid frame rails so I can add actuators... that would mean I'd have a 4play rig for sale.

:coffee:

36. SurlyOldManMN

What do you play? I'm going to be running around on iracing a bit this weekend. Have a couple events to practice for.

37. minnesotanice

Just got back into AC. Played project cars 2 for a while back when I had it set up at my old place. I definitely need more practice before getting into iRacing.

38. SurlyOldManMN

Bah, best way to practice for iRacing, is to practice in iRacing. :D

minnesotanice likes this.
  39. curly2k3

once my **** is set up again and in its actual resting location and the finances level off a bit, I may need to finally buckle down and buy into that ecosystem

40. minnesotanice

How much is it a month? Never actually played. I also gotta figure out how to get my H-pattern to work. something is screwy with it.

41. minnesotanice

Oh! Looks like they have 50% off new memberships. $55 for the year. I will definitely be getting into it this weekend. I will keep y'all updated for a date/time if you want to join!

42. SurlyOldManMN

That's a loaded question. iRacing is expensive. Anyone who tells you different is pulling your prick.

That said... it's not like any other racing sim. It's kind of a misnomer to call it a racing sim at all. It's really a legal, online motorsports sanctioning body (they are incorporated as such). You pay for the sanctioning, live stewards, etc. They could swap in any sim engine and it would still be a fundamentally different product, they just happen to have their own engine.

As a sanctioned motorsports activity it's pretty reasonable. As a sim it's expensive as hell... I compare the costs to something like SCCA dues and trackday fees as opposed to purchase price for Assetto Corsa or Project Cars. It's still $texas but It's worth it to me because there are zero other options that offer the same caliber of competition out of the box. Sometimes you can get close with SRS sessions or private rF2 leagues if you really dig. Also the endurance system complete with driver changes and whatnot flat out doesn't exist anywhere else. On top of the subscription you have to pay for each car and track you want to run. It adds up fast. If you run a couple full seasons you'll have most of the tracks for that discipline.

If you're good with all that and value competition, I'd recommend getting ahold of one of the $5/3 month subscriptions and use a burner email. Don't buy any extra content on that account. If you like it, then get the longest initial subscription you can afford with your "real" email address. You only get that 50% discount once...

Feel free to dm me if you're interested. I'd be happy to get you started!

43. SurlyOldManMN

Can't seem to find an active $5/3 month code with quick search. Here's a $10/3 month though:
    PR-GRIPTV19

Edit:
    $4:78 for 3 months
    PR-HOTLAPS

$49 for 1 year
    PR-OUTLAWS

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  44. SurlyOldManMN

PS, this is about to be a thing: