Sim Racing.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by housemusic1, Jul 19, 2018.

1. glen

glen Well-Known Member

They always run discounts on subscription renewals around black Friday too.

2. minnesotanice

minnesotanice Well-Known Member

I know how iRacing works, love the fact that it is essentially a full racing league. I'm just worried about my skill level. Don't want to pay for it then get suspended for making a mistake in my racing that I just wasn't ready for. Thus practicing in PCars and AC to get my skill level back up (first few laps were rough getting back into it). The idea of it is wonderful. I suppose just like most things in life I just have to cowboy up and dive in head first.

3. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

start in AC then move into a slower car/series like Miatas?

4. minnesotanice

That's the plan!

5. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

Ehhh... It's good that you're concerned. That already puts you ahead of many. It's also not as bad as all that if you operate with a little common sense.

Everyone starts in Global MX5 cars on the road series for rookies so having too much car to deal with shouldn't be too big a problem

If you treat it more or less like real life you'll be fine. Suspensions are typically the result of intentional poor behavior like retaliation or really, really unsafe behavior like an unsafe rejoin that takes out half the field. If you don't do anything on track that you wouldn't do IRL you'll be fine For example: As you would (hopefully) do IRL, take your time putting in a lot of practice and getting comfortable with the car and track before jumping in a race. Stick with the same car for a while to really master it, don't bounce around between 8 different cars in the same day. You'll suck at all of them, like you would if you did that IRL. It's all about focused preparation.

Other than that, just remember rookies is about learning to survive in traffic. It isn't about winning. That alone makes the first week a lot more enjoyable. ;)

Issue with trying to use PC/AC is they don't offer the competitive environment. That's where the real learning curve is. Anyone can adapt the to the physics model and figure out how to get a car around the track without too much trouble. It's the "everything else" that can be a culture shock. It's a big mentality shift going from 5 minute YOLO races with minimal damage that demand a hyper aggressive approach by design, to 45 minute race where a single misstep ends your entire race. Like IRL you have to be more patient and deliberate with your approach.

6. minnesotanice

That's definitely what I like to hear. That was my biggest gripe about Forza, PC, AC and the lot. Online is just a cluster in traffic and takes out any real enjoyment of the racing aspect. I definitely want a more realistic racing platform so this sounds perfect. I'll definitely be checking it out this weekend. Hopefully I can figure out my H-shifter by then.

7. curly2k3

I wish Gran Turismo Sport didn't fail SO hard at this concept. Was fantastic at first, then people quickly learned how to punt other cars and get THEM to get the penalty. Haven't touched it since probably a week or two after launch as a result, personally.

8. minnesotanice

Its disappointing but I feel that without a live steward, there will always be someone to abuse it. Side note, does anyone have a cheap-ish option for an articulating keyboard mount? I have VR and cant really reach my keyboard easily while I have my rig set up. I found one that would be awesome but its $295. Anyone use something similar that works for much less?

9. SurlyOldManMN

Still on the lookout myself. Mine is on a simple swingarm for now. It's not that bad to just lean over when I need it. A lot of people just keep a wireless keyboard on hand and put in their lap when they need it. Ideal would be to score a nice used ram mount or similar.

Alternatively, you could always buy my NLR stand and get this for it...

https://www.amazon.com/Next-Level-Racing-Keyboard-Stand-pc/dp/B01CXYJJIY/

10. minnesotanice

I saw the NLR one and was thinking of that. Don't have a mount for it, but I'm sure I could jerry rig it. I'll do a bit more research and see where I end up. How much are you asking for it?

11. SurlyOldManMN

What kind of wheel do you have? I wouldn't recommend it for anything above thrustmaster or fanatec belt drive power...

12. minnesotanice

I have a thrustmaster tx.. so no bueno. Does it not swivel? I see a lot of people use tablet holders. Might try that.

13. SurlyOldManMN

Thrustmaster TX is fine, that's what I was running. The mounting plate directly supports it (with two mounting points). The keyboard attachment I linked above has three swivels.

Also... any interest in an F1 wheel?

14. minnesotanice

I may have to check it out then, I'll do some more research tomorrow. As for the F1 wheel, I already have one!

15. curly2k3

Is it the cheap prancing pony F1 wheel that's cheap on amazon?

16. SurlyOldManMN

Yup, basically new. I *might* convert it to USB because I don't have another formula style wheel yet but I'm not real crazy about the width.

17. curly2k3

yeah IIRC that one is pretty narrow isn't it?

18. SurlyOldManMN

Unfortunately that really is "full size". Turns out most formula-style rims are just that small. Typically they're 260-270mm with wider ones running 285 mm. My current sportline is 300mm and that already feels pretty small. I really like the r383 330mm dimensions but so far have found precisely zero formula options over 300mm outside of Turn Racing's (local guy) 315mm exact replica of vantage GTE rim. Since it's a real world replica (made to spec for the real world driver) it doesn't necessarily provide the best set of controls for a racing sim which is a bit tough to swallow at $1200. Makes me a little sad panda.

19. curly2k3

I wish I would've remembered to snag the R383 when Amazon had it dirt cheap

20. SurlyOldManMN

Just in from Poland... Box somehow arrived in pristine condition, yet the box for my 4play rig delivered from California looked like it played a pivotal role in an international incident involving asset exchange with a country prone to casual disregard for human rights.

[​IMG]

21. SurlyOldManMN

Also, this from Russia...

[​IMG]

22. curly2k3

was the cali package more poorly packaged than mine from michigan?

23. SurlyOldManMN

lolnope, that was special!

The 4play rig was packaged very well. It just got the **** kicked out of it in transit. Contents was still super secure. Wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.

Just got shipping notice on the SC2 pro. Should be here Thursday.

Still dicking around with current configuration. This is how it sits at the moment until/unless I can figure out a way to get the handbrake closer. Just waiting on rewiring:
    [​IMG]

tangledupinblu likes this.
  24. curly2k3

I dig it. Really, really thinking about grabbing an Odyssey + for a bit more power out of the HMD, the IPD adjustment would be nice too.

25. SurlyOldManMN

Managed to mostly solve issue TSSH being a fat pig that's in the way of ****ing everything by making the handle huge AF and dropping it slightly below everything else. Got it all wired. Just need to do cable management but can't be bothered until SC2 goes on:

[​IMG]

26. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Looks like fun!

27. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

I use a gooseneck tablet mount with modified RAM mounts. I screwed the base into my rig (older RSeat) and then glued a RAM mount 'ball' to the back of the keyboard and plug it into the female mounted on the gooseneck. The gooseneck is adjustable, plus the added adjustment of the RAM ball mount. It does bounce a bit, but not noticeable in VR. ;)

28. minnesotanice

Any one care to drive tonight? I've been toying with buying ACC as I'm starting to get tired of PCars2 career. I've pretty much used Assetto Corsa as a hot lapping platform as I can't seem to find a decent server to race online in. Willing to drive in whatever.

29. curly2k3

I should really set mine up in the new house at some point.

minnesotanice likes this.
  30. minnesotanice

It was one of the first things I did when I moved in. Went without it for a year and really had to get back into it.

31. curly2k3

I drug it out and made space for it, but I haven't loaded up AC with content manager even onto my tower.

32. SurlyOldManMN

This is why iracing exists. Online racing is ass for the other options out of the box. You have to go third party to find good quality racing on the regular. I think I mentioned SRS before. That's what I'd do if I were looking for good racing in AC, here's the link:
    http://simracingsystem.com/

33. minnesotanice

I really want to get into iRacing but I just can't carve out enough time to justify paying for the subscription. It seems like one or two days every other week I end up racing. I will check out SRS though.

34. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

Racing on the CP Servers in ACC is getting pretty good... Looking forward to the IGTC DLC released today, but heading out of town on Thurs.

35. minnesotanice

Judging from what I've heard/researched/experienced. I'll likely be getting ACC and playing this weekend should I find time.

36. curly2k3

pretty sure it was on sale still on humble for their sim sale

37. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

Yep...$24. :thumbup:

38. SurlyOldManMN

Ohhh... this I did not know! Suppose I'll pick it up too. have bathurst 12 hour coming up this weekend in iracing, will be interesting to see how it feels compared to new bathurst in ACC.

39. minnesotanice

Any one do mods for AC here? I'm having issues with some new cars. I'm installing them via content manager. I installed some of the VRC F1 cars and they worked fine. Now, I'm loading in some other ones and they show they are fine, but when I go to load the race, the game sputters and backs out to the lobby screen. Thoughts, tips, tricks?

40. CornyTumbleweed

CornyTumbleweed Well-Known Member

Not sure what everyone’s gaming platform is but Dirt Rally 2 is one of the free PlayStation Plus games of the month. From what I’ve read it should be available for download starting April 7th.

41. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Kind of off topic, but kind of on topic...but has anyone here watched on TV any of the pro-invitational iRacing that is being done? I have found the NASCAR races more enjoyable than the real thing.

glen likes this.
  42. minnesotanice

I've been watching the F1 stuff and it's fairly entertaining. Obviously not the real stuff but it'll get me through the quarantine

43. curly2k3

Haven't had a chance to catch the F1, have no interest in the NASCAR. I had issues with content manager and mods as well, still haven't had a great chance to set it all up in the new house and on the new rig to this point.

44. minnesotanice

It's odd because everything is in the proper spot and shows up under the list of cars, but just won't load in. Fairly frustrating.

45. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

Great to see sim racing getting some coverage... Wish it wasn't so focused on iRacing, though (I understand why that is, though...)

Anyone pick up AMS2? Been enjoying it despite Early Access (Chevettes are a blast on small tracks). A couple of us are racing ~ every other evening. I usually start up a room: "Race of Chin" :ninja: