Single Din to Double Din Radio (01 Forester)

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by predavore, Jul 6, 2018.

1. predavore

predavore Well-Known Member

So I have a single DIN radio in my Forester with a pocket below. I've ordered a new receiver which is Double Din and have a couple questions. No I haven't torn the dash apart yet, but what I do remember from my 02 WRX is that there were a pair of ears/brackets that mounted the radio in. Is the 01 with a single din the same configuration? I bought a cheapo radio off Amazon that has no disc player, only radio and aux/bluetooth. I've owned the car for two years and never played a disc in it. Recently, it's been flaky so a replacement is on order.

Knowing that the new radio doesn't come with any mounting capabilities, do I have what I need at this point? Can I just eliminate the pocket and assume the brackets are in there?

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

The last time that i saw a single din radio in a Subaru, it had a single din bracket. You will more than likely need the mounting brackets as well

3. predavore

Well, I broke down and took it apart to see. It looks like it is a double din bracket in there. Not sure if that's normal or not, it is an aftermarket radio already. So I should have the brackets I need. The old style cars take a few parts to get to the radio. Ebrake cover, shifter cover, then the radio bezel. Not too bad, just two screws. Looks like it needs a really good cleaning anyways.

4. tangledupinblu

Lucky break!! The one that i had a a single bracket for the radio on each side and the din pocket had a single bracket on each side. So it must have been jerry rigged in there? Was there a single din plastic pocket above or below it? Or just a hole?

5. predavore

Single din pocket below connected to the radio with the brackets on either side.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  6. predavore

Got a double DIN radio (no disc) touch screen with navigation and backup camera from Amazon for $116. Ordered a harness and shrink tube and will hopefully put it together tomorrow. Can't wait. Android OS and bluetooth with wifi. Has screen mirroring. Should be good. Can't wait.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  7. tangledupinblu

Sweet! Looking forward to pics!