Site updates and changes 12-23-13

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Front Office' started by WRX1, Dec 23, 2013.

1. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

This morning I did some site updates. Just another XF update and updated some of our add-ons. I noticed that the donation manager widget needs some work and a couple of other things.

Over the next week, I plan on getting a bunch of the items on my action list taken care of. Some of these items will require actions from everyone.

Tapatalk and the responsive design.
    As I state earlier, MNSubaru does have a responsive design built in. I just need to get the parameters tweeked for screen size and get the responsive ads in place. For the time being, Tapatalk will remain in place until I have the responsive design tweeked to our liking. The biggest thing is to get the screen sizes selected that hit most mobile devices.

Tapatalk is going to be getting some changes. It will ONLY be available to registered users/mods/admins/vendors. It will no long work if you are not signed in. I am also going to try and kill off new user signups through the app, but I don't think I can.

Forum spam and YOU
    I have sorted through over 200 new users from late Friday night (I checked around 5pm) until this morning (6am). 3 of them were valid users. I spent a little over 2 hours doing as many checks as I could to validate these new users. Some are pretty easy and some do some serious work to try and spam everyone. So this was pretty much the last straw in dealing with these morons. Here are some of the changes that will be made.

No more temporary email services.
    No more proxy servers for new AND CURRENT users.
    Valid email addresses will be required for EVERYONE.
    A required user field (something like location or car type, something I still need to determine).

With these changes, current users will need to update their accounts to comply with these changes. As these changes come online, you will be asked to update your account to add this information. If these changes do not get updated to your account, the automatic spam cleaner will remove your account.

First up is your email. PLEASE update your account to have a current valid email address. MNSubaru gets about 100 bounce emails a day from people who do not have valid email addresses. Sometimes I just go in and remove the bad email. From here on out, if you have a email address that is bouncing back, the system will let you know and after a "to be determined" time frame, your account will be suspended until your email address has been taken care of.

Sorry for the wall of text, but this is stuff that we will need to take care of. If not, the spam flood gates will open up. I have been blocking IP's, I have been blocking temp email sites, I have been blocking proxies, but we are at a point that other bigger changes are going to go into effect.

If you have any questions, please ask away. If you seen anything weird on the site, please let me know. And finally, I will break out some of this thread into individual threads for each task that needs to be completed.

Thanks
    Russ

2. NastyLeggySS

NastyLeggySS Well-Known Member

Hey Russ,
    I use a jailbroken and unlocked iphone and think you may have blocked me. I have not been able to get on since this. Any way you could unblock me? If so, what info would you need?

Corey

3. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Well, since you posted here, I have no idea what you are talking about. A jailbroken and unlocked iphone has nothing to do with being able to log into the site. If you can tell me why you think I have blocked you (and what that means), I can try and help.

Russ

Mr.Tran likes this.
  4. NastyLeggySS

Well, above it says that you have been blocking IPs. Im not super tech savy, but I slowly work through stuff and figure it out. I think I have read that since my phone is jailbroken, that it is like using a proxy also. All that is neither here nor there. When I click on the link after searching google for mnsubaru, I get a "blocked:blank" message in my address bar.

5. NastyLeggySS

When I say you may have blocked me, I dont mean ME(nastyleggyss), I meant my IP. Obviously I can log in, since I am posting on here.