Snowboarding 09-10

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mnstilynwrx, Oct 6, 2009.

1. mnstilynwrx

mnstilynwrx Well-Known Member

Post some pics of what board your rockin this year and what ever else you want. I know its a little ealry but why not.
    Me in Colorado last year

2. jolson05

jolson05 Member

[​IMG]

Me snowboarding in Chile of August '08.

[​IMG]
    My snowboard - '08/'09 Burton Custom X 168 Wide

3. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

Pics are from Jackson Hole last year. The one of my wife is right after we dropped the bowl (in the background) at the top. The one that looks like nothing (last pic) is a shot of my wife and her friend coming down the bowl... to give you an idea of how crazy big it was... plus the 15 minutes it took us to get the rest of the way down.

I am rocking the K2 darkstar this year. Flux bindings and some K2 raider boa system boots. Oh and the helmet with the sexy goggles.

if you are riding at afton this year hit me up. i teach lessons all day sunday and i am riding the rest of the week. if you want to learn how to snowboard PM me and you can get my info and request that we teach you. free lessons with every rental.

4. kmw1191

kmw1191 Well-Known Member

Can this include skis and skiers? Or do I have to go elsewhere? haha :hsugh:

5. HiImBrian

HiImBrian Member

^get outa here kevin!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. ofspunk7

i don't teach skiers.. because i don't own skis anymore. but yes, you get free lessons with ski or snowboard rental.

7. kmw1191

I mean can I post pictures here of my skis? haha :)

8. ofspunk7

forbidden!
    no dude it is cool. we will allow the double planks as well as the single ones!:biggrin:

9. kmw1191

Yay :biggrin: I will have to get some pictures this weekend when I go home :)

10. KSAL

KSAL Well-Known Member

KUCKLE DRAGGERS ONLY!!! J/K :) I will be on either my Rome Graft or Rome Design this year. Looking at getting into a libtech Riders Choice BTX this year though. IF ANYONE NEEDS SNOW EQUIPMENT LET ME KNOW. I work at a small shop just north of the cities (Pinewski's) and i can get lots of stuff and will be more than willing to lend advice and info on equipment as well as give a hook up if you need to purchase something.

11. mnstilynwrx

^^ awesome! look for some new boots this year. Any recomendations? Looking for a good park boot but something that is nice fitting (i have wide feet).
    Keep the pics coming!

12. ofspunk7

Tell Dan, Derek says Hi! I used to work at Pinewski's with Paul (owner of FL Project) back in the day. I worked there for about a year. Also went to school with a bunch of Dan's family. SMALL WORLD!

Yes people, DO NOT buy your snowboard or ski stuff from places like Zumies! support the local shops. Pinewski's knows there stuff.... As well my buddy owns the FL Project and that is a great local shop. If you go to the FLP talk to Paul and tell him Derek sent you. He will make sure you are taken care of.

13. tonyM

tonyM Well-Known Member

THIS THIS THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Defiantly support the local shops!!!!! They were here when it wasnt "cool" and will be here long after.

As far as the season, I can't wait to ride. We rode before Halloween last season at wild. The snow sucked, but was still awesome to ride that early.

I'll also be posting in the event section our annual Lutsen trip. We've gone for the past 5 years, and Im trying to get more people to go so we can justify renting 2 townhouses. We all go in on food and my wife and I cook 3 meals a day. We also go in on kegs, usually 2-3. its ALL time. Lusten isnt the greatest, but it is a fun time.

Ive been using Ride boards for the longest time. I had a fleetwood last season, but I might change it to a Lib Tech this year. I'm limited because of how big my feet are.

Oh yeah, and this is the only picture I have.....its old :)

14. Bheims

Bheims Member

Winter Park...CO is amazing, going out in the midwest is never the same

BTW - I have a $100 gift card to Welch Village if anyone wants it. Im willing to trade it or sell it, any offers welcome. I need a new board, currently using a Rossignol Butane

15. mnstilynwrx

when did you go to winterpark? A few of my buddys and I went around end of january. pretty fun time!

16. Bheims

Bheims Member

two friends of mine have parents who own a place at the base of winter park, its really sweet but there are definitely more places that I'd like to go in CO...steamboat, beaver creek, telluride

17. KSAL

KSAL Well-Known Member

I would recommend a 32 boot. Either a lashed or a prospect. Both have a relatively soft flex to them. I guess on a scale of 1-10 (10 being stiff) I would say they are around a 5 or 6. They also have a bit wider "out of the box" fit. This can be taken care of with their heat molding process. All 32 boots have intuition liners which is a type of foam that when heated becomes very soft and pliable, but when it cools it hardens a bit and will contour to your foot, thus making them VERY comfortable boots. (Also do not have to wait the 2-3 weeks for break-in like most others.) Shoot me a PM and we can chat further.

18. KSAL

KSAL Well-Known Member

When did you work there? I've been there for about 8 years now. So I worked with Paul as well. I will be sure to tell Dan hi when I get to work this afternoon.

19. ofspunk7

well i was 16... so about 11 years ago.

from someone who rides every week i would say go with the BOA system. it is really nice to be able to tighten down your boots without taking your gloves off or while you are riding. hit the park and then loosen them with a quick snap. i do a lot of walking during the season, up and down the park. as well on chairlifts. i really like the K2 BOA Raiders I got. I picked them up for like $100 on close out at the end of the season last year. they ride nice, i can make them as tight or as loose as I want them. the other good thing is that it is a pretty even tightness. this is something you don't get with lace up boots. they keep my feet warm, which is key when you ride all day. that is my $0.02

20. tonyM

tonyM Well-Known Member

^^^ You and I are complete opposites when it comes to boots. IMO, the simpler, the better. And less of a chance to fail. Ive had BOA's that came on a pair of DC's. The things lasted 4 days. Broke on me in a gondola at Vail. So you guessed it, I had to ride 4 damn miles down with it lose. I do see your points on how even they tighten up. Just with my experience, I'll never go back. I have a plain jane pair of DC's now, and love them to death.

lol, hows that for 2 opposing views! I hope we didnt confuse mnstilywrx!

21. ofspunk7

I have never had luck with DC. The shoes always fell apart when i was skateboarding. I never had the guts to try on their boots just with all of the major fails that i had with skate shoes. I will say, snowboarding it to each his/her own. so many people ride with so many different styles. Loose, Tight, you name it someone does it.

I chose the BOA system because of the lack of options in Jackson Hole @ the end of march (my boots were shot and need a new pair for the rest of the weekend). I know that BOA systems were bad the first year or two when they first came out. Same thing happened with the K2 Autos (toe strap bindings). But i tell you. When you ride all day long, it is nice to loosen up the boots when you can. We'll see how long they last, I only got 2 weeks on them when i picked them up last march (that is a full season for most people :biggrin:).

22. mnstilynwrx

No confusion, hahaha i guess i will try some on and see what feels the best.
    Ofspunk7 you said you teach lessons at afton? You teach more of the park side or just the "how too's" of snowboarding?

23. 95lwrx

95lwrx Well-Known Member

i really need to get out riding this year, haven't gone much in the last few years :emo:

i have two boards- a old gnu dukester 145 that i use around here, and a gnu carbon high beam 160 for when i go out west.

and a pair the the best bindings EVER made- BENT METAL!!!! from about 10yrs ago and nothing has gone wrong with them except for needing new straps :biggrin:

i also rock the 32 boots, a little stiff in the back for my liking but other than that i love them!

24. ofspunk7

no park. just beginner lessons. you need to get "certification" and pay an annual fee to do that... or be insane in the park and a proven teacher. i am not insane in the park and i am not going to pay to teach someone and get a little pin for it. i just do the hour lessons and ride the rest of the day.

25. tonyM

tonyM Well-Known Member

haha, very well put. But give DC a chance again. I still skate to this day with DC's and have had 6 pairs of boots. Only one that failed me was that boa system one. But eh, I guess what ever works!
    I've taught snowboarding for about 7 seasons. I am experienced in teaching park tips, so if you'd ever like some lessons, I'd be more than happy to ride with ya. free of charge of course.

26. tonyM

tonyM Well-Known Member

BTW, anyone want to take bets if we will be riding before Halloween?

27. ofspunk7

i bet brian's car! and i will throw in the bike on double or nothing!

28. badbennyb

badbennyb Has no title

I'm gonna get myself back into shape and try riding a little bit this year. All I know is my boots are blue and white and my board is probably ten years old. I know its a Burton custom with "Shaft" graphics but don't even remember the size. So yeah, Its been way to long:(

29. mnstilynwrx

I hope we have snow that we can ride on before halloween! I bet $1.
    TonyM will definutly take you up on that offer!

30. subynate

subynate Well-Known Member

tony ill take you up on your bet but i will win.....if you take a look back at my thread last year i made my own snow :)

31. tonyM

tonyM Well-Known Member

You got it!
    Anytime, we'll keep in contact and go ride a park as soon as the snow flys
    I forgot you did that. haha, so you want to start blowing at night so by saturday we can come over and ride?

32. ofspunk7

+1. I'll even bring over the snowskates for some more fun!:biggrin:

33. mctenold

mctenold Well-Known Member

I'll be rockin' a Skate Banana this year. I think I'm also getting a season pass to Welch (instead of Afton like normal). Also will be going out to Aspen/Snowmass this Christmas break.

34. tonyM

tonyM Well-Known Member

did anyone ride the "backbowl" at welch last year? was it any good? or a total waste?

35. mctenold

I heard last year it was only open to season pass holders. But this year it should be open to everyone. Didn't get to ride it, but heard it was pretty nice.

36. mctenold

Also, the back bowl at Welch will have a tree run this year, didn't last year.

37. tonyM

tonyM Well-Known Member

^^^ nice. that one of my favorite things to do is to ride through tree. We found a couple of really good tree lines at Lutsen last year.

38. ofspunk7

Bohemia (sp?) has some great tree runs on the back side. when we went there it was really bad snow on the front... however, we found lots of powder in the back. short drive (UP compaired to Lutsen) and good fun!

39. tonyM

tonyM Well-Known Member

Ive heard of that place. seems like a trip idea for sure.

40. whipsack

whipsack Well-Known Member

08' Salomon Drift 156
    Burton Doom bindings
    Got rid of old boots, so I am also in the market for new ones as well.

41. Tim the Plumber

Tim the Plumber Well-Known Member

anyone willing to give me lessons i dont know how to carve toe side... kidding i would really like to get out and try to get my game back to atleast 50% of what it was

heres some shots i took at a downtown rail jam in Columbus... no pics of me riding though... i will have to see what i can dig out

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

42. emjayem

emjayem Well-Known Member

i rode it last year. it was open initially to season pass holders then open to everyone by jan. 15th? i want to say.

anyways, i rode most of the runs, not quite all of them. they had really steep endings and pretty typical rest of it. there was one run with a whole bunch of disorganized snow piles that actually turned out to be kinda fun. a nice line i found leading up to kind of a natural quarter pipe snow pile, proobably about a 10-12 footer. it was pretty rad tho, kind of doubled as a mixed up spine

lifts were really nice, snow was super choppy and pushed to the edges.

I will be riding my 1997 type a nate cole 149 with technine baseless aluminum binding for about the 12th season now!lol actually I love it and really dont want to switch up, but I think its on its last legs. oh, DC park Ltd boots that are great

at wild last year
    [​IMG]

43. jolson05

jolson05 Member

Baseless? There's a blast from the past. Glad to hear you're still rockin' the baseless. Reminds me of my '94 K2 Juju 158 and baseless bindings with no highbacks. Boy, did I ever think I was the cat's meow with that set up. At least my stance wasn't 26" wide.

In case you don't know what baseless is or what it was used for check out the following.

Scroll down to the baseless binding section.
    http://www.abc-of-snowboarding.com/whatarebindings.asp

44. tonyM

tonyM Well-Known Member

K2 juju FTW. holy old school board from my childhood!
    I had that board with Preston horseshoes!

45. WillC

WillC Well-Known Member

ok so the World Industries (153) was my first board wirh Universal bindings...Now with K2 Indys. Then I upgraded to the K2 Nemisis 161 back country/powder board ~ a 02-03 board)? and that has Ride XL bindings. then just at the tail end of 07-08 season i bought the Burton board 156 set up switch foot with the Cartel bindings. I am using the Burton Mono boots from like 3-4 seasons ago. mostly ride the burton, Dont think i will use the Worl Industries one anymore.....that was the one i was riding when my knee poped on me last Jan 2nd out at Afton....had sugary on the knee and cant wait for this seaon..... I can relate that the midwest in lame... I learned out in Keystone Colorado.