So... Cops... Few ?s...

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by frichdan, Oct 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

D.F. I dont have any advice to help you get out of this, but I can offer something that might help reduce your chances of getting pulled over by C.O.P in the future. You heard my exhaust last time we met, I dont think its all that loud. But its normally alot louder, except for the fact that I modified it. So here's an idea for those interested.

DIY:
    What I've done is I wrapped a single layer of dynomat on the inside of the exhaust tip and than used aluminum roof flashing (lowe's, homedepot, etc), you can decide the length. I basically went with a roll that will amount close to the inside diameter of the muffler filter. You want to unwind it as tight as possible and than drill a hole through it. I fastened mine thru the hole intended for the silencer cap.

Anyway the idea behind this is with the exhaust tip being soo big and thin, it projects loud sound waves that travel very far. And by putting a quishen layer between a thick solid layer really helps reduce the noise level. At least with my setup.

2. mlgez

mlgez Well-Known Member

Yea but last time I check, which has been a while, I thought it said that factory "option" was for off road use only.

3. trek44

trek44 Active Member

so in theory, you can get pulled over for having a radar mount on your windshield? or the gps mounts etc

4. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

^ yes thats why you have to mount the GPS to the dash.

As for the 6" tint on the windshield that is legal and is called a brow. you can have up to 6 inches as dark as you want. to help keep the sun out of your eyes. also you can have tint on the windshield you just need a note from the eye doctor saying you need it. just a little FYI: if you have tint on the windshield they cannot test it as their sensor has to be able to slide over the window. so they cant prove anything.

The spt muffler is pretty dang quite. even with catless TBE. i would be mad about that one. the exhuast laws are BS here anyway. its so subjective that i have heard of people getting harrassed for stock sti mufflers (on stock stis)

5. Se7enrex

Se7enrex Well-Known Member

OK YOU GUYS NEED TO REALIZE THAT THE COPS COULD HAVE ACTUALLY HEARD THE EWG--dump to atmosphere coutesy of a 4 inch pipe:), not the exhaust

6. dipp

dipp Well-Known Member

motorcycles (harley's) get away with loud exhaust due to the fact that, it is that loud stock from the factory and they can't ticket you for OEM even if it is louder than the allowable noise level.

As for me i must just be lucky cause i have no cats, mufflers, or anything of that restricting nature on my car. got pulled over 2 weeks ago cop walked to my window said my licence plate light was out and it was a random DUI check smelled inside the car then said i was free to go.

You should challange the ticket to a decebal meter, but only if you know your gonna win. Other wise don't waste your time.

7. PRA4SNO

PRA4SNO Well-Known Member

Jason, I had the same issue with my exhaust. Mine was barely louder than factory. I had a local officer pull me over and give me a fix it, but heres the kicker. You are given a 7 day period to have it checked. You have to have the EXACT cop that pulled you over check it off. Just cross your fingers and hope you get ticketed by an officer who doesnt work really late hours!

This is where it gets interesting. The station CHIEF couldnt even check me off, and he had no problem telling me that he thought the law was (and i quote), "a misguided decision, at best".

You'd think one officers interpretation of the law is just as good as the others, right?

8. w_o_t_boy

w_o_t_boy Well-Known Member

I saw one of those at the bar last night in Stillwater. His name is Andy, a friend of a friend. Somebody told me he wrecked two squad cars in his first year.

9. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Wouldn't be surprised.

And on the decibel meter topic...There is NO DECIBEL RATING LISTED IN TEH LAW. Do i have to look it up for you guys? Because telling you that I looked it up and the law stated it is teh officer's discretion obviously didn't make it to the grey matter.

In fact, I will, because I'm tired of hearing "decibel meter' in this thread.

10. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Minnesota Statues 2006
    169.69 MUFFLER.

Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler in good working order
    which blends the exhaust noise into the overall vehicle noise and is in constant operation to
    prevent excessive or unusual noise, and no person shall use a muffler cutout, bypass, or similar
    device upon a motor vehicle on a street or highway. The exhaust system shall not emit or produce
    a sharp popping or crackling sound. Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with such
    parts and equipment so arranged and kept in such state of repair as to prevent carbon monoxide
    gas from entering the interior of the vehicle.
    No person shall have for sale, sell or offer for sale or use on any motor vehicle any muffler
    that fails to comply with the specifications as required by the commissioner of public safety.

11. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

From all what I have seen....not in Minnesota. I haven't looked up the actual law, however. Note on Tint Shops...they don't know all the laws. I did tinting for several years and had never heard of a law that there had to be a sticker on the window...we never even had one of those stickers in the store!

12. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

13. pksublime

pksublime Well-Known Member

the only thing that can be on your windshield had to come that way OEM

14. Soupboy

Soupboy Well-Known Member

Wait a minute, the same stupid plate surround that dealers stick on every car is technically illegal?

15. mlgez

mlgez Well-Known Member

Only if it covers your tags.

16. PRA4SNO

PRA4SNO Well-Known Member

^correctamundo.

17. SubeN'Siren

SubeN'Siren Well-Known Member

Care to share what exhaust you have?

18. flstffxe

flstffxe Well-Known Member

A couple of things to take into account are your age and just general vehicle style. Yes, a cop picking you out because of your age and what your car looks like is ILLEGAL but we all know it goes on every day. Put those two things together and youare in for fun. I used to drive a '80 CJ-5 with 6.5" of lift, 33" swampers with a chev 350 with nothing more then glass packs on the exhaust. when I was 16 i got pulled over all the time for every thing, bumper height, no rear view mirror, no front plate..... Although I never got a ticket for any thing being wrong with the Jeep, Mn law states the bumper height at 25" mine was 24 3/4, as for the rear view mirror mn states duel side mirrors or one drivers side mirror and a rear view. so it was just a mater of quoting the law to the officer with out sounding like I was arguing with them, You can get good at this after a few stops. The basic idea here find the laws, know them, set your car up around them.
    As far as the noise "ordinance"(ordinance = city,county... rule) goes the EPA does have very specific laws but once they get to the State/county/city/township level, the city's law is usually written so it is very open to interpretation by the deputies that enforce it. So the best one can do is to know both the federal and local law and when the deputy says your exhaust is too loud then you say for Example: " But I thought the EPA states that "it can't be louder then 80db at less then 35mph and can't be more then 85db at greater then 35mph" when I put it on my car I had it tested and it did meet those requirements. Did the law recently change?" The idea is not to argue but but state the known and ask for more info as if you are trying to be an upstanding citizen. More then likely the deputy will not know the EPA law in this scenario and you now have them at a disadvantage of being caught off guard. Then this also implies that you would like to know the ordinance you are being stopped under and helps to remove the "Well I think it is too loud" from the deputy's story. OR the deputy will think you have been through this before and you know your exhaust is to loud and give you the ticket any way.

Some good info can be had at these sites but clever searching is some times needed, when searching for a regulation think legal speak. Muffler=exhaust,emissions.....
    http://www.cga.ct.gov/2003/olrdata/tra/rpt/2003-R-0676.htm
    http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/noise/motorcyclemuffler.htm
    http://noisepollution.org/lawlib/cities/stpaul.htm
    http://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/arule/7030/
    http://ros.leg.mn/revisor/pages/forms/getrule.php (search statute here)
    As a side note I only get stopped once a year or so now(I don't look 16, any more) just goes to prove age profiling.

19. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

just in case we never got it first post?????? ha ha ha ha

20. blackzpremacy

blackzpremacy Well-Known Member

well

if loud exhaust is the topic at hand, how the hell do harleys not get ticket after ticket???? some one plz answer that question

21. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

You know why I bought the SPT catback??? BECAUSE then I have PROOF that it's an OEM Subaru Performance part!!! I have the receipt for it too! You can even have the DEALER confirm that it's an OEM Performance part and you're all set to go.

It even says on the box, SAE(Society of Automotive Engineers) 50-state legal!!!!!

"I'm sorry officer, but this is an OEM Subaru part."

22. msubyguy81

msubyguy81 New Member

Good thing for you they didn't check for the cat to begin with. That's a huge fine.

23. Hallywood

Hallywood Well-Known Member

You can't have anything on the windshield...at all

24. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

why you say that.. they dont check for it... its not cali'.... yes its a federal law but they dont check for it, otherwise I would say about 45% of the cars, trucks etc in MN would be illegal

25. msubyguy81

msubyguy81 New Member

Iv'e heard stories from guys that have been busted here and I think they said it was over a thousand dollar fine. It's only hear say, but it's what I was told.

26. frichdan

frichdan New Member

Ok, went to court Friday and talked with a very nice lady who was my Hearing Officer. Basically the ticket was dropped and the fee went from $170 to $90. If I wanted to I could then set up a court date and try to fight it. But I just paid it and left happy!

What she told me is that it will always be to the disgretion of the officer. Even if you have a legal exhaust they can ticket u on the spot if they "think or feel" its too loud. You can fight it and win... but they can still be dinks about it and make it so u have to waste your time fighting it.

Anywho.. thanks for all the posts!

Dan

27. 25iguy

25iguy New Member

idk

i have my window at 35 in the back and 50 in the front u cant evn tell the rear is at 35 i havnt got a tint ticket yet

28. flstffxe

flstffxe Well-Known Member

Trust me after being a harley mechanic, I can tell you that many harley riders do get tickets for loud pipes. I got to hear all the complaining they could give to me, I got a ticket because the pipes you put on my bike are to loud yadayada. You paid for them, we told you they were not legal. Just got to go easy on the throttle in certain cities, Anoka, ST. Anthony, Stilwater..... Sadly a loud motorcycle is just more acceptable then a loud car

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.