Soon to be a first time motorcycle owner... Need some advice.

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by MinnesotaFTW, Jul 17, 2015.

1. MinnesotaFTW

MinnesotaFTW Well-Known Member

Hi all, looking to buy a Motorcycle for the first time. I can't seem to decide between between a 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R or a 2011 Honda CBR250R. Both are listed at $2,500. Which bike is a lot "better" for a beginner?

Also, I'm looking to buy full gear under $1,000. What are some of the "best sellers" for the price?

2. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

Don't tip over. That's my advice.

tehfuzz likes this.
  3. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I can beat that..."don't" period.

xodad2 likes this.
  4. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

Good choices. The Kawi is tried and true, but if I recall the CBR will have ABS which can be useful. Personally, I'd lean toward the Ninja unless a good deal pops up on a CBR.

Gear:
    Helmet: Scorpion helmets tend to be great bang-for-buck helmets. I believe there's an Icon on the market that is also a good choice. Whatever you get needs to fit correctly above all else. If you can, go try them on in person and get a feel for comfort. The helmet should fit very snugly and squeeze your cheeks in without putting pressure on your head. If it gets uncomfortable after 10/15 minutes, it's not fitting right. I've purchased helmets over the internet, just be prepared to send them back if they don't fit right.
    Jacket: Again, get something comfortable. I prefer armored textile jackets with removable inserts for cold weather riding.
    Gloves: See above for jacket.
    Pants: Often overlooked, a good pair can usually be had for little expense.
    Boots: Amored riding boots are available. I have a pair of Icon Super Duty boots that I like.

I got a ton of my gear from http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/. They've usually got awesome deals and the owner posts reviews of tons of their products for you to shop with.

MinnesotaFTW and EricS like this.
  5. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Motorcycles are great ideas for children

Ryan FailRad likes this.
  6. EricS

EricS Nooberator

tehfuzz, xodad2 and MinnesotaFTW like this.
  7. blackozone

MinnesotaFTW likes this.
  8. MNGman

MNGman Well-Known Member

Another great beginner bike is the Suzuki SV 650. Small twin with good torque makes it very easy to ride, and you won't think you need something "bigger" right away.
    Take the rider safety course, buy all the safety gear. All of it. Then wear it. All of the time. Don't skimp on the helmet. How much is your head worth?

Silky21L, kongzilla and EricS like this.
  9. MinnesotaFTW

Understood, thanks :).
    For sure. I don't know anything about riding, so I'm going to be doing a lot of classes/courses/YouTube videos.

Thanks for the advice :)

10. clajiness

clajiness Well-Known Member

Best advice.

There are two kinds of riders. Those who have been down, and those who will go down. If you take the class, you statistically have a better chance of keeping your bike upright. You'll also get to take your endorsement test at the end of the class.

But ya, don't skimp on gear. I got to live after my crash because I was wearing good gear, head to toe.

DON'T BE A STATISTIC! :)

kongzilla and tehfuzz like this.
  11. MinnesotaFTW

I'd rather get in a crash with all of my gear and live, than be on the front page of BestGore.

ATGATT.

12. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Wear a brain bucket. Either 250 would be a good beginner bike. Definitely tale a class or two and use something other than a crotch rocket for the test.

MinnesotaFTW likes this.
  13. MinnesotaFTW

I'll probably borrow a family member's dirt bike for the test. Not sure if that's allowed.

14. Adibee

Adibee Well-Known Member

Alot of great advice here, whatever you do dont get a super sports. Few years back when I was learning to ride I got a great deal on a 02 Zx6r and decided to learn on that and it sucked, I had to be very cautious and almost crapped my pants a few times. These advice here are great I am planning to get back into riding and will probably get a 650r or a 500cc.

15. MinnesotaFTW

Oh of course. I'm too in-experienced for anything above a small sport bike. I will probably keep the bike for a year or two, then upgrade to maybe a 500/600cc.

16. blackozone

All those options look good to me. MAKE SURE THEY'RE ALL COMFORTABLE TO WEAR. The fatigue of being uncomfortable will distract you and impair your riding.

Try looking into these: http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/motorcycle-denim-pants/

MinnesotaFTW likes this.
  17. clajiness

Fortunately, if you take the test during your class, you use their bikes. Not only are they great beginner bikes, you're used to them after a full weekend of training.

EricS likes this.
  18. Legsaucy

Legsaucy Well-Known Member

I think you have to be 18 to take your motorcycle test, unless that's changed? I'd recommend taking the safety course that Century College offers. You'll learn a lot, get to use their 125/250cc bikes, and you get your permit at the end of the 3 day course.

I had a ninja 500 as my first bike, and within 3 weeks upgraded to a cbr 600rr, then later to a cbr 1000rr. I'd actually recommend finding something used to start with, it's hard to re sell 250's and you'll likely damage it somehow in your first few months of riding.

Dennis Kirk has some pretty awesome deals on jackets/gloves/helmets/etc right now as well.

Good luck!

Ryan FailRad and tehfuzz like this.
  19. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

Our GS500 has been an awesome bike to "re-learn" on. The entire family took the safety course at Anoka Tech a couple of years back. Time and money very well spent. I bought most of our gear on CL.

20. xodad2

xodad2 Well-Known Member

I got my permit and started riding a suzuki m50 700cc that same day. I took it slow and cautious until I felt comfortable on the roads. Than I took the course at anoka tech, very good instructor and got endorsed at the end.
    I know your thinking about a crotchrocket, but why rush into that? Why not "cut your teeth" with a smaller bike while you learn, than upgrade after your ready.

21. MinnesotaFTW

I've been riding dual sport/dirt bikes at my cousin's farm, and they weren't my favorite. Didn't really like them, and they weren't that comfortable. Had a blast riding his Ninja 500, so that's why I'm going crotch rocket > any other.

22. tehfuzz

tehfuzz Well-Known Member

As a rider ... my advice is very similar to what most have said. Take the BRC ( basic riding course) its about 160$ and is about 15 hours of your time. one in class night and the other two will be weekend riding days. this is the easiest and best way to get your license on the spot. Plus, if you take the course and pass you will be eligible for an insurance discount as well because you have taken the course.

Gear is important. Make sure to purchase something that breathes really well and has good ventilation. On hot days like today you would be roasting in an armored jacket with no pockets for the wind to get through / be ringing out your clothes.

IMO though bud... the BRC teaches you on 250's . Sure they are fun to pep around on, but I ended up getting an 1100cc cruiser once I was done. More than enough power, but easy enough to learn and settle down in. If you still dont feel comfortable riding on the highways quite yet then do a bunch of riding on local streets and practice in empty parking lots too.

I have a HJC helmet that I bought for like 90$.

PM me if you have any other questions.

MinnesotaFTW likes this.
  23. MinnesotaFTW

So a quick question to everyone. Should I start on something a little faster? Like say, a Honda CBR600RR? Or maybe a Ninja 500/600?

24. clajiness

I think this question has already been answered. You're a big boy, and you can spend your money how you wish, but you'd be wise to listen to some experienced riders' advice. A lot of us had slow, uncool bikes the first time around, and we learned a lot about how to ride. But hey, if you're going to buy a 600cc bike, you may as well get a liter bike. :dead:

MinnesotaFTW and tehfuzz like this.
  25. MinnesotaFTW

I was originally going to buy a 250, as I figured that should be fast enough. But seeing all of your comments really makes me want to get a 600+...

26. EricS

EricS Nooberator

It's your life, but I for sure wouldn't recommend a 600 4-cylinder Super Sport bike right off the bat. Earlier you mentioned not wanting an STI because they are too powerful. Well a modern 600 SS would be like throwing someone from driver's ed into a full-blown rally car.

If you want to start on something bigger than a 250/300, I'd recommend checking out things like the Ninja 650R, SV650, GS500.

tehfuzz and MinnesotaFTW like this.
  27. EricS

EricS Nooberator

Also cb500f/cbr500r and fz-07.

Check insurance rates on everything you're looking at, some of them can be way more than others.

MinnesotaFTW likes this.
  28. Kneel Weiß

Kneel Weiß FUMP BDI Staff Member

Get a 600 or 750 to learn on. Less wasting money. Enough pep to keep your rides exciting and still "controllable".

Take a riders course and don't be a twat like other young riders and speed and weave through traffic like a bro-tard. That is the quickest way to end up on a cold steel slab.

tehfuzz and MinnesotaFTW like this.
  29. Ryan FailRad

Ryan FailRad Well-Known Member

My buddy just got a ninja fz6r or something like that. While shopping alongside him, I came to the conclusion like @Neil Wise said, don't buy a 250-300 etc.. Get a 600-650 because you'll hate the 250 after a month

tehfuzz likes this.
  30. MinnesotaFTW

Alright, I'll go with your guys' advice. Any particular 600s+ that I should look out for?

31. Ryan FailRad

Ryan FailRad Well-Known Member

You're huge aren't you?

32. Kneel Weiß

Whichever you can afford. Your first bike you shouldn't be picky.

33. MinnesotaFTW

Not exceptionally, why?

34. tangledupinblu

I had an old Yamaha FZR600 for a short while. Awesome bike, quick as hell. Looked great too! I'm sure that you could find something like that in budget for sure.

This is what it looked like...
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Vintage :)

35. MinnesotaFTW

36. tangledupinblu

37. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

In my 20s I was all set to get a bike. Then I started working with a guy who was a paraplegic. He was riding along and a pebble was thrown up by a vehicle in front of him. The pebble hit his head. It didn't do any damage itself, but startled him enough that he dumped his bike and broke his back. Now he's in a chair for life.

Just saying.

Subie Lovers likes this.
  38. xodad2

xodad2 Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to start a fight, but I know a handful of bikers who have been riding for 35+ years, and never dumped their bikes.
    Just saying

Kneel Weiß likes this.
  39. tylerm

tylerm New Member

My first bike was a 05 yamaha r6, it was a great bike and easy to ride.

I've always lived by "Its not if, but when you'll go down." at first thought it was stupid, but after riding and experiencing how stupid other drivers are I learned quick. I later ended up putting my bike down on the highway because some woman thought she could pull out of a side road and beat me. Laying down probably could have been avoided, but instead of swerving to the right lane and trying to pull a fast one, instinct to go on the brakes kicked in and it locked up the rear tire starting a slide... Just glad I didnt hit or get hit by her probably would have been worst. Always wear a helmet, no matter how bad ass the "bros" think they are that wear beaters/shorts/flip flops etc. The Dr told me mine saved my life with how hard my head bounced off the pavement. Id much rather wear safe gear, then think I look cool, having road rash for life doesnt look cool and probably wont get you laid.

I bought my Scorpion helmet at tousley motorsports in White bear lake and love it. Go check out locally for gear and get some sizes and test fits is what i'd do than if you find a better deal online you know what size was best, or maybe locally has the best deal/will price match.

Good luck with your search! Just wanted to share my .02 with you.

40. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

I'm not interested in starting a fight either, lol. Everybody has their own decision to make in life. Just sharing a personal experience that changed my mind hoping it may make the OP think a bit.

When I was buying a helmet at Bob's cycle (when I was getting ready for bike ownership. I ended up returning it once I decided not to to buy a bike), the sales guy told me a story about a woman who was a passenger on a bike. Driver dumped it. She was wearing a helmet, but only a t-shirt. Short story, the helmet saved her chin and face as she slid on her front, but the t-shirt didn't save...other things. The guy said it was a real shame as she had been nicely endowed before the accident.

xodad2 likes this.
  41. MinnesotaFTW

Honestly, I think wearing gear makes you look like a bad ass.

Thanks for the advice :)

42. MinnesotaFTW

I'm actually considering it! If he can keep it up for a month or so, I'll go down and check it out.

43. clajiness

article-2212529-1555EA89000005DC-640_634x406.jpg

Jerf, tehfuzz, xodad2 and 2 others like this.
  44. Kneel Weiß

Here's the thing. Riding a motorcycle you need to be able to make literal split second decisions. Plus, usually, hard braking is a no no. You must accelerate to save yourself.

tehfuzz and xodad2 like this.
  45. MinnesotaFTW

So if someone was going to hit me, I would try and accelerate around them?