Soon to be a first time motorcycle owner... Need some advice.

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by MinnesotaFTW, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Kneel Weiß

Kneel Weiß FUMP BDI Staff Member

Situation dictates. Either way, hard braking on a motorcycle is not a good thing

tehfuzz, xodad2 and MinnesotaFTW like this.
  2. EricS

EricS Nooberator

While we're on a cheery subject, dont forget to at least consider registering for organ donation when you add the motorcycle endorsement to your license.

3. Jason Simonovich

Jason Simonovich Member

honestly i think you should buy a bigger bike right away cuz you'll get used to the 250's and want something bigger right away. if you have brains and wear your gear youll be fine. but if you do stick to the 250's get the cbr it has efi

blueroo and tehfuzz like this.
  4. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Everyone should be an organ donor anyways. Why not?

5. STI_guy

STI_guy Well-Known Member

The 3 day course is a good idea at HTC. Cost some about 160 and they give you a bike to ride plus you can get it licenses at the end if you pass the test. I have a 2010 ninja 250 its fun and nimble.

6. Volatle

Volatle Well-Known Member

Get a motard as you're first bike. Pretty easy to learn on and isn't as heavy as a street bike. If it falls it falls. Haha.

Ryan FailRad likes this.
  7. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Your*

tehfuzz and Kneel Weiß like this.
  8. mike4king

mike4king Member

Of all the misinformation and things I don't agree with in this thread, this is probably #1.

Hard braking on a motorcycle is not a bad thing. Not only is emergency braking one of the testing requirements to get your motorcycle endorsement, it's just stupid to tell someone that you can never brake hard on a motorcycle. It's definitely something that you need to learn how to do correctly and practice somewhat often, but it's not a bad thing to do. On top of emergency braking being a testing requirement, so is emergency swerving (see pages 54-57 in https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/forms-documents/Documents/MotorcycleManual.pdf ).

I've been riding motorcycles for 8 years now, and used to average 10-12k miles/year. I probably have around a total of 70k-ish miles between 5 main bikes that I've owned and several others that I've ridden, and I have yet to crash a bike (although I've done a lot of "spirited riding" and track days). Learning to ride a motorcycle is about learning to correct your natural instincts (like people that slam their foot down on the rear brake if they're in a sticky situation).

blackozone, tehfuzz and clajiness like this.
  9. Kneel Weiß

You bring up good points, that's fine. I too have been riding 8 years, and have put on at least 30k miles between 2 motorcycles. I too have also taken the test and done hard braking. Yes it's a requirement, however, in my experiences of dealing with hoomans I have found that aggressively reading the road and assessing the situation to prevent from possible loss of control is a far greater skill then simply smashing the brakes.

I have never put down a bike, but I have gone off-road when a sliding motorcycle took me into the grass.

I was trying to keep things simple for a new rider of which I have never met in person. Should he desire one on one tips fine,he can PM me. The intention is not to scare or be an idiot, which appearantly it seems like. But given my time spent on the road, my .02 is to pay attention and rely on hard braking. Avoid the situation in the first place and the bike never needs to be laid down.

So there's that.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  10. Kneel Weiß

Secondly, I am dubious of him actually buying a bike (sorry guy) since he joined a car forum and talked about buying a Subaru for 6 months. Now he says a bike and still doesn't have car. Sooooo, not really holding my breath.

11. xZombie

xZombie Member

My first bike was '94 Ninja 250 and that was an awesome bike to start on. If you've never been on a motorcycle before, that 250 is going to feel really fast. I rode that for almost 4 years before i upgraded to a Suzuki SV650. You can learn a lot on a smaller displacement bike and they're much more forgiving then a 600cc Sport Bike that has 3x 4x the power. Yes, passing people on the interstate was a bit of an experience, but straight road aren't fun on motorcycles anyways.

EricS, tehfuzz and Kneel Weiß like this.
  12. EricS

EricS Nooberator

And the newer 300's have a decent bump in hp/torque compared to your Ninja 250, so interstate passing shouldn't be quite as exciting...
    http://www.therideadvice.com/yamaha...00-vs-honda-cbr300r-specification-comparison/

13. MinnesotaFTW

MinnesotaFTW Well-Known Member

I joined a car forum to talk about cars with other car owners. Doesn't mean I need to own, or want a car.

Yes, I did want a Subaru, but at this time, I am neither old enough for a car, nor do I have the will to buy a car. They're too expensive for a to-be 16 year old to afford. Whilst bikes are still fairly expensive, they're a fraction less than a car, and I'd rather put the money I saved from buying a bike into a savings account for college. Rather than spending it all on a WRX.

I honestly don't mind if you guys don't think I'm buying a bike. I'm not here to make you guys believe me, I'm here to ask for advice. Even if I didn't buy a bike, people can still look at this thread for future references.

my97gt likes this.
  14. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Wait. You're 15 years old, have never owned a car and you want to buy a motorcycle?

Close the thread. It's impossible to have an intelligent discussion.

15. tehfuzz

tehfuzz Well-Known Member

second the notion to close this thread.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  16. Kneel Weiß

That one. Right there. That's what I was getting at.

tehfuzz likes this.
  17. xZombie

xZombie Member

18. LeSubieRêver

LeSubieRêver Member

I don't know much about bike since I've never driven one but from an outside perspective on things in general through all your threads so far, learn who Vaporsti is. When you ask for advice from people, listen to them and don't start throwing out other crazy ideas. Just because you think you can handle something faster, it best to work your way up (not sure if a real fast bike is even being discussed).

I got a buddy who go into two wrecks with his bikes, both total. I don't remember what happened in the first wreck but he landed on his left hand and broked his bone piercing through the skin from the elbow area all the way down. He's got a huge scar to remind him everyday. A truck cut him off during his second wreck throwing him into the truck bed. Luckily no serious injury because of his gear but he said had he not had them he could of been seriously injured due to how he landed.

19. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

I think I violate my probation if I am having online conversations with 15 year old boys, so I will be no help on this topic.

20. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

Don't worry, your probation officer has been notified of your online activities and will likely be making contact with you shortly via your local SWAT team.

Kneel Weiß likes this.
  21. stirunner

stirunner Active Member

15 years old and you want a bike. My advice don't do it. I've been riding for 10 years and own a 03 zx6rr and a 14' bolt r-spec because i love to ride. Most young kids want a bike to be cool. I was asked to sell my rocket to a 16 year old and i said i don't want to be responsible for him hurting himself on a bike i sold him plus i didn't want the bike i took care of for years to be ruined from being cool.

22. glen

glen Well-Known Member

Get a 50cc moped, you only have to be 15 to get a permit. I have a modified SR50 that that will do 50+

23. derp

derp Well-Known Member

I think moped is the best idea so far. We should all get mopeds and start an international crime fighting organization

Adibee, EricS, 02_Rexxxy and 2 others like this.
  24. Ryan FailRad

Ryan FailRad Well-Known Member

25. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

tehfuzz and Ryan FailRad like this.
  26. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

tangledupinblu and tehfuzz like this.
  27. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

I find this meme disturbing.

Ryan FailRad likes this.
  28. Silky21L

Silky21L Well-Known Member

You can't judge bikes based on cc's alone.
    Cbr250r-23hp
    Sv650-73hp
    Cbr600rr-100hp
    Cbr1000rr-your not marq marquez, these bikes are way to much for the street imo. They are around 172hp, 1st gear pulls to 80mph and it's a 6 speed. Bone stock they do a 1/4 mile in 9.8 seconds, that's 0-the back of that minivan before you know it.
    Anyways now that my rant is over I'll give some advice. I've been racing motorcycles since I was 5 years old and been professionally racing since the end of 2011. I'm unquestionably confident in my abilities to ride a motorcycle, and the public roads scare the living **** out of me. I know 3 people that have died riding motorcycles on the road since may, and they all had a lot more experience than you. If I was you I would buy a zuma or a ruckus and ride that thing around town until you have experience. They get 100+mpg and are super fun the goof around on. Plus they will smoke all the big bikes in a race if you race them in a parking lot. The first priority with gear is a helmet. A nice one. Don't get a single piece of gear until you have a helmet that will keep your noggin from splitting open. They are really expensive, but dying is no fun so it's worth it. Get an Arai, Bell, or Shoei. "Dot" and "snell" approved don't mean jack. These helmets are rated much higher than others for impact testing. Best of luck to you, stay alive.

tangledupinblu and Kneel Weiß like this.
  29. Silky21L

30. mike4king

mike4king Member

Whoaa, settle down there Chachi. What do you ride/race and how many miles do you have on the street?

I have around 70k street miles since 2007, 90% of which are on "ridiculously-fast crotch-rockets". Yes, the street can be dangerous, but as long as you stay aware of what's going on around you and don't ride like a dipsh!t, it's not that bad. I'll admit, I have a heightened awareness and ride very defensively on the street, but that should be an absolute necessity for any kind of motorcycle/scooter/bicycle/etc. when you're around cars and their cell-phone holding drivers. There are classes/track schools around the Twin Cities for learning more about how to handle the power and potential of a motorcycle, and the more comfortable you are on your motorcycle (which inevitably takes time), the more easily you can avoid dangerous situations happening around you.

Gear is obviously important. I wear my helmet & armored gloves 100% of the time and my armored jacket 98% of the time, as well as putting on armored motorcycle boots if I'm planning on doing any "spirited" riding.

I've done ~8 track days on motorcycles, and even if I do eventually get into racing, I will NEVER stop riding street until I am no longer physically able to.

Silky21L likes this.
  31. Silky21L

Hey mike, I do all sorts of riding. I hold a pro license in ama flat track and ICE indoor ice racing. Although I ride hare scrambles, moto, ice, trials, supermoto, and street.
    2009 crf450r, very built, main race bike
    2012 crf450r, very built, back up bike
    2010 yz450f, intake/exhaust/tune, moto
    2014 honda Grom, street (mainly, lol)

Since 2012, I only have 3,000 miles on the street, mainly on the grom with a hundred or so on an sv650 and a BMW 1200rt. I am discouraging the OP from buying a bike, I am just recommending he gets a few miles under his belt before he buys a bike capable of highway speeds. Keep in mind he is 15 and has had nearly no experience on the street in a car or on a bike. Plus than he will have a scooter to rip around town and pick up chicks.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  32. Ryan FailRad

Ryan FailRad Well-Known Member

This was my buddy on Monday on his 2015 cbr600rr with 1800 miles on it.. Don't fall
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    There's more pictures but they are pretty graphic. He is lucky to have walked away from the crash..

Attached Files:

33. mike4king

mike4king Member

I get that, and wouldn't argue with a law limiting the cc's for those under 18. I just don't want your blanket statements to scare everyone else away form motorcycling. By far the best stress reliever I've ever had in my life.

(and I think your concept of "buy scooter, get chicks" is a little off. Yes I know how much fun something like a Grom can be, but good luck convincing most women of that :p )

34. tangledupinblu

Like Subarus!

Silky21L likes this.
  35. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

So, since this thread is getting the most motorcycle attention I will pile on with a question. 3 years ago we bought a 99 GS500 thats been terrific and still ride it today. My son and I are wanting bigger and quicker for better highway trips. We have grown particularly fond of the looks, ergonomics and performance of 01-05 FZ1's from what we have read and seen. We are wanting a sport tourer for possible day trips at the most. (I've yet to ride one) Comments?

36. smoothgangsta

smoothgangsta Well-Known Member

Try to do things in stages -

1. Buy yourself a nice helmet that is comfortable, light and well vented, and offers excellent peripheral view, it should feel like second skin on your head. The same goes for a nice armored leather jacket, gloves, and riding boots.
    2. Take the MSF course, and get your license through them, then get some riding under your belt with an older used 250 or 500 for a year.
    3. The following year, take the MSF or other Intermediate class and ride a year while refining those skills.
    4. The next year, after you have a couple of years under your belt step up to a nicer, but used 600.

BTW, don't skimp on your gear, you could easily be well over $1000-1500 in just gear alone. Honestly, there is a lot of GRAY area in the discussion, some people are intelligent but exercise no WISDOM or judgement with what they have learned, age and experience adds wisdom and discernment on what you should or should not be doing on a motorcycle and where your limits are at. I don't know you personally, so it's hard just from a few posts of yours to get an idea of the type of rider you will be.

People can hand out all the advice in the world, and impart wisdom from their experience, but it means nothing if you are not going to heed or exercise good judgement.

Few parting words of wisdom -

1. Once you start riding find a group of responsible riders to go riding with that actually know you and care about making sure your life as well as theirs is taken care of when riding. Don't ride with a bunch of irresponsible people.
    2. ATGATT (all the gear, all the time), regardless!
    3. If at any point in your day you want to go riding but don't feel like you are 100% able, don't get on a motorcycle and ride! There have been many days when I wake up and want to ride, but know that I am not 100% mentally there because I am having an off day. I don't know how to explain it any other way.
    4. Don't relieve EXCESSIVE stress through your motorcycle by going out on a ride! If you are that angry, go run or bike a few miles, or hit the bag if you need to take your anger out. You don't do it while on the road or by twisting the wrist to relieve that type of stress, that's just plain stupid.
    5. If you absolutely need to be with your motorcycle but aren't of sound mind to ride or physically able or because you are tired, then go grab a wash bucket and some detailing supplies, and some chain wax, and do some cleaning, detailing, and general maintenance of your motorcycle if you need to spend time with it. It's good bonding time! :)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  37. smoothgangsta

I have had a few friends that have owned some of the older FZ-1's, and all of them liked them very much. Great ergonomics, plus the engine is right from the R1 albeit de-tuned a bit. Would be a great 1/2 naked sport tourer to own. Don't think you would be disappointed at all!

38. smoothgangsta

Again, another gray area, we don't know if a rider has 5 or 10 years of riding under their belt before they are 18. There are a lot of younger kids that start riding dirt bikes as young as 3,4,5 years of age and have been on 2 wheels or doing motorcross for longer than some adults who are just getting their first street bike or have been riding for a few years. Many of those kids know how to ride. I have had a lot of friends that had that much time riding dirt bikes before they bought a street bike, so they already understood the mechanics of riding already at many different speeds, albeit on the track or trail, plus they use full gear already when riding and understand the safety and respect aspect.

We already have enough Government intervention into our lives, we don't need more! People need to step back from controlling everyone's life and let those people understand the repercussion and consequences of their mistakes. We need to start having people take a level of personal responsibility for themselves, and if they choose to be a part of the Darwin awards, or end up a vegetable because they don't wear a helmet then that is the chance they take, I don't want the Government federally mandating anything.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    Silky21L likes this.
  39. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

This rider has been riding since 1984 and owns all the right gear. My son is in his 20's and been riding for 3+ years very responsibly. Both have been thru the MSF course. Looking for feedback on the motorcycle itself...which you gave. thank you!

40. blueroo

blueroo Member

You'll outgrow the 250 street bike really quickly. As mentioned earlier, SV650 -- you can net one for $2500-3000 with EFI (post 2003 models). I have it and love it. It's main weakness is suspension, but that's more of a "I've driven this enough to finally understand the limitations" thing. People love to track them, parts are plenty, although the community for them has waned a bit.

I had a friend that started with a 300 Ninja, after 9 months of research, and ignoring 9 months of advice...he bought it. Then 2 months later, he took a $1000 loss on the sale over what he paid and ended up getting a DL650 Vstrom to replace it.

Subjective advice....but that's where you're here...right?

41. smoothgangsta

An older SV650 is a nice motorcycle to start with, would be an excellent bike to do track days or do some advanced riding courses at DCTC (Dakota County Technical College).

42. STI_Adam

STI_Adam Member

I agree with the others that a 250 would be a poor investment. Buy a bike you won't outgrow your first year of riding, and that has enough power to accelerate quickly and stay out of people's way unless you never intend to ride it on the highway. Buy an SV650 or something similar. Anything in the 600cc range with a V-twin motor is what you want as a starter bike IMO. Much smoother power available throughout the RPM range. I prefer the 4-cylinders as an experienced rider, but they tend to have a much wilder power band that can really surprise you when you hit it. If you get too far into the throttle and hit the power band while turning especially, you can take too much weight off the front wheel and launch it right off the road. Or low side it if you lose traction.

Scorpion helmets are really nice for the money, to me they fit similar to more expensive ones like an Arai. I haven't looked at gear for a long time, but for me AlpineStars jackets fit nicely as someone who is taller and fairly thin. You don't want anything that fits baggy, and you don't want a helmet that is too big.

I bought my first street bike when I was 16, but I grew up riding dirt bikes too. It was a Kawi Spectre 750. Then I bought a YZF-R1 when I was in my early 20s, which was awesome but I rode way beyond my ability, crashed once, and was extremely lucky it was only once looking back. Now I have a V-Rod but I kick myself for selling the R1.

43. Ridgerunr

Ridgerunr New Member

Like others have said, take a approved safety course, it should also be good for a discount on your insurance...

44. Shabbaru

Shabbaru Active Member

My first street bike was a 600. Wasn't a problem learning to ride on the street with it. A lot of people say a 250 is the right choice for a first bike and it can be, but I did not want a 250 haha.

If you are smart, careful, and respectful of the bike you could start on a 600.

45. tangledupinblu

I started on a 600 and had no issues with it. But i had a fear/respect for motorcycles that kept me sane every time that I geared up for a ride...and I ALWAYS geared up!!

Jason Simonovich likes this.