Spare key for your wrx or impreza

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by FlawlessFrontEnds&Tint, Jul 1, 2013.

1. FlawlessFrontEnds&Tint

FlawlessFrontEnds&Tint Vendor

I found out the hard way, that a replacement key from Subaru is $140 plus programming($60). That does not include the FOB.---> (bought one on ebay). They are nice people at Subaru, and did their job well. However, there is an alternative. I found that the True Value Hardware in Prior Lake can duplicate your existing key, transponder and all. First they put your key into a transponder reader. Then he told me he could duplicate it IF he had a blank key. After some looking, he found one. One. He told me $79 plus tax. I'm sure he could order another or will likely get some more keys in stock. Also, there may be more True Value Hardwares and others that can duplicate the key. I see on Ebay, they also have keys you could buy, but the transponder MUST be programmable, not necessarily the FOB. It looks like you may be able to buy the FOB all in one key that might work, not sure tough.

I had one made at True Value and it WORKS! 2013 WRX. $80!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  2. Frogy

Frogy Well-Known Member

Isn't there a way to program a new key if you have 2 other keys? My 12 jeep is like that, with two existing keys I can (and have) program a third?

3. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

Hmmmm... that makes a new "flip key" much more doable for me...

Wasn't there something about all the keys have to be present to be paired with the car though? Does this sidestep that requirement by "cloning" a key?

4. FlawlessFrontEnds&Tint

Ya today, Subaru, programmed a 3rd, but they have a computer/machine to program the ECU and also have to login to Subaru's website with a tech's login to access that ability; and I think they just reprogram the computer and ALL existing keys must be present at reprogram time. It completely eliminates any aftermarket reprograms. But, the good news is, True Value has a machine that will mimic your key and the computer doesn't know the difference.

5. Threshld1

Threshld1 Well-Known Member

I was under the impression their keys and FOB's come at a set frequency (RFID chip?) and the body integrated module of the car needs to be programmed to the keys. I don't think the keys can be programmed? The few new keys I've seen come with a tag containing that code which would need to be programmed into the BIM
    For instance I got a newer FOB which normally requires the dealer to program. You can't use the old easy flip key so many times and press a button on the FOB. There is an 8 digit code inside the FOB and through a tedious sequence of key cycling, pressing lock and unlock on the car, standing on your head, and clapping 3 times you can enter that code into the BIM manually. I have not heard of a way to program the BIM with a new key code without a Subaru Select Monitor. Usually meaning an hour of labor cost at the dealer for a 5 minute process? I would love to find out I am wrong about this though, the newer all in one keys are much better than the stupid teardrop FOB. I just don't want to pay near the cost of the key to make it work

6. FlawlessFrontEnds&Tint

They did it today. Programable keys that clone yours. I was under the same impression talking to Subaru. It is not true what Subaru wants you to believe. Yes there is a transponder key, yes the OEM key is a set code. yes your car can learm a new code, but TVhardware can program a clone key of one you use already. FACT.

SUBARU would like $200 for every new key, but if you have one already, clone it.

7. FlawlessFrontEnds&Tint

I was gonna take a registered key for the car and put it behind the dash, then use any key I wanted, programmed or not. But TVH cloned mine.

8. FlawlessFrontEnds&Tint

The sequence of key turns, door opens and lock/unlock is different than the key program. That, is for the FOB programming...what you are thinking of. I did that with my ebay FOB.

9. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I think at the dealer there are also shrunken heads and voodoo chants involved too...that's why the higher price.

10. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

Could explain $70 TPMS resets as well.

11. Ntxhuav_Khang

Ntxhuav_Khang Well-Known Member

So you're saying you bought a blank key w transponder off eBay and had tru value program it?

12. FlawlessFrontEnds&Tint

No not alt all. True value has blank keys that have programmable transponders. They find what your key has for a code, and make the blank key send the signal you have that already works. Then they "cut" the metal part of the key so it will turn in the ignition.

The FOB or alarm/door locker remote is separate.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  13. J.Rex

J.Rex Well-Known Member

I would have thought the key immobilizer chip would have a rolling code just like your key fob has, where it sends a code, then rolls to the next and then the next, the ECU knows the sequence of codes so it knows what should be next. This prevents somebody from listening to what your fob sent and then sending it again to gain unauthorized access to someone's car along with cloning fobs. Interesting the keys don't do that, that means all you need to do is get close to somebodies' key with a reader, then pick the lock of their car and re transmit what the key sends and you have a new car!

I like my 07 2.5i, no immobilizer, spare keys are $1.50 at any good hardware store.

14. FlawlessFrontEnds&Tint

Ya, my '03 is much simpler...