Spare Key

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by silver03, Dec 8, 2020.

1. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

My father in law is 90 with a 2012 Outback. He is looking for a spot to hide an extra key on the car. Crawling underneath is not an option. Ideas?

2. euro

euro Well-Known Member

The best anwser is he doesn't. There's no reasonable spot he could hide a key a randon person couldn't just walk up and take the car...

3. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

One in the right pocket...one in the left pocket?:D

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  4. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

He must have a kid that is retired by now. That is the back-up key...calling them.

He wears the second key on a chain around his neck, like a "help, I've fallen and can't get up" button.

5. silver03

I'm really interested in an on the car solution...if they exist.

6. euro

euro Well-Known Member

Problem is he cant get down low enough to hide a magnetic key box and he wants to do something that has been insecure for at least 50 years.

I honestly (I had to convince my 94 year old great grandfather years back) think you need to talk him out of it. And just give a local family member a spare or get a good towing policy. At 90 years old i hate to say it, his driving days are numbered anyways

7. pillboy

Is the fuel door still locked and opened by a lever on the floor in Subarus of that vintage? Or do you press on the flap on the outside and the door pops open? I seriously doubt a lot of people would look inside a fuel door for a spare key. At 90 years old I'm sure he is just out running errands during the day and the car doesn't sit anywhere not garaged for any length of time.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  8. pillboy

Is he worried about losing the key or locking it in the car?

I thought most newer cars won't let the doors lock if it detects the key inside the car.

9. silver03

His concern is locking them in the car. I'll check into the fuel door next time he is in town. Or see if there is a flat fobless key available for his wallet. Thanks for the brainstorming. Side note-this man is truly remarkable as he still: works constructing crowns/bridges for dental offices (retired dentist), owns a very active PITA dog, deer hunts (field dresses and skins) and fishes, lives in his own home, has a huge vegetable garden...the list goes on.

tangledupinblu and Cotts612 like this.
  10. Todd

Todd The Originator Staff Member

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  11. Todd

Todd The Originator Staff Member

The bottom side of the wiper arm (black tape wrapped)?

silver03 likes this.
  12. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

I was actually thinking of something similar but using the roof rack bars (if equipped).

silver03 likes this.
  13. silver03

No receiver hitch. The wiper arm and roof rack are definitely getting investigated. Thank you

14. pillboy

I used to carry one of these for years for a Ford. I'm not sure if they are made anymore and if they are, do they even make a Subaru version. Might try a locksmith store.

imageMain_0_25.jpg

silver03 likes this.
  15. loxx0050

loxx0050 Well-Known Member

It might cost a bit but maybe look into an aftermarket security system that has connectivity to operate with an smartphone. Better than hiding a extra key and then he's got a remote start now for the winter months.

Or alternatively is he able to at least crouch down low enough to get it from behind the front license plate? Glue some rare earth magnets or something on the back and put one of those key magnetic boxes (to ensure it stays when driving). Since half of that backside of that plate has real estate due to the cavity for the radiator air flow.

I do use one of those magnetic key boxes when I do a certain bicycle race and don't have pockets to spare (or room in my emergency kit bag). In the past I put the key in my black sunglasses pouch and hid it under my front windshield driver's side wiper blade...but that was just temporary and no way I'd drive off with a key there. It'd be gone in a flash.

silver03 likes this.