Stock STi vs. Modified WRX

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by wings_23, Mar 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wings_23

wings_23 New Member

I have always wondered why someone would buy a WRX and spend alot of money adding extras when you could buy a STi and get almost the same thing. The price difference at the dealer is obvious, but do some people still buy a WRX thinking its,thereis more bragging getting a WRX to 300 HP( crank), than instant gratification. I found this article where they had pro car tuners take a stock WRX against a stock STi, it doesnt really say how much more monet they spent upgrading, but just a couple of the upgrades they mention I think would take the price above a STi sticker price. I am not putting anyone down I was just wondering

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/roadtests/0308scc_tuned_subaru_wrx_vs_sti/.

2. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

as long as the wrx is 06+ w/2.5 liter ide buy the wrx, but i still heart sti's and the 6 speed

3. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Because 6 years ago there wasn't a STI. Now I like my wrx, and I like having a built 4eat tranny. But I like to build and work on stuff, so to upgrade a wrx to sti reformance is part of having fun.

Russ

4. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Also, keep in mind, you can find STi suspension bits for not alot of money on eBay, I've seen them go for as low as 375. A stage2 WRX is going to be as fast if not slightly faster than a stock STi. If you aren't a brand whore, you can pick up an uppipe/turboback for under 1000. Then with OpenECU, you can have someone flash the Cobb Stage2 map to your ECU. Better pads and lines to get the braking more up to par will run you around 250. The biggest one would be wheels and tires, but you can get a set of STi tires used for around 200 bucks on Nasioc and a set of Rota 17x7.5 wheels for around 550-600. At the top end of the scale you are talking about an investment of 2500 bucks to play a decent game of cat and mouse with a stock STi.

And some people enjoy the modding portion of owning a car. I wouldn't buy an STi and I've sunk the equivalent of a new STi into my car as mods. I don't like the wing, I don't like the short gearing of the 6speed. Yeah, it's got a beefy 2.5L and AVCS and the brembos, but I'd rather be an underdog.

Plus, sometimes you come across one of those STi owners with the "JoeGengsta" mindset that WRX's are crap, the STi is the only car to own. SO when you show them up, it is far more devastating to their ego.

5. zapman

zapman Well-Known Member

buy a wrx, mod it slightly to "sti" performance lvls, save your money for a couple years, strip-it and trade it in for a sti, put parts on sti, smile.

6. readymix

Also a great idea. Nearly all bolt on mods for a WRX will fit an STi.

7. bummpy

bummpy New Member

It's almost a bit of a silly question.

I bought a wrx because I can't afford an sti. Pretty simple huh?

And even if (guessing on the high side) I were to put $4000 total into what I want to do with the car, that'd be spread over the course of two three years when I have some spare change.

That's before even talking about the cost of insurance.

I don't know what the rest of you guys do for a living, but I sure as hell can't afford to spend the kind of money it takes to own an sti or build a heavily modded wrx and still be on task for retirement and world travel plans.

8. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

$.99 menu from McDs and Wendy's is what I buy :yumyum:

9. readymix

I sell my ass on university ave after hours. That's all mod money.

10. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

and a nice azz it is...:puke:

11. readymix

If you don't like it, quit coming back and paying for it, sweetpants.

12. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

LOL...shhhhh I thought that was our....since fong and nate aren't here as much

13. readymix

Fong and Nate are away on their honeymoon in Austrailia

14. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

personally i dont quite see how underdog and EJ22T work together.

now what i dont get is for the new sticker price of a WRX or STi you could have a GC w/ a STi swap complete out the door. why dont more people do this? cheaper insurance, fast car, nicer looks... swap FTW.

15. readymix

I'm the underdog because 90% of the kids out there are going to say "Look, a WRX, he should have bought an STi." Then they see me walk all over 99% of the STis around here and they go "wow." And you can't look at my car driving down teh street and say, "He has a closed deck Ej22T shortblock with a bunch of forged bits and head components and a giant rotated bb turbo in there."

16. mlgez

mlgez Well-Known Member

^^^ right... if I knew what I know now I would have waited for the 06 WRX and spent the difference on mods. I am very happy with my STi though.

17. shineynitelite

shineynitelite Well-Known Member

i lost to a stage 1 sti today many times, sad

18. Iroc-Z

Iroc-Z Well-Known Member

I have a sti turbo and exhaust and I would say my car is right there with a stage two sti.

19. AWDimprezaL

AND AN ORE

20. wings_23

wings_23 New Member

Im not saying, Im just saying. If I had alot of cash laying around I would probally have bought a brand new WRX and put 10,000 into instead of of 17,000 mile used STi.

21. ImprezaWrx9

ImprezaWrx9 Well-Known Member

+1 I bought my 03 wrx then 4 months later the STi came out. Didn't know anything about it till it came out. Plus, i needed a car then. but i'm glad i didn't get the STi i love my wrx.

22. bummpy

bummpy New Member

My other car is a zc swaped crx. And let me tell you, there's nothing like using your keyless entry to unlock your doors, putting the key in the ignition, and starting her up and every thing JUST WORKS. No loose coolent hose, no rattley hatch, no ripped appolstrey, and no startup check list. Drives smooth, stereo works... you get the idea.

To be frank, I'm just done dealing with all that crap.

But as a project car... sure.

23. TrisNiN

TrisNiN Well-Known Member

Because I have kids and wanted a wagon... Reason enough...

24. bummpy

bummpy New Member

Oh yeah, and that too.

They don't make sti wagon (yet I hope).

Wagon FTW!

25. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

+1 (stupid min character requirement).

26. jtoy

jtoy Well-Known Member

Is the 2.5l wrx long block identical to the sti's? If so, those cars are a steal, assuming the other drive train bits hold up to sti types of mods.

my $.02: I didn't buy an sti to compete with others. I bought it to add to the level of fun I get from life. I still can't believe how great a car it is for that purpose. There are lots of faster cars on the road, it doesn't detract from my enjoyment. Judging someone based on their car choice is really an odd thing to do imo.

27. readymix

It is the same shortblock, not sure about the heads, but I'm sure they are very similar. With a VF39 and an STi topmount you can easily make STi power.

28. zapman

zapman Well-Known Member

I bought my sti and traded in my wrx for several reason. The main reason is that i planned on owning the car for a long time and eventually modifying it too ~500 hp and having the peice of mind that i didn't have to build the block or transmission to do it was what made me chose a sti.

one thing that often isn't included when people compare the prices to make a wrx to compete with a sti is the price of labor and tools to complete the modifications. Some people are lucky and have the tools and know how, but alot of noobs (not referring to anyone here) see how cheaply the part can be had and forget about the cost of doign it.

cheapest way to beat an sti is too learn how to launch well/amazingly and you will be good to about 80 or so in a pretty stock wrx.

29. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

If you look at it from my perspective, I bought my car 6 years ago for $3800. I could have bought a rex two years ago, but insurance for a 23 y/old with two tickets said otherwise. Instead I researched, saved, sourced parts, so on and so forth, untill my car is where it is. Granted its not as nice as a newer car. It rattles, has rust (for now) and looks dated.

But it does drive like a Subaru, has a strong gearbox, and will eat most cars for breakfast. And still slip under most people's (and cops) radar.

30. wings_23

wings_23 New Member

Sorry:eek3:

31. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

For me? Nonononononono. After looking into a WRX, I said screw that, and decided to be one of the few people to go nuts on an old Legacy. Now, I wouldn't have it any other way.;)

32. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

well in my mind i always think of the underdog as the one who is most likely to loose. in which case this is the STI not you. you may look like a homely wrx (except for hood vent, FMIC, Sparco interior ect...) but you sure arnt going to sound like the underdog when that 35r spools on those 272 cams.

I get what you saying. but if you think about it for $15k you can have a complete STi swap done by a reputable shop. this includes everything engine, 6spd, brembos, interior ect... and you have the same reliability as if you bought a new car. $15k Swap + $3k Impreza L = ROAD DOMINATION (faster, cooler, cheaper ins, and still $14k cheaper than a new STI)

33. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

STi > WRX (any year)

/thread

:hsugh: :biggrin:

34. AWDimprezaL

does the 22B count?

35. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

Since im not a fan of the 22B (eeeek, did I just say that? :ugh: ) no it doesnt, us spec plz kthnx.

36. AWDimprezaL

you are an idiot

37. readymix

Meet me at the playground after class...and by class I mean after I get tuned in May.

38. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

LOL

Silly you. You can't just come up to the big dawg and expect me to waste my gas. You have to work up the ladder young man. Start with some of the 5.0 slow's and maybe a few mitsu's that I put away last summer, then we can talk. :) ;)

39. readymix

When a bigger dog comes along, he doesn't bother with the little dogs, he goes straight for the alpha male. No sense in wasting MY gas on the 5.slows and Mitsus when we will be more evenly matched.

40. wall of tvs

wall of tvs Well-Known Member

Dude, you better hope I don't get a big turbo on my wagon this fall......:laugh:

41. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

:eek3: ------------------oh sn4ppl3!!-------------------:eek3:

42. wall of tvs

wall of tvs Well-Known Member

oh, and the whole wrx/sti argument is freaking retarded, especially when somebody chimes in about how they can build a faster car for less money. you can build a ****box civic for super cheap -- but you gotta remember that you can't polish a turd.

live and let live, I say

43. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

I like being able to throw 4 tires in back, or a mountain bike or two or a dog kennel or any number of things, and you just don't get that kind of flexibility with an STI. In other words, for me it's a wagon FTW.

44. WagonsRock

WagonsRock Well-Known Member

That's awesome ha ha. I agree.

Who wants to drive around a subaru justy with 25,000 dollars in mods? .... that actually sounds pretty cool, haha.

45. badbennyb

badbennyb Has no title

I'm so happy with our STi we originally bought for my wife with no plans to modify it as it was gonna be her daily driver and then she let taught me how to drive it(yes really) and since then it has been mine:) money wasn't a big concern so we honestly never looked at the WRX. It is now a basic stg 2 car with with a few exterior mods and I couldn't be more happy this to me is almost the ultimate daily driver. We have been discussing the possble purchase of a WRX wagon so maybe next year I will have more of an opinion on the WRX.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.