Stopping Problems

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Klesk, Oct 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Klesk

Klesk Well-Known Member

I got problems. When I try to stop, I hit the brakes and my car starts to vibrate. I don't know whether my rear drums or front discs are the problem. Its kind of an on and off deal. Sometimes the vibrating is really violant and other times it's smooth. I don't feel feedback in the brake pedal when it vibrates. What could the problem be?

thanks alot

2. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

Normally when the car vibrates when pressure is applied to the brake pedal (especially when you're standing on your brake pedal to stop), it is due to worn rotors. Have these replaced with strong, durable rotors.

The coming and going of brake torque when you're driving may also be that your brake fluid is very old and has air in the lines. After a while of stop and go driving, the brakes get very hot and may be boiling your brake fluid in the lines. You're brakes should be bled when you have your rotors changed as well.

From what I know, you'll get a bad grinding from the brakes only when you're out of brake pad material. It's better to check the drums for wear now since you'll be bleeding the whole brake system.

3. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

Sometimes its the torque spec's of how tight your lug nuts are tightened, and check your tire pressure. Wouldn't hurt to have your wheels checkedout for balance. I know that Tiresplus checks them out for free.

C

4. Klesk

Klesk Well-Known Member

I dont think it's my brake fluid but yeah, I'm thinking about a drum to rotor swap so I'll check it out. I hardly ever use my brakes, only when I need to make a complete stop. N ot to many stop lights buy my house. Thanks again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.