Struggling to fill the tank...

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by JuStaWRX, Oct 4, 2018.

1. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

Hello!

On the adventure of keeping the '02 WRX wagon alive and well, we've run in to a strange issue. It has become difficult to smoothly fill the gas tank of the WRX. I've tried with multiple stations, but it will not let me fill the gas with the handle much more than 10-20% pressure. Is this a sensor issue? A physical-tank-issue?

Thanks in advance for any ideas of where to go next!
    [​IMG]

2. subie-roo

subie-roo Well-Known Member

This happened on my 2001 RS. Your evap system is clogged, swap your charcoal canister and you should be good.

JuStaWRX likes this.
  3. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Mine has done this several times. There's a little vent valve solenoid thing that has gone bad a few times. It's in the evap system and is right next to the charcoal canister under the rear end. Right rear corner. Check that out and see what you find. Mine was melted and dead, as if it had shorted out or something.

Otherwise, I've also figured out that cocking the nozzle sideways in the hole is a pretty easy solution as well. I stand to the rear of the fill hole, then hold the nozzle at what would be like 9 or 10 o'clock (if facing the car). Weird, I know, but I've replaced the valve a couple times already and they for some reason just keep going out after so long. Whatever.

If I keep the car around much longer I'll just eliminate the evap system and have the codes turned off.

JuStaWRX likes this.
  4. JaloP

JaloP Well-Known Member

I've had these same issues. It's actually been working lately but it goes in stretches. I was going to dig into the evap system a bit but those were both my thoughts. Either charcoal canister or the solenoid

JuStaWRX likes this.
  5. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

Thank you!

The weird thing is, there has been no code thrown, no CEL. I will start with the vent solenoid and charcoal canister inspection! Thank you!

6. subie-roo

subie-roo Well-Known Member

I had no CEL and swapped the canister with one from another RS, took about 10 minutes total. Good luck!

JuStaWRX likes this.
  7. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I had the issue on my bugeye as well J. Definitely check those two items first!

Also, it is SUPER annoying!:banghead:

Butthau5 and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  8. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

Really sucks when it's -30* out and it takes you 10 freaking minutes to fill the tank. My daily has been like that since I bought it 4 years ago haha...too lazy to fix it

JuStaWRX likes this.