Subaru lower ball joint

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Sir, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Sir

Sir Member

Hi, does anybody have a Subaru lower ball joint puller I can use? I've tried all the tricks online, or does anybody have an other tricks?
    Thanks!

2. Butthau5

Butthau5 Well-Known Member

Do you need to get it out of the knuckle? Use a big s clip or chain (or a ratcheting strap works in a pinch) and a large pry bar to pull the control arm down. Don't forget to take the pin out first.
    Do you need to remove the ball joint from the control arm? Ball joint puller is like $10-20 at harbor freight.

3. Butthau5

By s clip I mean a large piece of metal that is shaped like an s idk what they are actually called but you put the top side over the control arm and your pry bar under the control arm and pry against the S. Probably need at least a 2 foot bar. The s clip I have is almost a half inch in diameter and it still got bent from prying against it.

4. Sir

Sir Member

Getting the ball joint out the knuckle. Ball joint is pretty rusted on, I tried busting it off with a pry bar on the lower control arm but no luck. Ill probably have to make a something with a slide hammer.

5. CornyTumbleweed

CornyTumbleweed Well-Known Member

If you’re not trying to save the ball joint I’ve used a map gas torch on the threads and lower control arm, frustration, and a heavy hammer onto the ball joint from below.

6. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

I went through this years ago. I had time and patience on my side, so every morning before work for about a week I would saturate it with PB Blaster. In the end, it came out with very little effort.

7. Sir

Sir Member

Still didnt have any luck with a 5/8 nut welded to a 12X1.25 nut threaded to the ball joint and a slide hammer so in the process of cutting the ball joint out. Hope it goes well.

8. Butthau5

Oof, best of luck to ye.

9. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

10. Butthau5

11. Sir

Sir Member

Decided to go with the home made version. Thanks for all the suggestions and advices.

"Messy work bench due to frustration my apologies"

upload_2021-6-10_7-19-34.png

12. Butthau5

This is awesome. I have so many doodads made out of pipe and fittings