Subaru to Axe Impreza WRX - True or False for the US?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by jackbauer, Sep 29, 2009.

1. jackbauer

jackbauer Well-Known Member

2. Bielke55

Bielke55 Well-Known Member

False

3. scoobypwnz201

scoobypwnz201 Well-Known Member

hahaha no way that, that's possible. The WRX is a pretty popular car.

4. j4ngl35

j4ngl35 Well-Known Member

Yeah...I share the skepticism...Why would they axe the WRX after making the best one yet, especially with it's massive popularity?

If by chance it was true, I would probably cry.

Edit: Maybe if it is true, it's only for the UK/parts of Europe (since it's from a website based in London)? There seems to be a lot more direct competition there for the WRX than we have here, it could perhaps make sense to only focus on the STi like it states in the article. I still think it's dumb though.

5. putz

putz Well-Known Member

if that were true.... THE WE WOULD have increased demand for our cars as colectors items!

6. j4ngl35

j4ngl35 Well-Known Member

Glad I snagged mine up before they all end up in museums! :biggrin:

7. Tim the Plumber

Tim the Plumber Well-Known Member

"Subaru is to axe its Impreza WRX, Justy city car and its two-wheel-drive technology in a bid to stick to what it believes is its core values.

The Japanese car maker will now run down its stocks of two-wheel-drive cars and its deleted models that are expected to run out in Spring 2010.

story is full of lies

8. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Stella, R2, Pleo, etc... notice how this website spells "tires" with a "y"

9. skylinerally09

skylinerally09 Member

yeahh ... noooo. Lol the fact they are mentioned as " 2-wheel drive" cars already makes me think this completely redonkulous.

*However the guys at the dealership were telling me about Fuji making a 2 door coupe model possibly...

10. fondune

fondune Well-Known Member

That coupe model wasn't perchance a joint effort with Toyota, was it?

11. putz

putz Well-Known Member

it's foriegn news, with car modles we have yet to see on our shores. The diesel line up.... I say this could be true in other countries, they would ditch their existing 2wd cars in favor of thier harcore AWD line up.

I think it is written in a confusing way, but I would say that it would make sense to ditch the WRX. The wrx is so close to the same preformance as the STI at this point in time, they probly want to sepperate the performance segment further from their economy segment, and brand their performance line up as "STI". I can see this as plausible story.

12. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

we need a diesel over here NOW for ****s sake.

13. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Um, there are quite a few Subaru FWD cars in Japan. The Impreza 1.5i or whatever it's called, is a FWD car. All the subcompacts are FWD. And i'm sure they have some sort of basemodel Legacy that is FWD, though I'm not entirely certain of that.

This doesn't apply to the US, as we don't carry any FWD Subaru cars here. Carry on.

14. subytek

subytek Well-Known Member

I could see this happening in the U.S.'s future though. Subaru has been making less and less turbo models as the years go on. Unless Subaru gets a VERY fuel efficient car here to make up for the turbo models by 2012, (the new CAFE standard starts), SOA will be in trouble. I don't wish for this, but it is the sad truth.

15. skylinerally09

skylinerally09 Member

.ekatsim ton mi fi esac eht saw taht evieleb od i !seY ( that is how my typing came up.. backwards .. wierd) But yea i do believe it is with toyota if im not mistaken, the guy at the dealership was all excited about it. Told him i would buy one if they got them ;)

As long as it stays that way i'm not to concerned lol

16. readymix

AWD cars are crappy for gas mileage, if you want Subaru to stay competitive in the US market, they are going to need more fuel efficient cars. Dumping the FWD line up might be a bad idea.

17. skylinerally09

skylinerally09 Member

I think at 30 + mpg there in the top of fuel efficient cars being they are awd. And for Many of us Northerners the FWD cars are useless in the winter.

18. Lowrider

Lowrider Well-Known Member

Obama does not care about winter drivability.... All he wants is American comapnies to make more fuel efficient cars- Meaning that the imports like Subaru, will have to compete with the new standards of other fuel efficient cars out there. However, it does not mean that they will stop making the turbo charged Subies. They might just make changes like were for example the leggy wagons can have 2 modes AWD & FWD but that again might increase the price...

just a speculation.

19. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Well-Known Member

Let's steer clear of polical discussions...they alwayw spiral out of control

20. KSAL

KSAL Well-Known Member

Just from what i see. The imports are the cars that the american auto industry is having to "catch up to" So really subaru should be just fine when the american auto's get up to par. And by then the imports will be to 40+ mpgs so then we will be in the same boat again with the american auto having to catch back up to the future efficiency standards. im just sayin i see the imports ALWAYS at the top of the MPG game. just my .02

21. scoobypwnz201

they almost HAVE to be..gas is SUPER expensive in japan...

22. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Not to mention we are in one of the few countries in the world where you can cruise at 65mph for HOURS!

I don't think I've ever been above 60mph for any decent amount of time on any Japanese roads... even up in Hokkaido. There just isn't the space or need for it. For the most part, only buses and trucks regularly commute on the highways since the trains and subways are quicker and much more economical.

23. readymix

Way to completely miss the point. And no, there aren't any Subaru AWD cars that I know of that get 30+ MPG using the current system of measurement.

And the new standards state that an average across the entire line-up of cars from a manufacturer has to be a set MPG value.

First they take each car in the line-up that a manufacturer offers, then they weigh each car based on volume of sales, then they take the MPG rating of EACH car in the line-up, factor in the volume of cars sold each year for each model, then average those values together and come up with a number, in MPG, that the manufacturer is producing. That MPG value has to be below the CAFE standard fleet MPG set by the government.

You can read all about it here http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/rules/CAFE/overview.htm

But if you can understand averages, then you can understand why keeping around a bunch of FWD econobox cars isn't a bad idea if you plan to sell in the US.

24. skylinerally09

skylinerally09 Member

My rs gets 32 mpg on the highway, i cant imagine why they would get rid of that. But then again i dont fully understand their measurment crap.

To the main point, Subaru's are the Northlands number 1 car, you take off the AWD and there sales will cease to exist. We NEED AWD or some kind of 4wd option. I guess if you think about it it would increase Fords sales.. being they have 4wd trucks lol.

Everyday up here i see hundreds of subarus being driven, not only because of the winter but becuase there solid built cars with a whole mind state of when you think of a subaru what do you think of? Awd. Taking that off would put it into that horrific category of *ugh* FWD like hondas, metros, camrys, ect. Simply not done.

Btw isnt this discussion about axing the wrx? ( which i see as less then 50% of happening).

25. readymix

US MPG Rating for the 2001 2.5RS
    21MPG city, 28mpg highway.
    FACT

And the US CAFE standards don't take into account some forum goer's arbitrary gas mileage numbers. They use the US MPG rating for cars.

I could care less that you get 32mpg, I'm sure if I hypermiled the same car and drove 55mph in 5th gear everywhere I went I could average 40mpg. The CAFE standards don't take your numbers or my numbers into account. Don't argue just to argue, it makes you look ignorant. Especially in the context of the CAFE standards with regards to FWD 4 cylinders and their effect on fleet MPG averages.

26. skylinerally09

skylinerally09 Member

Can we stay on the ORIGINAL topic??

Hey settle down turbo, i'm not doing a world class political debate on mpg with you. I know quite well what are cars are listed from the factory with. Your whole idea i'm arguing to argue is abit absurd. I wont further put this off topic, if you have a problem pm me.

27. AWDimprezaL

Readymix is a batman moderator. Watch out.

28. readymix

You added 3 new paragraphs to the post I quoted. Your original post smacked of smug self-satisfaction at telling me you get 32mpg. But even after adding all those paragraphs you STILL are missing the point. I never said they would get rid of the AWD cars. Never once. And if you read what I said and the links I posted, you would understand. ADDING more fuel efficient FWD cars will help with the fleet average of Subaru's line-up.

Here's a basic lesson in averages.

Let's say Subaru sell 3 vehicles. A truck, a sedan, and a compact. They get 5, 10 and 15mpg respectively. Giving them, without sales volume weights, a fleet average of 10mpg. If you were to add a turbo performance model to the sedan size line that gets say 8mpg, your fleet MPG average would go down under 10mpg. Let's say the CAFE requirement is 10MPG average fleet fuel economy. Now, by adding that turbo car to the lineup, they are out of CAFE standdards and must pay money to the federal government to offset it. This leads to your cars becoming more expensive. Now, lets say, they learn from this mistake, they keep their turbo car in the line up, but they add 3 FWD compact cars to the line up, each getting 15mpg. They have now uppped their fleet average to 11.3mpg. Well over that CAFE requirement of 10. This gives them breathing room to introduce more turbo cars to the market.

29. scoobypwnz201

when i travelled around gunma i couldn't believe the ammount of twisties and mountain passes...40mph is like almost the average.. :laugh: though i wish i lived in japan i love that country

30. AWDimprezaL

I wish you lived in Japan too. :laugh:

31. skylinerally09

skylinerally09 Member

Then this is a misunderstanding, I wasn't being smug I was joking hence the winky face lol. The awd thing was something I interpreted you as saying they would cut out awd and sub in fwd. And your explanation of the mpg calculation reAlly makes sense. I guess going fwd downsouth would be alright an make sense but up here it would kinda hurt them.

32. skylinerally09

skylinerally09 Member

Btw way my apologies good sir for the mix up :)

33. putz

putz Well-Known Member

SO BACK TO THE wrx GETTING AXED.... I think this is possible in most countries....it seems that real enthusists want to drive the STI, and in europe they have som many different STI trim modles to choose from.... why bother offering a wrx?
    I can kinda see it happening in order for them to meet emmisions obligations in other countries.

BUT here in the USA, I really doubt they would pull the WRX from our line up.

34. skylinerally09

skylinerally09 Member

I agree, your logic makes sense. Imprezas and outbacks sell a crapload here. That is justified by the fact familys dot have a need for the sti a us young people do.

35. Back Road Runner

Back Road Runner Well-Known Member

I can see the WRX going. I see the turbo engine still existing in the base Impreza model though, but it won't be sport oriented, simply an engine choice. With the relative proximity of the WRX and STI right now, it really only makes sense to do one of two things: axe the WRX or make the STI into a monster. They don't seem to really want to make the STI into a full on race car. They seem content on keeping it an enthusiast car with trick parts. They worry too much about pleasing everyone with every car.

+1 for diesel. It's been a l o n g time coming, and everyone's too retarded over the stupid hybrids. 40mpg isn't amazing. We had cars that did 50-60mpg already. It's not new. It's not even amazing. It doesn't even have a lot to do with the engines. I think on an old article of SCC, there was a Golf GTI with a Northstar V8 wedged in. It did over 40mpg and made gobs of power doing it. You either have to change the fuel or change the car. Hybrid is a nice idea for limited use applications, but diesel does better all-around. As well, companies need to heavily address both weight and aerodynamics if they really want to get a fuel efficient car. An old Honda CRX made wondrous milage for a reason. Current safety and crash requirements limit designs these days, although, I think companies aren't trying that hard to shave weight and drag. Diesel is a great compromise.

36. skylinerally09

skylinerally09 Member

So end result we could end up seeing the sti and impreza with the outback. That's still a nice line up.

37. putz

putz Well-Known Member

THE WRX IS A PERFORMANCE SEDAN, it is not the purer sports car that the STI is. The only reason that the WRX is made is to compete with other buget performance segment cars offered by the competition, honestly.... loosing the wrx is not the end of the world.

38. scoobypwnz201

wanna help pay for the ticket? ill marry me a nice japanese girl and get a visa :laugh:then ill send you pictures of jdm cars and make you jealous! :yumyum:

39. putz

putz Well-Known Member

hahaha....

If you can't afford the ticket you cannot afford to live there.

40. scoobypwnz201

dream killer! :emo: i miss having a rich girlfriend lol :laugh:

41. readymix

The STi isn't a sports car either, it's also a performance oriented sedan.

42. putz

putz Well-Known Member

I concure, you are correct, however... the STi is not just a peppy car, it is a well rounded sports sedan.

the wrx is damn peppy though...:biggrin:

43. fondune

fondune Well-Known Member

why don't we just call subaru up and axe them?

44. EBR15

EBR15 Well-Known Member

I agree that subaru is trying to please everyone with every car, but I can already hear people complaining about not being able to get cup holders and leather seats in an STI. I think I blame the buyers that want the STI to be a luxury sedan more than subaru.

I sure would love to see them make the STI into a monster. There are several cars that can compete with the STI for a lot less money...as long as it's not snowing.

45. greg donovan

greg donovan Well-Known Member

i could see them dropping the WRX NAME and replacing it with the Impreza GT and then having the STi be the top trim level in the impreza line.