Subaru vs Mitsubishi MAP 2012 Event at BIR

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Musashi, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

Taking place at Proving Grounds June 23-24

You know this was suggested by MAP them self and I've been pondering the whole idea. And have come to the conclusion this would be very beneficial in that it would bring both sides of the fence together for a friendly event. Not to prove who's better but rather to have a joint event and have lot of fun doing it. Hopefully this will spun off to include others like Nissan's and more.

What I'd like to possibly see happen is have the top three runners complete in Auto-X and Drag in addition to the Road Course just like what we see on TV. I also won't mind seeing a Drift off competition as well. I think it would really raise some interests in both communities. Top three can be chosen prior to the event, like what's on paper if you will, I really don't care.

And hopefully this concept can continue as the years follow in future events. I think if we can generate enough interest I'm sure MAP would be happy to put something together and make this a Main Event as part of their program.

I'd like to hear from others on how they feel about this grand idea?

2. Musashi

Also if this was to move forward feel free to throw some names into the hat who you'd like to see go batting for Team Subaru!!! Holla!

3. IzzySTi

IzzySTi Well-Known Member

Interesting........

4. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

Cool idea.

5. dark_stalker

dark_stalker Well-Known Member

Would be nice

6. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Do we have to pick 3 people? Why not just have a day where people show up and drive for fun? I suppose we could keep some kind of leaderboard, but only letting 3 people drive doesn't seem like it'd be too much fun for everyone else.

7. Musashi

xl- those are just some idea's I threw out there to try and generate some interest. Nothing's going to happen if we can't get enough traction on this. There will already be plenty of people coming to the event as is. My idea's were to allow three predefined individuals to start working together way in advance to come out strong at this event. Competing in just one event is a much easier task then competing in three. But I welcome everyone to contribute their ideas. This can only get better if you're willing to share your experiences and ideas. -Thankx

8. i_subie

i_subie Well-Known Member

I wonder what the EVO guys are doing? Someone should go spy on them. Maybe they already have pick 3 drivers? Should I represent for Subaru again?

9. engstb

engstb Well-Known Member

10. Talonted

Talonted Well-Known Member

that information is incorrect it is june on the 23rd and 24th

11. Musashi

Thanks glad someone wasn't sleeping. I was thinking June but my fingers typed May probably because I'll be at BIR in May. lol

12. Talonted

Talonted Well-Known Member

13. i_subie

i_subie Well-Known Member

Now how are they doing it this year? Since last year we attended a different event instead. Are they just gonna set classes based on tire compound?

14. Musashi

Well at least we have one GT5 playa signing on. lol

Looking like you'll be carrying the whole weight of the MNSubaru on your shoulders in 2012. I'm sure you won't disappoint!!!

I think it's time for a new set of shaved RA1's.

15. 01midmetws6

01midmetws6 Well-Known Member

I think this is a great idea and I would love to bring my car and have some fun! Mine definitely would not make top three catagory (nor would the VictoRacers meet requirements) but it would be great to get out and beat on it on something other than an open track day.

16. Musashi

Well it's great to see at least there's a one interested party who's willing to step up here on the Subaru side of things. Running a track event isn't cheap and hosting an event just for Mitsu vs Subaru just isn't going to fly as you can see from the level of interest from both forums. Regardless this is going to happen officially or not one will reign supreme over the other.

I'm thinking I'm going back to hibernation. lol

17. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

So, this would only happen if we have 3 "chosen" competitors? How would that generate enough funding to run the event? You would charge people to come and watch? Wouldn't it make a lot more sense for everyone to just come out and run their own cars and then see how everyone stacks up at the end of the day? I think a lot more people would be interested in going if they were able to participate themselves. I know I wouldn't make that drive, and then pay for entry, to watch half a dozen no-names drive around. Sorry if I'm missing something here, but what you're describing just doesn't have any draw for me.

If you're actually saying that everyone does get to drive and you're simply offering some free tips for 3 people, I'd love to have you show me a thing or two. I highly doubt I would be a top 3 driver though.

18. Musashi

Thank you sir... those were just some generic idea I put together in hopes to generate ides from others to share some of their own. No one should feel offended or outcast from it. Keep in mind I'm not the one hosting the event here, I'm just trying to help make the event better every year. My logic behind picking three was to allow others to participate in the regular events at their own free will. The three will just offer a small exhibition that won't take more then an hour of fun. I guess if I knew something in advance I could prepare for it right. And if this idea doesn't work well lets try something different.

IMO you doesn't have to have a lot of experience if any and it shouldn't matter, why because if you're serious enough I am willing to help with some coaching and track setup anyway and by the way I actually had you and a few others in mind. How's that for FREE! :devil:

From what I understand the Road Course portion of the event isn't going to change, people will find out at the end of the day how they're going to stack up no matter what. Part of the challenge is the current timing system in place does not allow time to be utilized efficiently since only one car can be allowed on the track at a time to be timed. Renting Transponders I hear are out of reach due to cost.

19. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Well, I'd love some tips along the way. I hope my car and my skills are up to the challenge. I agree that a quick "event" at the end could be fun to watch.

It's too bad their isn't real-time timing available. Seems with technology these days that shouldn't be too hard...

20. Musashi

It's all good bro. We have to work with what we have and hope to build on from it. I don't want people to be mislead here. All I'm hoping for is to make a fun event. On the road course it's a balance between man and machine. All joking aside don't feel like you have to represent anything at these events, although there are some people who have big ego's to feed and restitution to pay. All I'd really like to see is people pull together and make a team effort to do your best at these types of events and continue to improve each following year. It's very expensive to do this on your own and not having any experience just makes it all that more frustrating.

OngbakLGT likes this.
  21. tjkolb

tjkolb Member

My .02, maybe if there was 3 car representation to make it with 3 different classes, stock, partial modified, and off the charts modified. Myself however am just planing on attending for the sake of attending unless I get the push needed to get out on the autoX since I've never done anything like that haha. But yea there's my .02 haha

22. Musashi

Thanks for contributing sir. You should participate just for the sake of having fun. You will wish you did after it's all over. I'll be there to help out and give a few rides.

23. tjkolb

tjkolb Member

Idk, we shall see what happens, If I get the chance to hit up the BIR event and learn some pointers about track handling then perhaps I shall enter the Proving grounds, but I'm still a little sketchy about putting my daily driver on the course.

24. istoptofly

istoptofly Well-Known Member

I'd be down, assuming my car is fixed by then! :(

25. Musashi

You better be there, we need yo 10 second lug nutts :smoke:

26. istoptofly

istoptofly Well-Known Member

Ha! Actually, NF owns those now ;)

27. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

Lol I has those lug nuts!

So who gonna go represent for Subaru? I know of some 10 sec subies in the Twin Cities.

28. wrx 08 Sedan

wrx 08 Sedan Member

You know I will be there to run what ever events I can. Already have plans to get as much track time as I can afford this summer.
    I guess I should also leave some money for new tires and brakes:)

29. MNSubie22

MNSubie22 New Member

I'd love just to ride in some of the really fast Subies...... Being stage 2 I dream about that larger turbo and built engine haha

30. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

So...lets get that handled

vangstaboi86 likes this.
  31. Driveshaft

Driveshaft Well-Known Member

This sounds like fun. I've always wanted to do something like this.

32. Musashi

So Mitsu is offering me a steak dinner and a free car wash to drive for them.....hmmm should I do it?

33. MNSubie22

MNSubie22 New Member

I think this summer i'll only have money for a fmic, and injectors for an E85 tune Nuke. Wont be able to get any of the other supporting mods for a big turbo. I'm buying skydiving rig in the spring so I can jump for cheap all summer, but its going to be like 6k for that haha. Not exactly something you want to cheap out on.

34. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

Got ya...

35. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

Come on people! Bring it! Must I have to bring out skittles this year? Or is that the black mamba?

36. tjkolb

tjkolb Member

Fine, I'll bring it, but I'm gonna need help with things that the ej205 is gonna need before then, looking at a $5000 budget for parts, the only thing I have is a cat-back exhaust, (I need new suspension as well so throw me the brands/models that would work best) Also, Nuke, from the mill here, your a wizard at tuning? I'm gonna need one of them too!!! It's gonna need to be a full out project come may/early June, and I'll need some volunteers to teach a young subaru enthusiast (Myself) how to do things under this hood!!! I have an 02 WRX just to be clear...

Perhaps do a garage build day with anyone interested in assisting me with this? I am willing to provide some beer and pizza when the time comes!!! lol

37. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

What did you want to do with suspension? Coilovers or coil spring and struts?

38. Back Road Runner

Back Road Runner Well-Known Member

I really do like the idea of everyone running, although I can see it being an organizational mess. As for time, it would come down to number of runs. For a ton of people, it might very well be just one shot at each. With fewer people, there may be multiple runs and fastest run taken. It could very well be a points thing, scaled to the fastest driver of the day for each event type. Fastests drag = 1. Fastest auto-x = 1. Fastest track lap = 1. Then everyone is scaled down from this so they'd get 0.8, 0.92, 0.75, etc. for scores. A fast drag car may be a slow auto-x car. I assume we are trying to find the best all-around car. The points are summed for all events, and you can award trophies to those with the highest total scores. As for classing, I think street tire (140 treadwear min.) and slick is enough of a split for groups. It's not like people need to get insanely detailed about this.

I like the idea of testing both the car and the driver (owner). While with a small car set I can see picking drivers to drive the cars. It just depends on how the event would be run.

39. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

Team MNSubaru vs Team MN-EVO?
    Will have to enter like up to 3 cars for each event. Gives each event 3 chances. Three cars for drag, 3 for autoX, 3 for road course.

40. tjkolb

tjkolb Member

Well Fuji, I'm leaning more toward the coilover side of things. Any tips?

41. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

I've had BC Racing coilovers. They are not anything big name like bilstein but I like the fact that I can choose my spring rates. They will replace the dampers to match the new springs. They have three, entry level, inverted and external reservoir setups. Back in the day I was looking at JIC's but they had some issues with the lower brackets breaking under extreme load.

I ride on 12k rates, which come out to be roughly 670lb/in springs. Off the shelf rates are 8k front and 6k rear. Our GC/GD Imprezas rotate better with equal rates. Your driving style may reflect how well it rotates for your tastes.

42. tjkolb

tjkolb Member

You had me following you until you started on the rates and such...
    <----NEWB lol

I just need something that qualifies for both a Daily driver year round and yet gives decent track handling for those few opportunities... I've heard some pretty good things about BC coil's from both this forum site, as well as NASIOC. Which is why I've been leaning more this route then the latter. But then what I'm concerned with is wear and tear? Do these need replacement any more often then regular strut/shock combos?

43. tjkolb

tjkolb Member

I should also throw out that I started a forum for my car in the Mods/Maint. section should you like to post there, rather then thread jacking the Proving Grounds...lol

44. Musashi

Do what ever you want to do to prepare for this mega event but I will honestly tell you buying tons of mod parts isn't going to help you win at this event if you don't have the experience nor the time or the money to dial it in before the event. Like I said I'm willing to help but at the end of the day I'm not the one who's going to be behind the wheel of your car. Keep it simple, reliable and you'll have a lot more fun.

45. Musashi

Very good question: http://www.mnsubaru.com/threads/2002-wrx-build-assistance.37873/#post-631235