T-leg Version 2.0

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by piddster, Dec 13, 2008.

1. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

Be patient, young grasshoppa.

2. PRA4SNO

PRA4SNO Well-Known Member

First off...wow. Its amazing to me that you are pushing through all of this work yourself. The time and effort going into the research you are doing to get it right the first time around, and the man hours to turn the planning into reality... REALLY impressed man. The whole front clip looks great.

Lastly...from this picture, it would appear your garage is a meth lab. Any concerned neighbors or law enforcement yet? lolz...

[​IMG]

3. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

Thanks for the kind words.
    Marc is an experienced body tech, so I'm not pursuing this alone. He is the one actually spraying the car. Without him, the paint would be done a lot faster, but not even close to as nice. I'm learning a ton through this whole ordeal, as paint is a very time consuming, finicky, and expensive process.

As far as the meth lab garage, we haven't had any visits from John Law just yet. I wonder what the neighbors think about seeing two guys wearing respirators walking around the garage, while catching wafts of solvent, lol.

4. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

meh... its Shakopee.. they wouldnt care about meth labs ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

and what person running a meth lab takes those sort of precautions

5. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

LOL!! Pictures were taken of me when I was spot blasting...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. souy07

souy07 Well-Known Member

wow that is beautiful.... great job on the leggy... love the paint... can't wait to see it in person....

7. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I just did something involuntary.........and messy :hsugh:

8. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

I love blasting!

9. Grayguy

Grayguy Well-Known Member

i hate sand blasting

10. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

Got the turbo today. Its slightly larger.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And yes it does fit. Even with AC, that I don't have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[YOUTUBE]yb8H9462U1s[/YOUTUBE]

11. TSTRBOY2004

watch for carbon build up....

12. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

I'm going to work this thing over like Mr. Clean. Still, gas motors have way less soot. Derek has ran his for two years without issue. All the BS online is just that, BS. One person has actually tried it, and he's local. I'll be number two...

We learned the subtle differences between the two generations. The compressor housing is considerably different, this one has nine vanes instead of ten, among other things. We'll see how it does. Hard to argue with a $200 turbo.

13. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

Maybe this will refresh some memories. Also, mechanical speedos are slow....

14. TSTRBOY2004

yeah.. I dont know much about it, but was talking to the Ford Diesel Master Tech at work about you guys running them on the subaru's and he mentioned to watch for that, as the different burning issues with gas compared to diesel... he was also more curious about how they run it with teh variable vanes.... or maybe it was cause the Diesel gum up more.. whatever.. it works.. ha ha

15. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

A standalone with a general purpose 3D auxiliary map that outputs a PWM signal controls the vanes. Reference RPM and load and it works. A 4D map would be more ideal, but 3D gets the job done. Also, a solid state relay is in between due to the high inductance of the Ford solenoid, and the resulting flyback voltage that is known to cook Hydra circuits.

I do have to do some modifications to it to actually be able to use it. The turbine housing isn't normally clockable, but some strategic grinding makes it happen. Since this one has nine vanes, I have nine possible positions to use. Also, I have to weld a fitting to to the oil drain since Ford uses that goofy pipe that simply plugs in with an o-ring.

16. greenwar

greenwar Well-Known Member

Wow! Once your car is done, i want to watch it do all-wheel burnout!

17. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

We'll see what happens. A car with an automatic has an easier time with since you can brake-torque an auto. I'm a bit hesitant to use launch control with shim-over buckets.

18. Ryan

Ryan Sled drifting master

Lookin great Dan. Can't wait to see it on the road.

19. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

Good god, launch with 7psi on that turbo..... Me wants. Me really wants.

20. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

On Star Specs even. I'm afraid to think of what will happen to the Fusions that are on my wheels at the moment, lol.

21. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

40R. Its the new 20G. Especially when it spools just as fast. :biggrin:

Also, 4 inch piping fits under my fender just fine. w00t

[​IMG]

22. fobiawrx

fobiawrx Fabiola

your welcome....

23. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

LOL, fair enough.

Fobia makes this possible. *bow down*

And I need TP for my bunghole.

24. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

It needs some work, but the 40R compressor does interchange with the journal bearing counterparts. The housing mounting holes are further inward compared to the stock housing, so I need some allen head bolts and washers, or something.

Hopefully it doesn't surge too bad at low boost, but the additional 12 lb/min capability should make it worth it. Either way, it will sound pretty baddass at 3000 rpm, lol.

Again, props to butthead, I mean fobia for making this happen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Impreza 2.2 T AWD

Impreza 2.2 T AWD New Member

very very nice..........

26. Speedemon

Speedemon Well-Known Member

Yes Win!

27. TSTRBOY2004

TP??

Toilet Paper?
    Tiny Peen?
    Total Pownage?
    Total Pervert?

28. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

Are you threatening me?

29. TSTRBOY2004

nope ---- promising ;)

30. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

So you swapped in a 40R compressor into that thing? Good gawd man.

31. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

Derek one-upped me twice in a row, so I needed to do something :hsugh:

I won't take that motor beyond pump gas though. I'm not trying to find the limits of Eagle rods, lol.

32. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

I did some basic plotting on the compressor map to see if this thing will be decent at lower flow rates or just want to surge all the time. It actually looks pretty good if I don't ask for too much boost down low, which would choke the motor on the exhaust side from the vanes being closed too far anyways.

The only area of concern is at 4500 rpm between 20 and 30 psi, where hot temperatures will cause a slightly a lower flow rate for a given pressure and shift the points to the left, near the surge line. I did all the calculations at 85 degrees F. 120 degrees could cause an issue, but the new setup might not even see such temperatures. Hopefully my cold air intake will help prevent too much hot air from the engine bay making it to the turbo.

In the end, this is only a rough estimate of how the compressor will perform in the real world. I don't actually know what the volumetric efficiency of the motor is at any given rpm and pressure. Same goes for the brake specific fuel consumption. I might not even need 30 psi to reach my target whp, so who knows. It's nice to get an idea of what will happen, but math doesn't always match real world testing.

[​IMG]

33. Grayguy

Grayguy Well-Known Member

god damn engineers. haha

34. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

I will say, the brown color wouldn't look too bad all murdered out. Too bad though, since the color still sucks, the car is already stripped, and the materials are already in hand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And since I was packing up the old turbo for shipping, I thought I would take a comparo shot. The compressor housing isn't much larger, but the wheel tells a different story.

[​IMG]

I'm just bored since I'm waiting on money, meaning parts for the car. I need a plate for my clutch, cams for the motor, some more aluminum piping, and some flanges, among other things before I can move forward. It's annoying stand here knowing there is a lot of work right in front of me and not being able to put a dent in it.

35. T-REX5000

T-REX5000 Well-Known Member

less mapping...more building

36. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

Gotta put the motor in the car first homie. I need some chedda to do that...

37. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

sweet!

as of last week, that car's old motor is living on in my wagon. yay

38. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

so much time and $$$ into these cars!!!! WHY!?!?!?!! lolz

need to get back to porting my heads.... lolz

39. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

I haven't had much progress lately because baby needs camshafts and a plate or two for the clutch. I'll work on the engine bay this week, installing the pedal box, brake master cylinder, clutch master, lines, some wiring, etc.

The other day I disassembled the turbo for cleaning. I'm not sure if it needs to be apart for balancing, but I'll find out tomorrow. Anyways, she's in pretty nice shape. No play or scoring on the bearings, and it happens to have a 360 degree thrust bearing. I was surprised as to how heavy the turbine wheel is. Its crazy that it spins up to 115,000 rpm.

The center housing is quite weird compared to normal turbos. The large piston that moves the vanes is large. I like the clever single solenoid valve that provides infinite control over vane position.

After its balanced, I have to reclock the turbine housing in one of nine positions due to the nine vanes. A strategic hole lines everything up. Also, I have to weld an AN fitting to the oil drain since the Powerstroke uses a tube with an O-ring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

40. Tdagen

Tdagen Well-Known Member

What kind of turbo is that? Is that some kind of vgt or what ever?

41. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

Yup. It's a GT3782 VNT from a '04 Powerstroke, with a GT4088R compressor, thanks to fobia.

42. rbuaslsliearn

rbuaslsliearn Member

thats insane man.

43. Tdagen

Tdagen Well-Known Member

Interesting so how does it "work" , when does it know when to switch or open the vane or whatever??

44. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

On this particular turbo, the vanes are ran by a PWM solenoid valve that is infinitely variable. The valve is controlled by a standalone using a 3D map scaled with load and RPM. There is some stuff in between.

Anyways, it took a lot of tuning time with Derek's car, but after the fact it was worth it. A boost threshold of 2500 rpm and unlimited boost at 3500 rpm, depending on the motor, made me want to make the jump.

This setup will probably need to stay on the street however. A few engineers at Garrett told me that extended periods of high duty cycles could be catastrophic. They never tested them on gas motors though. Derek has ran it for two years with EGT's creeping up on the 1750 degree arena, however.

We'll see how this works. The 40R compressor will be running close to the surge line until about 4500rpm. I'm going to take one of the vanes and the unison ring to school to measure with the CMM and the laser scanner to possibly make new parts out of inconel. The housing is a worry though, since they did not cast it with a high nickle content like gas turbos.

45. Tdagen

Tdagen Well-Known Member

Cool! Very interesting, get working I wanna see more :biggrin: !!