T-leg Version 2.0

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by piddster, Dec 13, 2008.

1. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

Look up whitelegacyguy on youtube or search for gt3782 on youtube to see some in-progress videos. There are a couple that show the spool characteristics.

2. greg donovan

greg donovan Well-Known Member

who did you talk to at garrett? oe of my good friends is an engineer there, mike moyer. he also rallies now and then.

3. Tdagen

Tdagen Well-Known Member

Maybe run E85 to kick a little of that heat going to the hotside...;):biggrin:... I can't wait to see this puppy finished! What do you think it is going to weigh in at? Fairly light I would assume?

4. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

Initially it was through the contact info at the website. He passed it around to a few engineers who were never named. Later, I traded some emails with Khiem Dinh in California. He is interested in a unit ran for a while on a gas motor to check out.

I only have 900cc injectors, so fun with corn won't happen for me until I get some rails, big topfeeds, another or different fuel pump, some line and fittings, and possibly a stronger motor, along with a triple disk clutch.

This setup will hopefully provide 450whp on pump gas. It all depends on if I need to go to a tubular manifold, 4" DP, and larger IC plumbing. The compressor will have PLENTY of headroom, so we'll see what happens. I also really don't want to find the limits of Eagle rods. Trashing a 22T block would be a shame.

5. Tdagen

Tdagen Well-Known Member

Well thought out , nice... Dont ruin the 22t no doubt...

6. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

Made some progress tonight.

[​IMG]

7. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

B E A Utiful!!!!

8. T-REX5000

T-REX5000 Well-Known Member

yes, brakes will be a very good thing with the new build!!

9. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

I got the guts back from Diesel Components. It didn't need any balancing since Garrett compressor wheels are balanced by themselves. Dennis checked it and it was within spec for this particular turbo.

I attemped to assemble the turbo, but I had a big newb fail. When I tried to put the turbine wheel and shaft back in the center housing, the seal ring broke took chunks of material from the turbine wheel and center housing. Big mistake. I'll be back at Diesel Components tomorrow morning to see what is salvageable. If I need another turbo, I'll get one. They go for $1-200. Lame, but **** happens. That's hot-rodden baby.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. fobiawrx

fobiawrx Fabiola

hey how much do they charge for balancing?

11. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

It came to $39.91. He needs a part number though, since every turbo has a spec to hold to. I don't know if they do Borg stuff yet.

12. goodhart

goodhart Well-Known Member

Yes they do Borg Warners

13. souy07

souy07 Well-Known Member

whta kind of rims are those black ones?

14. WhiteLegacyGuy

WhiteLegacyGuy Active Member

They are old Prodrive Pero-R's. They are made by Speedline. They are actually mine but me and Dan switched for a while.

15. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

I'm buying another turbo, lol.

It's the Duramax version of that turbo, but it has a water cooled center housing, a vane position sensor, and uses an oil inlet and outlet that don't require welding a fitting on.

What is interesting is those turbos use the 11 blade compressor wheel like the new Garrett GTX series, most likely because the Duramax is a 6.6L instead of a 6.0L. Not that it matter to me, since I'm using a 40R compressor.

16. fobiawrx

fobiawrx Fabiola

whats wrong with the old turbo?

17. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

There's nothing wrong with it, but this thing has much nicer oil connections. That and the water cooling is interesting, since the Duramax's seem to have significantly less issues than the Powerstroke motors do with this turbo. Everything *should* transfer, but we'll see when it gets here. It's really just a little experimentation to see what all is possible with this frame.

I might get Derek to slap in the 11 blade compressor for the time being, until the new unit is sent later this spring. ;)

18. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

The Duramax turbo is mine and on it's way for $150. It even comes with the VNT solenoid, which is $360 new, and the vane position sensor. It should be fun to disassemble in a week or two. I'm also curious as to the size of the compressor wheel. The housing is slightly different than the Ford units, and obviously has the 11 full-blade compressor wheel like the new GTX series turbos.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The oil inlet uses a banjo on the Duramax instead of the usual T-series inlet flange. A -4 AN to whatever those threads are shouldn't be an issue. .

[​IMG]

Here you can see the inlet and outlet for the coolant. They use banjo bolts on the Duramax application. The oil drain uses a nice standard oil drain flange, from the looks of things. It may save me from welding a -10 fitting to the housing itself

[​IMG]

19. Grayguy

Grayguy Well-Known Member

wow, that's really cheap. How many miles are on that puppy?

20. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

I don't remember. It might have a little shaft play, but it doesn't matter since the Powerstroke CHRA I have has mint bearings, and the *should* be the same. Those might be my famous last words though. We'll see when it gets here and I get it apart. I'm just happy it came with the VNT position sensor and an extra solenoid. The solenoids are known to fail.

21. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

If it fits, I'm wondering if I should use the 14 blade turbine wheel of the Duramax unit, or the 11 blade wheel of the Powerstroke turbo. The Powerstroke turbos went to the 14 blade wheel in late '04 too. It might be too quiet for my tastes though. :rockwoot:

22. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

Pft! whatever, that thing is going to scream like mad either way.

23. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

I just don't want the compressor to be quiet when it starts to make boost around 2500 rpm. The whistle in Derek's car is pretty badass.

24. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

The Duramax turbo was disassembled last night. Long story short, a Powerstroke/Duramax hybrid turbo will not work without some machining.

The two turbos are very similar, but very different at the same time. They use the same VNT system, but the turbine and compressor setups are quite different. The Duramax turbo uses a short little shaft with the compressor extending into the center housing with the sealing ring acting on the outside of the wheel to seal the compressor side from oil. The turbine wheel is a backwards step in technology with a straight inducer. The compressor is larger (GT3788) and has 11 blades for higher flow for the extra .6 L of displacement. Their decision to completely change the sealing and shaft design is quite odd though.

The turbine wheel is surprisingly short, with more blades. The lack of curvature on the inducer has me scratching my head though. I could machine the center housing to accept the Powerstroke wheel as the bearing system is the same, albeit a 360 degree thrust bearing, but I really don't feel like getting into that business. The water cooling would be nice, but I'd rather not dive in that far.

So in the end I'll be sticking with the powerstroke center housing, but I might keep the vane position sensor. I'll probably rebuild the Duramax turbo so I can at least get my money back on the thing.

Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One area if interest is the advanced aerodynamics of the compressor backing plate. It is tailored to a specific position of the compressor, and isn't really meant to be clocked. However, the backing plate is cast to suit this specific application directly, as seen my the shape of the surface.

[​IMG]

25. T-REX5000

T-REX5000 Well-Known Member

this thread should be renamed "pictures of a whole bunch of disassembled turbos"

26. fobiawrx

fobiawrx Fabiola

are those hooker cards in that mug i see? what a perv

27. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

It's a mug from Mabel's Whore House in vegas. Someone got it for me and filled it with hooker cards when they were down there. Where else would I put it?

28. fobiawrx

fobiawrx Fabiola

wow.. all i can say is wow.... and perv...

29. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

that from the guy who spotted it and knew what it was ;)

30. fobiawrx

fobiawrx Fabiola

hey! i might have a tin can full of them... but this is a "family forum"

31. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

So anyone who has a Matco or Snap-On calendar in their garage is a perv?

32. fobiawrx

fobiawrx Fabiola

smut cards sir...

33. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

Tonight I test fit the EJ20K camshafts and checked the valve lash. Only one shim needs to be adjusted, FTW.

Notice the longer duration and different overlap of the EJ20k cam on the right. THe cams are out of a STi Version 4, I think. I would like the Spec-C cams of that vintage, but they are hard to come by. Also, the 20K cams don't have offset lobes. The 25D cams have offset lobes, and on the exhaust cam, the lobes have different durations for each cylinder. Good riddance.

One of the cams I had to have repaired by Delta Cam. I bought them with one of the bearing journals torn up. $35 fixed that, and now I have turbo cams. N/A cams suck for boost. Waaaay too much overlap means lots of boost, fuel, and air blown straight into the exhaust. Your wideband says you are leaner than you really are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've got this next week off, so I hope to make serious progress in the next five days. Motor and tranny in the car, and work on the pipe set. I can finally put my turbo back together (after a $50 thrust bearing), and get crackin. Then fuel system stuff and wiring. We'll see how far I get and what hangups come about.

34. Grayguy

Grayguy Well-Known Member

Good update! I should really start looking for a set of these cams for my motor. Where did you get yours?

35. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

It was a stroke of luck on NASIOC. A gentleman over there had a set of 20K heads and cams that had torn up one of the cam bearings. I got the cams on the cheap and sent the bad cam to Delta for repair.

If I would have had the funds two months earlier, there were two sets of STi Version 4 Spec-C RA cams for sale.

36. fobiawrx

fobiawrx Fabiola

why didn't you just by a set of wrx heads for 200?

37. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

Larger ports and an intake manifold with a larger plenum. Also, I already had injectors that work, along with a throttle body. Not to mention the crank and cam triggering.

Basically, I was already set up for these heads and associated BS.

Down the road, who knows what I'll do. I can run anything with the Link. Even a LS7 ;)

38. blake

blake Well-Known Member

LS7! Mounted mid car! Do it.

Looking good piddster. I'm still kicking myself for not getting that rotated setup by the way. But alas, rent comes first. For now anyway...

39. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

Trans is in the car, for good. The turbo CHRA is also assembled and ready for media blasted housings. I had to weld a -10 oil drain fitting to the center housing before I could assemble the CHRA.

I spent half of the day running all over the Twin Cities, so I couldn't get the motor buttoned up and in. I did remove, clean, and reinstall one cylinder head though. Long story....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

40. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

[​IMG]

41. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

Eli, ........, nevermind.

42. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

Trying to diagnose other cars means less time for mine. I still got some work done though.

The cams are all buttoned up and what not. I ran into an issue with the EJ25D coolant hard pipes. The EJ22T runs a smaller tube over the top of the head which connects to the throttle body and coolant expansion tank, and runs a larger tube under the head for the heater core. The lower tube does not fit the 25D head without modifying the brackets. I could have done that, but I had other ideas.

I decided to mount a WRX expansion tank where the AC compressor was. I would have had to run a hose from the back of the motor to the front for the tank, but that would be lame. I cut apart the smaller EJ22T tube and reworked it to run straight up to the tank. It worked out pretty well I think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also went to Fobia's to do some cleaning last night. I wasn't feeling the black color on the compressor housing, so I took that off. The exhaust housing was cleaned, even though it kinda pointless unless I get it coated. Not this year.

I also had him fuse two flanges together for the turbo inlet, since I seem to have a problem with warping 3" v-band flanges. :dunno: I'm ready to go for reworking the piping, however. Picked up a turbine outlet from Diesel Components for cheap. That place rocks btw.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

43. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

I see his welds have gotten a LOT better ha ha ha

44. fobiawrx

fobiawrx Fabiola

hay now...

45. piddster