t-mobile or cingular?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Speedemon, Dec 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Speedemon

Speedemon Well-Known Member

whats do you guys like about both dislike...and i live in anoka so i want it to have great service there but also other areas too...

2. Squiggly

Squiggly Squiggly

verizon.. ive never had a dropped call because of my phones in 4 years

and if u complain about how much u dont like your phone they send u a new one

3. PRA4SNO

PRA4SNO Well-Known Member

I've got a buddy who works for cingular in minnetonka if you're ever out here. He's pretty good about setting people up with the right plans and pretty good deals as they get paid on comission.

I would stay away from t-mobile. Period. My boss has their biggest plan for himself, his entire family uses a t-mobile plan he pays for, and he also is covering several of the employees at our company. T-mobile's customer service has been horrible for him. Its pretty crazy seeing them treat customers that poorly, especially when they pay around $500 a month for cell phones on their plan/plans.

Sprint has always treated me well. Even replacing my Treo 650 for me with a brand new one after it got a virus through an email I recieved on it. It was a $400 phone new. Just me $.02

4. subaru4

subaru4 New Member

I have sprint and so do 7 other people in my family and we all like it.

5. Steve-o

Steve-o Administrator Staff Member

I have tmobile and it's been great after I got a non-branded GSM phone.

6. bummpy

bummpy New Member

T-mobile has been good to me. I especially like them because I travel internationally for work and it's pretty kick ass to be able to use your phone or have people call you and have it just work. Lots of people I know with cingular get crappy signal.

Plus, you'd be hard pressed to find another carrier with 600 min and free nights and weekends. And another plus is the fact that you can just call them and they'll unlock any of their phones for free (as long as you've been with them at least 90 days), that one is a little known secret.

7. esperunit

esperunit Well-Known Member

I used to work with verizon people all the time. they don't know their arse from a hole in the ground. Generally t mobile or cingular provide the best consumer level services, sprint and nextel the worst. Verizon has mind bogglingly stupid people working for them, this is a company that swore up and down that .002 dollars was the same as .002 cents.

just because calls don't get dropped doesn't neccesarily mean the company is any good. that's just measuring by the lowest common denominator. My T mobile service hasn't dropped a call in 5 years. Its a red herring, only rally bad mobile services drop calls, everything adequate and above usually doesn't, and dropped calls are usually a phone problem not network problems anyways.

8. sidebrake

sidebrake New Member

I've had a great experience with Cingular so far. No drops and solid coverage everywhere I go (with the exception of the downtown Macy's, which sucks because I walk thru there to and from work all the time). The customer service is also great. The people working at the call center are extremely friendly and helpful.

9. AspitFire

AspitFire Well-Known Member

Evan, you know i will hook you up here at Cingular anytime your ready to switch

10. MNAutomatic

MNAutomatic New Member

have always had cingular and nothing else...have to occasional hiccup but they are pretty quick about fixing anything that goes wrong and rarely do I have a dropped call...please keep in mind I am in downtown chicago now with building everywhere, pretty impressive if you ask me. Ask yourself though if you want gsm (anywhere anytime) or satellite (national typically) because that will take part in your decision of phone and service as some are better than others depending on the plan you want to get

11. Speedemon

Speedemon Well-Known Member

when is the next time you are working?

12. webcrawlr

webcrawlr Well-Known Member

If i was to buy new I'd go with the Sprint SERO program. I've been with tomobile for about 8 years now and love it though. My SIM is so old it says Voicestream.

13. esperunit

I had an aerial wireless one up until 2 years ago when I lost that phone.

aerial -> voicestream -> T-Mobile

14. SLoBaru

SLoBaru Well-Known Member

I like my tmobile. No dropped calls in the past 3 years i've had it. sometimes I will have no service deep inside large brick buildings which I think is normal. I haven't been road tripping in awhile but not great coverage in boonie areas going state to state if I recall correctly.

Never had cingular. but was with AT&T before the two merged and it sucked balls while AT&T was still converting to GSM. I would think/hope the new Cingular fixed that by now.

15. bummpy

bummpy New Member

ha, yeah. Mine says voicstream on it.

Actually, the customer service was pretty bad for t-mobile around the time they made the switch and I had to write a letter to them once because I was pissed off over a billing dispute. The funny part about that is that it was actually my fault and all their charges were right. They refunded me anyway. I think their customer service is pretty much above average. They're all basically the same if you ask me.

I think what it all comes down to is do you like their coverage, phones, and ability to upgrade (phones & services). I think t-mobile is better than the others in most those regards.

16. AspitFire

GSM>CDMA>IDEN....voice only not data side of it.

Satellite...well good unless you want a phone the size of a brick, and if you want to pay in excess of $3 a min

17. 99legacy

99legacy New Member

ive seen alot of good things about cingular.... me personally have had bad experiances with them, i have nextel now and wow no dropped calls,

the girlfriend and her whole family have t mobil and they all love it

18. 99legacy

99legacy New Member

i had better luck with at&t before the merger after that it was all down hill from there

19. AspitFire

two diffrent networks, had nothing to do with the merger

AT&T=TDMA
    cingular=GSM

20. bummpy

bummpy New Member

I think GSM is a better technology. Only thing is that CDMA has a more established infrastructure. GSM coverage has gotten A LOT better in the last 5 years and I think is the way to go. But I think CDMA definately has more extensive coverage, mostly in the rural areas (which I don't care about).

21. AspitFire

maybe in the US CDMA is larger (alot of it is still analog) but worldwide GSM has far more subscribers, spectrum, and cell sites. GSM provdes service to 82% of the global market

22. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Had sprint 6 years ago until I changed to a family plan.

Cingular had the best deal on family plans at the time but I was recently dropped because 1 of the lines (out of state) was falling back onto another network for nearly half their calls. Rollover plan was nice, but we rarely used them and ended up with a few thousand. Dropped calls constantly but was likely due to the craptastic phone.

So recently switched to Tmobile since 90% of my calls would be mobile to mobile. Only gripe is they didnt have anything like the cu500 cingular has... the pearl is nice tho (cingular has that now too).

23. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

ive had nothing but bad luck with cingular, my phone broke, i had been with them for 4 years (when they were at&t) and they made me pay full retail for a POS phone that someone "starting a new account" would have gotten for 99 bucks. they were always charging me for features i didnt have, or use......t mobile all the way.

24. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

MIDWEST WIRELESS. No problems ever, good plans, great phone (never get a cheap flip phone, I have the Nokia 6265i)

25. wrxpeed

wrxpeed CobraPeed

Cingular - Statistically has the most customers, the most towers, fewest dropped calls, largest all digital data network, and most reinvestment. Period

Evan, you live in the same neighborhood as me, I've worked for and sold for all the companies. Cingular Hands down is better in our 'hood than any of the others.

Verizon is crap in our neighhood. Most of verizon's new phones are all digital CDMA which has ass for reception near us. Their Ev-DO 3G network is nice, but didn't work past Ramsey for me. That means that picture messaging/internet doesn't work past ramsey on most of their new phones.

Sprint/Nextel is the worst, 'nuff said there.

T-mobile has the same network as Cingular but crappier phones and customer service. Also have less than half the customers of Cingular.

/Thread

26. wrxpeed

wrxpeed CobraPeed

Yeah, that would happen with any provider. Cingular is the only company that allows "exception upgrades". Verizon and sprint both tell you to go suck it if you don't have 22 months of 24 fulfilled in your contract. Cingular will allow it depending on circumstances up to a year early.

Not only that, why would they give you more money for nothing? Think of it as a Professional Athlete. You signed a 2-year contract. They gave you money off the phone, say $200. they gave you that money for the 2-years you AGREED to use them. Now, in the middle of that 2-year contract, you want more money for no more commitment on your end. That's like a pro athlete asking for another signing bonus in the middle of their 2-year contract to play for the team. We all know what the team would say :laugh: , they'd go tell them to get bent and to get their ass back on the court and play for the remainder of their contract they had signed initially.

27. AWDimprezaL

well why would they give me money for nothing? i see it as "we've got you in a contract now, and to to hell with making you happy" thats how i see cingular looking at it, worst customer service EVER, i ended my contract i went with t-mobile, got a crappy free phone, it broke after a year or so, i bought a razor (pos btw) but it costed me the same as anyone else looking to buy one, not 200 dollars more then a new customer IMO t-mobile all the way

28. wrxpeed

wrxpeed CobraPeed

I'm sure it costed the same because you extended another 2 years, and the previous contract you had with T-Mobile was fulfilled so they allowed the upgrade.

29. AWDimprezaL

well i had been with at&t/cingular for 4 years, they didnt even hint at a deal if i committed to another contract.

30. esperunit

Lol motorola phones FTL. Such pieces of crap, and I used to work on them all day.

31. AWDimprezaL

i agree...i hate this phone, but its working for now 3rd time is a charm

32. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

I have used Sprint, Cingular, and T-Mobile. I have had good customer experiences with all three. Nothing to complain about in that dept. The coverage has been best with GSM service (as opposed to CDMA). Call QUALITY was a touch better with Sprint, but coverage wasn't as good.

-S

33. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

Have had AT&T, Sprint, Qwest (way back, might have still been US West), T-Mobile, Nextel. Now on Verizon and 100x happier than before. Their customer service does suck, but I've needed it a grand total of once, when I ran my phone through a washing machine and had to buy a new one.

Sprint was the worst for signal. Nextel was OK until Sprint bought them. T-Mobile was great if I was in the metro area or on an interstate. But once you got outside the signal was pretty much non-existant. Umm, Qwest/US West was an analog phone, so coverage was good, but it was pretty spendy, even for the time.

AT&T can **** themselves. I refuse to do any business with them at any level (and in fact have pulled contracts worth millions out of their hands over the years, and for better service and support at a different carrier every time). Cingular may have improved AT&T wireless, but I still won't do business with them.

My only bitch at all with Verizon is that they introduced the discounted phone after 1 year one month after I paid full price for my new one.

34. bummpy

bummpy New Member

Yeah, I was talking about the US. That's why I'm on t-mobile. Anywhere other than the US, GSM is king. Except for Japan, they're on their own crazy crap that isn't used anywhere else.

While we're on the discussion of cellphones, I'm looking for a new one and don't get any good discounts through t-mobile at the moment. Anybody got any recommendations for cell phones? My first priority is form factor. I want a small phone. I already own a digital camera and an mp3 player, I don't need another one on my phone. I really like nokias alarm clock (it starts off quiet and then progressively gets louder), hands down best alarmclock I've ever had. Something simple with bluetooth. I'm willing to pay out the ass as long as it's nice.

I was originally looking at this one because it was small, sleek, and simple.

[​IMG]

and I didn't even care that it was $400+ but after reading reviews, it sounds like it gets crap battery life.

I was also looking at the slivr because it was small and simple. But I'm not sure I want to go that route. Anybody got any sugestions?

35. tmarc12366009

tmarc12366009 Well-Known Member

Cingular vs T-Mobile

Take a look at consumer reports, or JD Powers and Associates website ranking customer service/customer satisfaction between Cingular and T-Mobile and you find a HUGE difference! T-Mobile and Verizon were the only ones consistently ranking the highest amongst all regions...

Take a look at network quality/strength... Cingular claims to have the "fewest" dropped calls but in all reality they were ranked lower than T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint/Nextel, and also some local regional carriers... Especially in Minnesota.

Not saying Cingular is a bad company or going down hill, but they took over a poorly maintained and underbuilt GSM network in Minnesota from AT&T which has caused all sorts of problems... I cover about 30 wireless indirect accounts selling both and they will ALL say T-Mobile would be the way to go for the best GSM digital provider in the area...

If it is rural coverage, or coverage in a lot of unpopulated areas you are shooting for, then go with Verizon... If it is the best "value" in wireless with the best customer service in wireless then, definitely go with T-Mobile since they also have an established network in Minnesota from 10 years ago!!!

As far as who has the most customers, well Cingular has about 58 million with T-Mobile at around 26 million... But if you look at how the companies have grown, Cingular more than doubled due to the purchase of AT&T while T-Mobile continues to organically grow through an aggressive customer campaign and network expansion...

I don't know about you guys but I can appreciate a company that is truly looking out for their customers while still offering the most minutes in the industry!

36. esperunit

I just picked up a samsung t629 and I like it a lot. Its the one on the right. Compared to dream's blackberry pearl the samsung was the same size when not extended and had a bigger screen. Its not cheap, but not as expensive as that nokia (~250)

[​IMG]

37. wrxpeed

wrxpeed CobraPeed

Faqs????

38. carl

carl Well-Known Member

I have had tmobile for 4 years. good customer service, good call quality in the metro.

few complaints:
    ****ty service inside buildings (have had 4 phones, same deal with all of them).
    sketchy service outside metro areas
    crappy phones available through tmobile

39. SLoBaru

just curious if you were still on their TDMA side of the network? that seemed to still be pretty good while i had it. needed a new phone and went GSM with AT&T. huge mistake. they were gradually switching over to GSM which was real spotty and weak signal.

I think its called HPSDA or something with a bunch of letters. Supposed to be the next generation GSM network.

40. AspitFire

LOL what did you quote there commercial :laugh::laugh::laugh:

41. 99legacy

99legacy New Member

42. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

Cingular > all :)

43. SLoBaru

yep, you got it right. TDMA was the analog side.

44. AWDimprezaL

You must not have read any of this thread, cingular fanboi

45. Tcat55371

Tcat55371 Well-Known Member

I have T-Mobile and hate it....

Have never had such poor customer service from anyplace well except the gas tank I just bought. My v360 phone worked great until we had those storms go thru in the fall. Now I cant use the phone at my house anymore, have to get closer to the freeway to get a signal. I have gone around and around with t-mobile people thru emails and claim numbers and still cant use the phone. I tried a new Razor phone and samething happens so it's not my phone. When I search the network from my house it will find Cingular only until I get out by the highway and then it see's T-mobile. When my contract is up in March I'm switching to some place else. As far as I know I still have open issues with their tech support and nobody emails me or calls to follow up. That is enough for me to leave right there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.