The Damage Done...

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by EggRoll, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Bielke55

Bielke55 Well-Known Member

Is this on topic?

2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

Yes, it was referring to the GF we were discussing she should build.

3. Bielke55

Bielke55 Well-Known Member

No you weren't

K THXBYE

4. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

Bad timing Bee. The law in MN makes it hard for insurance companies to drop you due to a claim, but if you open a new policy (like moving to your own), then they can drop you for any or no reason in the first 60 days. So, they'll be more than happy to help you move to your own policy, then drop you, which will leave you with only the option for "risk" insurance, which will cost you a ton of money, and even 3-5 years down the road, when this accident isn't an issue any more, you won't be able to go to one of the front-line insurance policies, because they don't let you move right from risk to the good policies, so then you have to spend a few years on an intermediate policy before you can move to the "normal" policies again.

If you can, stay on your 'rents policy until this claim doesn't affect you anymore. 3 years seems right from what I recall, but you'd want to check that. Plus, if you're over 25 when you move it'll help on the costs too.

Believe me, I understand the want to be independent. But I went that route and it ended up costing me thousands and thousands over the next 5 years.

5. esperunit

esperunit Well-Known Member

Why would you want to pay your own insurance especially at a time where your premiums are about to go through the roof? Signing over the title is going to be expensive, someone has to pay taxes on it, which is probably going to run another grand on top of what you're already paying for all of this. And after your accident there is no way an insurer is even going to cover you as a new policy. Its jsut not going to happen unless the premiums are sky high.

doesn't make much sense to me.

6. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

i just switched insurance over from my parents name to mine (i am 21), and there wasnt a cost increase at all. I was kinda expecting a huge jump but nope. supposedly i had been on my parents plan long enough where i get a good background (even though i have tickets).

7. EggRoll

EggRoll Well-Known Member

dang, I dunno what to do, I'm just irritated because they didn't have me under the policy in the first place and that's why I want to do everything on my own, I'd have a little more control of situations like this.. They are still pretty pissed at me and I don't blame them but I also think they were irresponsible in the part that they didn't want to put my name under the insurance, so now that everything is over they are ripping me apart about it everyday, and they have already tightened up the restrictions and what not about living at home.

8. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

Your name wasn't even on the policy?

That makes things moving to your own policy even worse. Sorry.

Even having your name on their policy for a short while will improve things when you move to your own.

Insurance is messy, and they're not out to help you. They're out to make money.

9. esperunit

esperunit Well-Known Member

Thats jsut something you are going to have to deal with, since apparently its your parent's car, but they let you drive it, or legally that is what it is. Because of this you pay much less insurance being on their policy, do not suffer the pain of having your premiums go up when bad things happen. Insofar as the "control" aspect you are hinting at, I am assuming that there is probably some difference of opinion between your and your parents on what to do with the car now, how to get it worked on etc. and you'd want it done your way. Fair enough. But if they bought the car, you live under their roof and they pay the insurance i'm sure they feel entitled to having things their way as well.

If you want more control, go buy the car yourself and pay for everything on it. Sounds harsh but your parents are already protecting you from a lot of financial problems related to owning it anyways it seems. If they get mad at you for rolling it over can you really blame them? Its their premiums that are going to go up, if you want to transfer the title its them who you are expecting to pay the taxes. If you are living with them there is a huge economic benefit to this that you're just going to have to suffer through while they are mad about the car. If the only reason why you want it in your name is so your parents won't be mad at you anymore I can't see how thats going to help. They're still going to be disappointed in you regardless and you're still going to chafe under living with them while they're mad at you.

Its not easy to explain going on a ride with a bunch of your fast car friends and flipping over your car as being anything but responsible to parents. If there had been a cute puppy helpless in the middle of the turn and you had avoided it and had an accident they'd still probably feel upset about it.

Otherwise you can move out, get a mortgage and pay your own car payments, insurance etc every month, and believe me it ain't cheap. I don't know what your situation is but most young people cannot afford living on their own and nice cars at the same time unless they have a very good job or their parents are helping with things (regardless of what they tell you, a lot of mom bought WRX's are floating around this club...)

I'd say just put up with them being bitchy about it and in 2 months its water under the bridge. but don't go declaring your independence in a way that could turn out to be very expensive.

10. EggRoll

Like I said I don't blame them for being pissed at me, they have every reason to be. Also, I already told them to keep the money if it's totaled, I didn't ask them to buy me that car nor did I expect them too. They bought it because they wanted to give me something they felt was safer to drive. I said I would pay to get it back if it's totaled and that I want to pay for my own insurance. They are pretty upset about that because it's me starting to be independent, and that's something they don't want (hard to explain). I understand exactly what you are saying and I'm not hurt or bothered by it, I'm just moving on from this and doing as much as I can do about to make the best of this situation instead of crying like a baby and telling them to buy me a new car for being a dumb $hit. I've even mentioned moving out.

11. RallyImp05

RallyImp05 Well-Known Member

bee, here is what you want to do. get your own policy but stay on the parents as well until that 60 day period is up. you will also want to talk about that with an agent before signing up. i payed 250/month for my 05 RS with full coverage under allstates top of the line plan, with 3 speeding tickers on my record. it recently dropped to 150. i would recomend them because they dont to checks on your record after you signup, even if you change your policy or change cars. that is my suggestion for distancing your self from them. i know what it is like believe me. good luck.

12. Cubby

Cubby New Member

Being young (under 25) and trying to get insurance under your name without paying out the ass is gonna be a bitch, and I guess this accident won't help much either. Last time I checked, wrx's are the 2nd or 3rd most expensive car to insure too. There's a reason why you see most young kids put-putting around in fart-can civics and not turboed rally homologations.

I personally have never let the rents buy me anything big like a car - cuz they're asian rents, and it's a given that they'd just hold it over my head for as long as they could (I'd know, because that's exactly what happened to my older siblings - I'm the youngest in the family).

And I really wanted a wrx when I was 22, but there was no way I could make the payments AND pay the sky high insurance too (they quoted me almost $350 a MONTH since it was a turbo car, I'm young and a male :roll: and it would be the first car under my name), so I picked up the 2dr RS for a bargain instead, put everything under my own name, payed everything myself, and have since built it into my own unique wrx... and I still pay insurance for an RS :biggrin: Keep it on the down low though...

Just throwing out more options for you to think about. It won't be easy, for sure, but you just gotta persevere. Hope things work out for you.

13. RallyImp05

i am 22, with multiple speeding tickets on my record(all but one over 3yrs old).
    150/month thru allstate on my 07 2.5i with gap coverage, multiple accident forgiveness, and deductible rewards.

14. EggRoll

Rally-Thanks for the advice, but I was never on their policy in the first place... I already know I'll be paying a lot but I need to get a start some where..

Cubby- glad to hear you know what I'm talking about, and you probably know it's worst for us girls too.

My plan B is out the door, I'm pretty depressed about it..
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hot-...ryZ31868QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    I was gonna keep it a secret till I got it running, but someone got to it first, parts of it are really ugly but that was gonna change in due time. So now I don't have a plan B anymore..Time to think up of another while I'm waiting..

15. driftin240

driftin240 Well-Known Member

You'll find something Bee, don't worry. At the worst, you'll have to find another suby to love. Your's can be repaired, it's just how much time and $$$ to repair it. If you can, I would actually get it to a suby dealer for a final estimate for the engine damage (if any).

16. EggRoll

as of right now the car is at Kholar Collision Center and the parents wanna let the insurance handle EVERYTHING, they won't bother asking them to take it to a Subaru dealership, they believe insurance knows best. -_- If it's totaled I still plan on buying it back to fix to get it through the winter after that I'll be able to actually fix the cosmetic damages.. Hopefully it won't be too expensive to buy back.

17. driftin240

driftin240 Well-Known Member

Well normal insurance companies would say the vehicle is totaled or a "total loss" at like 70% of the vehicles blue book value. KBB retail on your car is $12950, so the total limit would be around $9100. I doubt you did that much damage, but your insurance may seem to think so.

18. EggRoll

bought it at 13,500, last time I checked blue book it was 10,000. Hopefully it's not totaled though.

19. RallyImp05

last time i talked to you didnt you say you hoped it WAS totaled?
    Joe

20. EggRoll

yeah it's been on and off, the positive in that would be that I'd learn more about the car if I were to fix it, the negative is that it'll be a money pit for me. I was planning on buying a car for a swap but since it's gone I don't want the precious to be totaled. >_< I didn't want it to be ever.

21. RallyImp05

lol well good luck...

22. Dynapar

have heard anything about the mechanical stuff? like is the motor still good?

23. EggRoll

nope, still no news.. I'm guess by the end of this week we'll know.

24. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

^Thats like four days yo!!!

25. Cubby

Cubby New Member

26. Dynapar

^ you see that they said possible bad motor in that one right?

27. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

pretty much awesomeness with that TS waggy... bigger turbo time then :)

28. EggRoll

tooo much..>_<

29. Dynapar

bring back the white GD wagon!!!! (w/ pink calipers)

30. RallyImp05

no they didnt, just possible bad turbo or wastegate...

31. flstffxe

flstffxe Well-Known Member

as far as the engine goes, if there is a hole in the oil pan DO NOT turn it over or try to start it. If you do you risk getting dirt.... in between the cylinder walls and pistons and scoring them. find some one with a lift pull the pan and spend some $$ on a lot of parts cleaner and hose the inside of the engine out. Recoat the internals with a good penetrating oil/lube... new pan, add oil and it should be good to go. only time I would condemn the engine is if it was running without oil or upside down for a minute or more. when one is cleaning out the internals pull a rod cap or two and look at the bearings, this will be a good indicator if any dirt made it into the oil system. You can argue the value of the car with the insurance company to. if they low ball the value, you can dig up cars of the same year for sale in the area of similar condition to yours. past and present sale are good just pick higher priced listing from car soup, auto trader print them and give them to the adjuster. Keep in mind they go by book value not market value. but by all means don't take the 1st offer.

32. Dynapar

Bee... its the end of the week have you heard anything?

33. callaesthetics

callaesthetics New Member

I Feel your pain!!!!! Because a similar event happenend to me about 2 months ago.
    Car flew into the ditch.....then flew back out. Front all messed up, rear quater panel swung around and struck a light pole. If it wasn't for insurance...i would have lost an arm and a leg trying to repair it. But it's back now and WOW, Raymond Auto Body did a fabulous job, looks 10X's better than when i first bought it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like white cars love going off road, eh.

Looks fabulous now, hope it works out for you.
    (Pics taken by Fuji)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

34. callaesthetics

callaesthetics New Member

oh yeah, at first i thought the engine was gone because fluid started gushing out from below. It was dark out and i couldn't tell if it was oil or coolant. It was only the radiator that got damage, and besides the fluid was traveling a bit quick so it couldn't have been oil. Airbags also deployed. The damages doesn't look major, but you wouldn't believe how much it ended up costing.

35. EggRoll

Holy cow! I'm happy to hear it's all fixed and okay.^

As for the news on my car, my step dad finally called and told them to move the car closer to home so that we can get access to it easier. They said they were moving it to Coon Rapids, but my step dad said they minus well move it around the Roseville area around where we live. Anyhow, I don't think it's totaled since they sent us a new insurance policy still with the Subaru on it but this time my name will be added to it! =] Insurance for my Subie went from 400 for six months to 600 for six months. So I'm giving my parents 500 every month, 400 for the car and 100 for insurance. =] They are still pissed and I don't blame them, but now I feel a lot better paying for my own insurance and car.

36. EggRoll

All that sounds like a good plan, cept for arguing with the insurance. Since I wasn't on the policy to begin with I have no control of it, and my parents are push overs so they won't fight for anything. They pretty much think that we are suppose to make it up to the insurance company for some reason. I tried explaining to them that they pay for insurance for a reason..didn't work too well.. weird...

37. flstffxe

flstffxe Well-Known Member

some folks are just like that, working at Indian Motorcycle I had several crash bikes where the customers took the 1st offer even after telling them they could have gotten more and others would put up a huge fight for $500. You are right you pay insurance for a reason. Whether that reason be your fault or not you pay them to be there for you when you need it. most shops will work with the insurance company to get it fixed right by resubmitting for amendments to the claim for newly discovered damage just pick one with a good reputation that will work for you not the insurance company. Best of luck on the results of the claim.

38. EggRoll

Update on the precious: TOTALED.
    I plan on buying it back ONLY if it's under 1,800.
    From there I got three options...
    Swap< GC? It has to be White.
    Rebuild< A money pit to throw myself into. Good learning experience.
    Part out < There really is nothing to part out, but the wheels on the car are worth 1,100 bought this summer. Pioneer deck, BOV, HIDs. Plus I think I want to take out the seats and leave it around the house for seating. Most of the rest if crap, there is more body damage than we can see in the pictures from before. I'll post the new ones later.

39. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry... It sounds like you've got a good idea of what you want though, keep us updated.

40. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

If they're totaling it out given the light damage visible, the frame is probably tweaked, and it's probably best to leave it be then.

Too bad you want white, as I'm thinking more and more about selling my black 02 wagon.

41. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Buy it and paint it!!

42. EggRoll

How much? I love white, but black is second. I'm not a fan of colors.

43. EggRoll

I'm going to try to get them to fax a list of all the damages that need to be fix for the reason of the total. I think it's mostly body, my main concern for rebuilding is the frame and windshield.

44. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

Wow, I can't believe they totaled it!! :( I'm so sorry Bee!!

45. rallyracer

rallyracer New Member

On one of our Road Tour we had a noob total out his car and his GF had to hair lifted to the hospital.