The Foz

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by JaloP, May 4, 2020.

1. JaloP

JaloP Active Member

There's a little backstory behind this but we'll start here for now and see where it takes us.

I've been looking into this clean looking Foz for a little while and am semi hesitant to pull the trigger. There are definite pros and cons that I've been trying to work out. Without getting into a big explanation, it would suit the family better (being auto, and various other reasons), so my wife's definitely on board. However it would take time I currently am short on at the moment.

From a purely subjective point of view, what are some of your opinions/experiences with some of these projects. Yeah, it's very general but roll with it. ;)

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

What are your plans for it? Run it until it dies? Motor swap? Pimp My Ride version?

3. JaloP

JaloP Active Member

Well, I have big plans, medium plans and little plans... Or ideas I guess. The OG idea is to 6 swap it and call it good. It's clean and with a freshish engine it could be a fun trusty car that will last quite some time.

The bigger plan involves lifting it, wheels, tires, yadda, yadda... That comes with more complications in that my wife is all about "if it's running, why do you need to work on it?" Sorta deal. So that one is more of a dream that may work out someday.

The smaller plans are to just put a known running 4 banger back into it. But that would be boring, not just the idea of it, but also boring to drive. :)

My problem is that I have a one track mind. So I have the potential to get consumed especially with a car sitting in my garage staring me down. So I'll have to remember that I have a family and house projects and stuff like that. That's my concern that plays into my own personal decision though.

I would just need the necessary H6 bits. Ideally I'd buy one off of my brother but getting it out here from Pennsylvania is the issue. We don't have plans to go out there this year and I don't think he's willing to drive it out himself. I could source a JDM one with lower miles and just try to find the harness, rad and whatnot.

So I guess to answer your question @tangledupinblu, motor swap;)

tangledupinblu likes this.
  4. tangledupinblu

Love it...long story short, MOAR POWAH!! Lullz

5. JaloP

JaloP Active Member

Uh yeah basically.

6. JaloP

JaloP Active Member

7. JaloP

JaloP Active Member

Well, I lost my garage camera so I'll have to see if I can dig through my phone pictures in the meantime.

I got the Forester as evidence from the above photo. I also managed to snatch up a fairly well maintained 3.0 Outback that @Chux was kind enough to point me towards. It has been a very slow process thus far, mostly because summer's get out of hand and work has been pretty draining, leaving zero motivation for this project.

As it sits currently, the engine bay is pretty much empty (engine, rad, a/c condenser etc...) and the interior is gutted up until the back seats. I have pretty much all of the wiring expose I just have to pull the rest of the random bits behind the crash bar and then I can start pulling the harness.

The outback is currently in the same shape I brought it back in. It's currently sitting in my father-in-law's shed in Hayward WI waiting for some attention.

My goal is to pull motivation from some unfortunate passerby and get most of what I need from the Outback. We're going to hopefully be spending most weekends at my in-laws for bow season where I plan to work on the car during the day and hunt the evenings.

I would like to have both harnesses out before it gets too cold so I have something to do this winter...

Wish me luck?

8. tangledupinblu

Good luck!

JaloP likes this.
  9. Nic Wiederhold

Nic Wiederhold New Member

OMG how many times have I heard this... LOL. Although, I guess I sorta deserve it. I'm a bit of a serial offender with projects. Good luck to you. Looking forward to your pix!

10. JaloP

JaloP Active Member

Ha! Thanks. She's actually pretty on board with this right now which makes it fun. Making design suggestions and whatnot