The Official Oil Thread

Discussion in 'DIY Instructables' started by JanglinJamie, Jun 30, 2008.

1. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

Mobile 1 evaporates like water.

2. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Well-Known Member

yes it does. im going to switch to rotella

deegee, what kind of car were you driving?

3. deegee

deegee Well-Known Member

I ran the Amsoil 5w30 in my 05 sti, with cai, tbe, and tune. When i bought my 02 this summer [built block 35r build] the PO said he always ran Royal Purple because he had access to it at the shop he worked at. After I saw the cost of that crap and saw some evaporation I asked around to see what other were running, then switched to Rotella T6.

4. TheSnowman

yeah like you ive heard alot of good stuff about rotella 5-40 t6 so i think im going to be putting that in from now on. only thing that worries me is that i was under the impression that rotella was more aimed towards turbo diesel, trucks, and tractors. but i may be mistaken.

5. xveganxcowboyx

xveganxcowboyx Well-Known Member

FYI it's currently on sale at Autozone. $20 a jug.

6. TheSnowman

good to know thank you.

7. deegee

deegee Well-Known Member

Thats the exact same thing I thought too. I run the conventional Rotella 15w40 in my duramax [thats what all the diesel forum people preach] and was hesitant to try T6. However the mnsubaru community has yet to steer me wrong so I don't think you'll regret the change.

8. TheSnowman

yeah seems rotella t6 is highly liked on nasioc as well. they say it may eat cats up also but most over there say its not much to worry about... anyone experience this?

9. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

I'm running it in my car. At 3k I have the same oil pressure as I did when it was new.

10. KRYPTO

KRYPTO New Member

Anyone run or ran Kendall? I run that in my Focus and was thinking the same for the legacy.

11. W02RX

W02RX Well-Known Member

A new dimension to the oil discussion... I got a surprise today getting my oil changed at the Subaru dealer. I didn't get around to picking up the Amsoil I usually have them put in, so I said do the Mobil 1 instead. I advised them to make sure and give me the leftover 1/2 qt for my use later on.

The 1/2 qt I got back was "Subaru 5w 30 Synthetic" in a brown bottle, made by Idemitsu.

I haven't done any digging yet, but I wonder how this compares to others? Any info is appreciated.

12. pattertj

pattertj Member

Pics? I am intrigued.

13. W02RX

W02RX Well-Known Member

14. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

If you ever need to pick some up give me a heads up. I can get it for cheaper than the local store, it usually takes 2-3 days to get it shipped to my house. I also know Russ (WRX1) is an AMSOIL dealer if I am not around.

15. RichZilla

RichZilla Well-Known Member

So after reading this entire thread from beginning to end, as a long time Mobil1 user, it seems like there's nothing really bad to say about using M1 unless you are experiencing the oil-loss scenario? No one is saying that the oil doesn't lubricate well, or that they believe it caused any particular damage, right? I do understand that if the M1 is disappearing on you, switching may be a good idea. I'm just trying to decide if any of this info warrants a switch in my garage. I've been running it in EVERY single engine I own and have been very pleased with the results.

Also, after reading this thread I was paid a visit by Captain Hindsight, and I think my RSX was using a more than average amount of oil between changes. Now I wonder if this would have been different with a different oil? I always chalked it up to having 190K+ miles and shifting at 8600rpm every shift ever since I got the 2nd oil change in it. Then I had a strange string of events that started with a crusty o-ring in the valve cover around the coil-on-plug and ended with the spark plug coming out the exhaust pipe. It had nothing to do with the oil failing, that's for sure. When I took it apart everything else looked like new. Camshafts and bearing looked like they were still on their 2nd oil change.

I've got an '09 STI that I bought new and I was intending to continue using M1. From what I gathered in this thread, that should be just fine unless I start seeing an unreasonable loss of oil between changes, right? I just don't want to have to keep a bunch of different oils on the shelf. It's been really nice just stocking up on one flavor and having lots of it on hand.

Now if only they made bacon-flavored synthetic motor oil...

16. tank1987

tank1987 Well-Known Member

Runing Royal Purple 5w30 Synthetic. Anyone else useing it? Anyone a dealer for this?

17. BugIedIzzy

BugIedIzzy Well-Known Member

2.0 blew with amsoil in it!! ran it for a long time.. but its probably not the oils fault it had a lot of miles but i never had an oil leak and never had oil magically disappear. I don't think i ever had 2 add oil either

18. Mr.Tran

Mr.Tran Well-Known Member

I haven't had any experience with anything besides Mobil 1 (in my other cars) and Amsoil. I definatly would suggest amsoil to anyone.

19. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

My suggestion to you would be to contact subytek at Morries MTKA about that. He's seen alot of engines, and he has some choice words for M1.

20. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

I ran M1 in my 07 WRX when it was new. Never had a problem with it burning off. I did notice it would get really thin by the end of the 3,000 miles tho.

I switched to Royal Purple for a few months, and got sick of paying for it.

Then I went to the Rotella. Never looked back.

21. Subystar

Subystar Active Member

So I don't really have the space to do my own oil changes so I decided to bring in my own oil. The guy he says sure they will do it but he recommends redline or amsoil. Says that the amsoil won't hve the breadown that rotella does and that with amsoil I could go 6k miles on the oil.

I kinda debated a little and mentioned the banjo bolt issue and blown motors but he just says its because people are using crapy oil... he made it sounds like rotella is crap and told me to do some research....

Everything I have read about rotella has been outstanding. I guess I'm confused as to why he is saying this. His first response when I said rotella was. "Oh is it a deisel?"

Meh this is my first oil change with this car so I plan on sending it in for analysis after 3.5k miles.

22. readymix

First question, is he an Amsoil dealer?

23. readymix

Let me elaborate. Have you looked at the cost per quart for Amsoil? If he's selling this stuff, he likely is going to tell you ANY other oil is crap. Because he if you pay for his Amsoil, you're going to pay him alot more revenue than if you bought a 4 quart bottle of Rotela. Second, with the cost of Amsoil, you're going to get some serious denial talk from a user. If I paid 10 dollars a quart for my oil, of course I'd tell you all other oils are crap. Because if I said otherwise, I'd make myself feel like a jackass for buying expensive oil. Amsoil is good oil. But there are other great oils out there that you could also use. It's really up to you, but Rotella isn't crappy oil.

24. Mr.Tran

Mr.Tran Well-Known Member

I love Amsoil but if you change your oil regularly you can run quite a few different brands of oil just fine.

25. Sube FX

Sube FX New Member

What weight do you run in the winter?

26. El Scorcho

El Scorcho Active Member

Great info, might have to give this Rotela a shot. People still running with it?

27. SubieFinest

SubieFinest Member

Pennzoil Ultra synthetic 10w 40

28. SubieFinest

SubieFinest Member

29. gc8

gc8 Well-Known Member

Alright, dumb question...

When I change my oil, I buy the 5+ jugs so I always have a little bit left over. I've been saving them all and now I have enough for a full oil change...but over the past year, I've gone to a few different brands. I've saved the extra from each change in one jug, but will it matter if it's a mixture of a few different brands? It's all 5w30. My gut feeling is telling me it doesn't mater because it's all fully synthetic oil...but I figured I'd rather be safe than sorry.

30. AWDimprezaL

I wouldnt have a problem using it in a beater, not a turbocharged vehicle though. Dont do it.

31. gc8

gc8 Well-Known Member

Good to know...glad I asked.

32. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Worst idea ever.

Ever oil has a detergent package and every oil has lubrication package. Most oils use their own blends of those packages, so mixing oils is not a good idea. Even using different kinds of oils on each change is a bad idea.

Every oil leaves deposits. Every oil has some kinda of detergent package to help remove deposits. You start running into issues when certain detergent packages start breaking up oil deposits. If said deposits are large enough, these deposits will be floating around in the oil until it makes it into the filter.

Russ

33. gc8

gc8 Well-Known Member

I don't think it's the worst idea ever, but I get it....don't do it. Good to know.

34. cloudpost

cloudpost Member

Okay, so when I bought my car the previous owner told me to never put synthetic oil in it because his tuner (kevin at garage tuning) told him it wasnt good for the engine. He said he did it anyways and the engine blew. Since the rebuild he has only used regular non synthetic oil.

Now I have always used synthetic oils on my previous cars and feel guilty not giving my subie the same treatment.

Is there any rhyme behind this reason?

Build:
    Wrx Motor w/ 2.1l Stroker Kit
    VF28 Turbo
    JDM Sti Pink Injectors, 550cc
    ACL Bearings
    ARP Studs
    Eagle Rods
    Mahle Pistons
    Sti Crank Shaft

35. cloudpost

cloudpost Member

And this rotella that everyone is using ... I am assuming its the T6 version?

36. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

Yes sir

37. kongzilla

kongzilla Well-Known Member

Good old dealer oil is what I use. Gets changed every 2800-3000 miles. Seems like I don't eat the oil either.

38. ofspunk7

Rotella or AMSoil.

I run AMSoil in my 09 WRX, stock motor with 55K no issues.
    My sister is running Rotella T6 in her Bugeye, just like the popular kids.

Both seem to be the oil of choice.

39. 02_Rexxxy

02_Rexxxy Active Member

Anyone know if valvoline vr1 5-30 or schaffers supreme 9000 5-30 are good. I've heard good stuff about the zinc based oils but don't have much experience with them. Anyone care to add to that?

40. hw612

hw612 Member

just picked up a 02 wrx with 132k its got new oil in it but im wanting to switch to T6, since i don't know what oil is in it or if its even the right oil (considering who i bought it from i wouldn't be surprised if its not) is there anything i should do to "flush" the old oil out before making the switch? or just let it drain nice and good? someone said run a qt of atf through to clean it out but that sounds stupid. the car also has new heads if that helps anything... thanks.

41. AWDimprezaL

if you want to flush the engine out, with the engine cold (so all the oil is in the pan and out of the heads) after dumping the regular oil put about a gallon and a half of diesel(or kerosene) in it, let it sit for about 10-15 minutes and drain it, that should get most of the old oil out. (DO NOT RUN IT)

42. Juks

Juks Well-Known Member

I've been running Brad Penn 15w40 in the summer months and switched to AMSoil 10w30 once when I had to drive in the colder months for a couple weeks. Been running great for 2 years!

I run AMSoil 10w30 in my rex with a 257/ACL bearings/mahle pistons for a few thousand miles and it runs great too.

43. ofspunk7

AMSoil 10w 30 for 56k and zero issues

44. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

I have run Valvoline full synthetic in my 05 STI 96,000 miles and no issues. My car burns about a quart of oil between oil changes.

45. Bryan621

Bryan621 Well-Known Member

How often do you guys change oil? Even though its synthetic do you still change it every 3k or do you run it longer?