The Official Oil Thread

Discussion in 'DIY Instructables' started by JanglinJamie, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Mr.Tran

Mr.Tran Well-Known Member

Everyone is different. Some people do 3k, while others do 10k plus. I like to stick to 3-4k with Amsoil even though several people run it longer.

2. issues

issues Well-Known Member

I find my gas milage really suffers if I dont change my oil every 3-3.5k like 26avg to 21avg but thats just my 2cents

3. Bryan621

Bryan621 Well-Known Member

That's interesting... This next oil change I should track that at like every 500 miles and see how mine does.

4. issues

issues Well-Known Member

I only notice it 800 or so miles before I change my oil

5. pbedroske

pbedroske Well-Known Member

Just my 2 cents:
    I changed from Mobil 1 (~10k miles on it :{) to Rotella T6 and my MPG increased from 22-23 to 26-27. I think one tank was 28+. It's back down now (24.8) probably due to winter gas maybe colder weather too. My car has 108k miles and is due for timing belt and other maintenance. It has always gotten pretty good mileage probably because I grandma drive it and rarely hit positive boost.

readymix likes this.
  6. issues

issues Well-Known Member

ive been running rotella for 150k or more

7. Stuck686

Stuck686 Member

castrol edge came out like dark liek crap at 3800 in the legacy i bought. I did the amsoil flush and put in 5w-30 amsoil. should i change weights for the winter? i know alot of people like the german spec amsoil 0w-40

8. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

5w30 will be fine.

9. Stuck686

Stuck686 Member

cool thanks

10. PandaStep

PandaStep Member

So what are your guys' thoughts on adding Lucas oil additive into the mix with rotella? Also think about straight Lucas in my diff and 50% Lucas in the tranny. Stuff seems pretty good in their little display at car quest.

11. wagonsrumble

wagonsrumble Member

Have any of you guys heard of eneos oil? Theyre a synthetic oil specifically designed for japanese turbo engines to reduce consumption. I work at Napa and thats the only place Ive seen eneos oil. Im running it in my 02 wrx right now and Im at around almost 4k on this oil change and have used about 1/4 of a quart of oil. Ill prolly change the oil soon here tho cause Im going in and getting the car tuned and want to have clean oil in the car. I do a mix of city type driving and hwy/rural driving and have been getting around 22-24 consistently, but can get better if Im on the highway more than usual

12. 92x Aero AT

92x Aero AT Active Member

1/4 ton?

13. 007

007 Active Member

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30....2018 WRX. Subaru factory filters. After Amsoils very top grade synthetic, this is the best there is.

14. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Can you post the extensive oil analysis you've done on your 2018 WRX to clarify why it is "...the best there is."?

15. 007

007 Active Member

Standby. I recently did a lot of reading/ researching on motor oils for a 2018 WRX. I will try to find the best article again so you can read it for yourself.

The short version is that Amsoil Signature Series with an additive tested best. After that, the best5W30 for my application was Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. It is a long article but I was satisfied enough with the testing to purchase enough of the Pennzoil and filters to get me past 35,000 miles. So I voted with my own money....and vehicle. It is hard to find though.

A few of the others usually mentioned.....Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Shell Rotella, Castrol etc....also tested well but further down the list for sure. Pennzoil ‘s Platinum Series tested well also.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  16. 007

007 Active Member

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

Here you go. This is the best research I have found and is updated periodically as well. NASIOC also has an updated oil thread/article that is well done. I used these numbers, numbers from Amsoils own tests, and some other sources to settle on Pennzoil Ultra Platinum for the DIT FA20.

I like that it is manufactured from natural gas not refined from crude. I really like some of the cold temperature tests I have seen. It’s shear strength is outstanding and decreases the smallest amount of any oil in the test with elevated temperatures. It does an outstanding job keeping internal parts clean which has been a problem with DI engines.

The manufacturers continuously update their formulas. For example, Mobil 1 had a bad reputation in the EJ community years ago.......the reformulated Mobil 1 is really good stuff. Pennzoil from a few years ago has moved spots as have all the others.

You cannot go wrong with Amsoil. My main problem with Amsoil Signature Series is that they do not pay for the oil certification testing required to get get the “labels” required by Subaru for their engines. (I believe their OE series has all the testing labels attached.). So, even if it tests better, you could have an engine warranty problem. Same with “Heavy Duty” oils. Subaru is very specific regarding oil certification and viscosity.

Rotella, for awhile, was NOT recommending T6 for gasoline engines......but it now officially carries the dual designation and is good oil.....and easy to find.

Modified car owners have to select oil based on the modifications. We are obviously outside engine warranty territory here.

There is not one oil that stands out above all others in every test. The best thing to do is pick a good oil for the application and change it frequently.

My opinion only. But, I have done a little work to get there.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    Fienix, Jnguyen and tangledupinblu like this.
  17. 007

007 Active Member

Also: bobistheoilguy.com is a really good motor oil forum with some great articles on motor oil(s), terminology, certifications and demands of Direct Gas Injection and turbocharging which are both becoming more common.