The Official One Lap of the Twin Cities Thread

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Event Center' started by readymix, Sep 4, 2006.

1. 9blackmax6

9blackmax6 Well-Known Member

im down to do it tonight. as a substitue for the FS meet...any ideas?

2. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

up i was in there with you guys

3. wrexinator03

wrexinator03 Banana Cream

yeah it twas a good time for it only bein the 3 of us...the best was the semi that was messin around with eli lol

4. Andyman8662

Andyman8662 New Member

ok srsly. anybody down for the slowest lap. im talking trying to do 40mph or less with alot of subys that CAN go really fast but restrain themselves from going uber fast. + no tickets!. not that im against going balls to the wall

5. wrexinator03

im down

6. 9blackmax6

start at FS?

7. dman

dman New Member

There's minimum allowed speed on a highway too (45?), you know, and you do get a ticket for violating it.

8. HoLsTeR

HoLsTeR Well-Known Member

when was that? i dont remember a semi messin around with anyone

9. rallyracer

rallyracer New Member

anyone up for a lab today?...like sometime in the next few hours.

10. SubieDave

SubieDave Well-Known Member

I'd be willing to take the tour. I'm going to the spring meet though, so maybe from there.

11. rallyracer

rallyracer New Member

The tour took me around 70min.

I never saw a cop the entire time :)

12. carl

carl Well-Known Member

driving with your eyes closed is dangerous

13. project/driven

project/driven Well-Known Member

I went out thursday night for a nice leisurly run, never under 60, never over 85, usually right around 70ish. It took close to 67 minutes, and I saw several cops including a couple of speedtraps. Gonna be dangerous to try to get close to that 57 minute mark.

14. wrexinator03

holster ask eli about it it was hilarious eli would get on it then let off then the semi would dump it and fly by and let off it was hilarious

15. Andyman8662

Andyman8662 New Member

yeah i know that just whatever the minimum is. dosent sound like alot of people are down tho.

16. rallyracer

rallyracer New Member

You can still get a ticket for doing the Min speed limit too...It has something to do with disrupting the flow of traffic…I had a HWY Patrol officer tell me about it.

No if your car were f**Ked up or something I’m sure you’d get off but 5 cars driving slow just for the hell of it wouldn’t please the cops.

17. pksublime

pksublime Well-Known Member

yeah but we could all lock in the cruise at 50 and call it good
    we're in if it happens

18. Aegis

Aegis TAKE IT!

I wish more cops would ticket people for driving below the speed limit. It seems every time I get onto the highway, the first person I come up on is doing between 5-10 below. YES i know there is a "minimum" - but you don't do the "minimum," or anything BELOW THE LIMIT in the far left lane you f*#($Q) idiots!

Also, why do people in MN have to slam on their brakes when they change lanes?

And why can't any of them figure out that when someone is coming onto the highway via an on-ramp, you don't A: hit your brakes to slow down, or B: speed up to try to "beat" them especially when you have space in the lane to your left to move over???

And another thing. STOP TAILGATING ME. STOP IT. JUST. STOP.

it seems like driving here has gotten a lot worse in the last 3 years or so.

19. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

At least until the second week of April or so. ;)

No quotas, my ass.

20. Andyman8662

Andyman8662 New Member

humm maybe the buick forums would be more interested in driving slow around the ring

21. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Ok, for the 54 minute run, we were definately hauling ass. It was kindof a team effort, we stuck together. It would have been a faster run, but I didn't feel like blowing past a slower car to get around them, and then 494 collapsed to 1 lane for about 10 miles on the west end of town. That screwed everything up. The lady in front of us was doing around 10mph less than the posted speedlimit.

Some tips if you wish to try the speed run:

Have a radar detector...a good one. Like a V1 or something.
    DO NOT ENDANGER OTHERS. If traffic picks up, slow down, don't change lanes like a jackass. This is why we did it at 1am. There are hardly any people on the road, and if traffic picks up, it goes away quickly.
    If you think you are going to just bomb through the whole lap, you are wrong. Pick your speeding times. Long straight areas where you can see for miles are good, and so are winding, city areas. Long sweeping curves and open curvy areas spell trouble...that is the easiest place for a trooper to hide. All they have to do is point their radar at the blind spot on the corner, and as soon as you clear the blind spot, they have you.
    Beware the 61/494 construction area. There are alot of uneven surfaces. Pete and I caught air on one of them right by the bridge. It changes constantly.
    Have a passenger to keep eyes out for traffic, on ramps, and five-o. You need to have your eyes on the road, they can alert you faster since they don't have to concentrate on driving.

Also, I'd like to note, the Matrix Reloaded soundtrack...specificly the car chase song <track 5 I think> is excellent music for this. It's over 10 minutes long of constant electronic, action movie, audio adrenaline. Since that 54 minute run, that song has been affectionately called "The One Lap Song."

22. readymix

Also, a rule we came up with on the original first run...

The lap time starts as you enter the on ramp, and stops at the top of the on ramp. You don't pass the exit and call it good. The road that intersects the freeway is your start and finish line, you have to get off on the exit you started at and come to a stop for it to be over. I forget who was with us that blew past the exit, got off at the next exit and declared himself the winner. I earned that win that night by blasting past the airport and ignoring the calls of "OMG THE RADAR DETECTOR" while I hustled to the Nicolet Exit.

23. readymix

And, if you have the opportunity to go along with me in your group, I have a lap timer with speed averaging and such. It's nice because if you have a time you are shooting for, you can adjust your speed accordingly. IIRC, the total trip is 72.3 miles or something, I'd have to check my notes.

EDIT:
    Google maps says 72.9 miles. Which is probably more precise since mine is based on the CAMP's interpretation of the speed sensor which probably is a little off since my tires were pretty close to being dead at the time.

At 77.8mph average speed, you can complete the One Lap in 56 min and 13 seconds...which is pretty much what our time was. I was mistaken about the 54 min run. I thought it was 54 min 57 sec or something like that. To obtain that time you'd have to travel at 79.6mph average speed.

24. KSAL

KSAL Well-Known Member

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: I like to see this thread is alive again!! As soon as the STi comes out again i will be shooting for a better time than my original 52 mins!! Also look forward to doing the lap with other people.

25. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

I got to drive your car the other day.

Okay, so I just sat in it and made noises like bovz and tires squealing and sonic fireballs. :laugh:

26. KSAL

KSAL Well-Known Member

LOL!!! I"ve been doing that in my wagon for a few weeks now too!!!

27. Flat4

Flat4 Well-Known Member

we did this today and it took us a little over an hour. not really speeding like 65 or so

28. pksublime

i'm totally down for a group outing

29. yangsTa

yangsTa Well-Known Member

We should make this an official outign! 50 Cars cruisin together. :)

30. readymix

That's fine, but don't expect to go for best time or anything.

31. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

yes that sounds like a great way to gain points in the community, lets have 50 cars breaking the speed limit all around the city...count me out.

32. 9blackmax6

im down to go. you guys name the time. i leave on friday though. anyone down for thrusday? or tuesday?

33. pksublime

today (tuesday) works for me if we think the roads will be cleared well enough

34. 9blackmax6

im down. we should do it around 7 though so all the traffic is pretty much gone away with so then we get a chance to really roll as a team

35. pksublime

or later like 10

36. 9blackmax6

i dont care. whenever works lets just do it.

37. subytek

subytek Well-Known Member

Yes, that was insane. I was in Pete's car. All I remember was the engine rpm's spiking and then the tires squealing when the touched back down. Also we were the ones that missed the off ramp.

38. subaru4

subaru4 New Member

how fast were you guys going?

39. BirdtownSubie

BirdtownSubie Active Member

I vote to make this a group outing!

40. readymix

Your vote has been slapped down and had dirt kicked over it by the OP and creator of the OLTC. If you want to get a bunch of people together to do this, start another thread and call it something else. We don't need 30 subarus driving around in unison around the twin cities going for best time. This idea has FAIL written all over it. I refuse to get that kind of notoriety. If you want to do it with a group, go start a thread called "Group Ride around the circle" or something like that. Please don't try to make this thread your official place to plan an event that will likely end up in failure for everyone involved.

41. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

*cough*read a few posts back*cough*

42. 02blubru

02blubru Well-Known Member

well it took me longer then I thought.

I left plymouth at 1130 and got back to plymouth at 430... I may have stopped and fixed 3 tv's along the way... Might have something to do with my poor time.

43. Vorgto

Vorgto BANNED

IDK thats a pretty good time!...

44. subytek

subytek Well-Known Member

Too fast.

45. nm+

nm+ Professional Hypocrite

Unless this is an at speed limit drive (which would be hilarious if done perfectly at 60mph), its a great way to attract cops and get a reckless, racing, or worse.