The Official Tire Thread

Discussion in 'DIY Instructables' started by Scuba Steve, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

They're HORRIBLE IN RAIN. :laugh::laugh:

2. greg donovan

greg donovan Well-Known Member

you get a 60 dollar rebate from the tire rack right now if you buy these tires. too bad i dont need any tires right now.

3. Shane86

Shane86 Well-Known Member

I'm out at a SoloPro school this weekend, i'm just running the gear today, so i've got my personal laptop hooked up here through my cell phone doing some time killing.

i only brought that up, because a couple of our really good drivers from the club tested them vs the toyo R1Rs on their ST civic. The kumho in a 205/50-15 vs the Toyo in the 225/45-17. The kumhos were consistantly .5 seconds faster on a 30-31 second course. that's a pretty big diffrence, and taking on the fact that they're 20mm smaller (just from sidewall measurement) that's really stunning.

But, we did get some rain to, and they both confirmed what everyone else has... they are HORRIBLE in the rain. way slower than the toyos, which are regarded to be the best rain tires for Street Tire autocrossing, followed by the star specs.

My set just arrived at my co-driver's place friday, and i'll be back from Eau Claire tonight. i'm going to try and hook up with him ASAP, and get them mounted on the wheels so i can scrub them in for the Milwaukee Division next weekend and give them a proper test.

unless it rains that is...

4. Shane86

Shane86 Well-Known Member

I just noticed this, and hope you haven't ordered them already, or that you mistyped.
    DO NOT PUT 245/45-17 TIRES ON A WRX!
    they're too tall, it makes the car feel very slow due to the gearing disadvantage.
    i did that once, and the moment i swapped to a better sized tire, i realized what mistake i had made.

The size you want in a 245 is 245/40-17. That matches the stock diameter pretty close.

5. Turb0x3r

Turb0x3r New Member

So i went to tires plus, I have 2 options for all season tires for my STi. It's either Falken Ziex 912 or Bridgestone Pole Positions. I know the Falkens are cheaper which I pay around 730 bucks for everything plus warranty, the bridgestones are more expensive at like 860 bucks which I"m more inclined to get the Falkens. Does anybody have other ideas or recommendations?

6. mnstilynwrx

mnstilynwrx Well-Known Member

I have falken's on my 02 wrx now they are pretty good all seasons. they are a nit noisy and i feel as if they have worn down a bit since i got them..? I have no idea about the bridgestones. GL!

7. KA-T_240

KA-T_240 Well-Known Member

I guess I am not really worried about my car "feeling slow". Its got plenty of get up and go for me as a daily driver, and fun auto-x car. The taller tires well help with a little bit of gas mileage also.

8. Turb0x3r

Turb0x3r New Member

well I just decided to get the Falken Ziex 912's and oh man they are so good..my car feels much more smoother on the road and the new tires have good grip in dry and rainy weather. We shall see how winter fares this year. For those on the fence about getting those.. I suggest to get them since I would recommend them as a good all season tire.

9. xBrian

xBrian Well-Known Member

Yea, I remember Kumhos being bad in rain. I had one set. They were great for dry traction though. But in the rain they were unpredictable.

10. mctenold

mctenold Well-Known Member

Continental ExtremeWinterContact

This tire seems like a pretty good deal at $90/ea (for 205/55/16s) on tirerack.com. I think they're new this season from Continental. (Link to tires on Continental's site)

TireRack wrote up a review on NASIOC, and they came in 2nd (below the Blizzak WS60s).

Does anyone have them yet, or has anyone heard anything good or bad about them?

Considering purchasing...

11. 02blubru

02blubru Well-Known Member

12. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

13. subiedriver4444

subiedriver4444 Well-Known Member

14. mctenold

mctenold Well-Known Member

Anyone ever had any experience with the winter tires Gislaved Nord Frost II's?

I found some that are pretty cheap (205/55/16's), but I've never heard of them. I see they are made by Continental, but that's about it.

Looks like currently they sell the Nord Frost V's, so I'm not sure how old the II's are.

15. ENTICED

ENTICED New Member

bridgestone blizzack ws60s in 185/65/15 on my beater. 4for$120.

16. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Well-Known Member

Installed a set of Hakkapelitta's on my car just in time for the snow a couple weeks ago. Very good so far!!:yumyum:

17. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

anyone have a opinion on the fuzion vri tire? i had a set of hri on my 97 impreza they seemed soft and induced alot of roll to the car. anyone used the vri? i also have goodyear gt's on it now and have had them for about 50k miles they are beat. is 50k average low or hi for mileage expectancy out of a tire that i paid 110 a peice for?

18. dmoo

dmoo Well-Known Member

dont do it, never used the vri but i had Zri's and it was prob the worst tire i ever used. wore out quickly with normal summer driving.

spend a little more on tires then you think you should. they are one if not the most important things on your vehicle. it is the only thing that connects you to the road.

I run Goodyear Eagle F1 all seasons in the spring and fall. love them as far as all seasons go.

19. JasonoJordan

scratch that the link was from a freind but the tires dont fit our car it was a 225/50R16

20. Motorhead

Motorhead Well-Known Member

21. JasonoJordan

22. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

13"?

What size?

23. JasonoJordan

stock 02 wrx 16"

205/55R16

24. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

With that size and price range, I would personally recommend the Kumho Ecsta ASX. Very good All-season tire (more summer oriented) with good wear (30k is average) and its common.

Honorable mention is the DUNLOP DIREZA DZ101. Summer-only tire, quite sticky, but will wear faster than the Kumhos.

25. JasonoJordan

yea i looked at the ASX's looks like ill need to save for snow tires next year if i get them as it dosent sound like they like so much

26. JasonoJordan

my friend also said that the stock size is kinda narrow and that i should try a 215/55R16 or a 225/50R16 will both of these work on stock rims

27. wrexinator03

wrexinator03 Banana Cream

you want a narrower patch for winters

28. JasonoJordan

yea i understand that but 9/12 monthes there is no snow and i would want a larger patch so i think i can deal with that for the other 3 months

29. wrexinator03

get one set of winters and one set for summer, you'll regret it otherwise

30. JasonoJordan

no i dont but ok. well the reason i ask is because the tires seem (ratings and reviews wise) really good. but the stock size is on back order for the next few months

31. wrexinator03

you should be okay with 215's. im just giving you my 2 cents after runnin all seasons all year on my 2 old wrx's. now i have a set of winters and a set for summer and you have no idea the difference winters make and the difference summers make. i know it sucks throwin down money like that but its fantastic, but i had teh asx's and i wasnt a fan at all

32. JasonoJordan

yea i had a set of winterforce snow tires cheap i know but made a world of diff on my 97 impreza. i plan to get a set of snows just unemployed at the moment so if i get them before next year will depend on a few things.

33. wrexinator03

Nothin wrong with winterforces:) good luck with your choice!

34. RexNEffect

RexNEffect Well-Known Member

Alright, time for a noob question. I am currently running my snows on my stock rims, and have a set of Dunlop Z1 Starspecs that were on the stock rims this last fall. I'm wondering how difficult it will be to find some nice summer rims that will fit 215/45 tires? Is it a common size? I'm very new to researching rims/tires and would appreciate any help anyone can offer.

35. Hallywood

Hallywood Well-Known Member

double post

36. Hallywood

Will I have an issue with 245/45/17 on an 02 WRX ?

I don't remember the offset though, it's been a while but I can find out if necessary.

37. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

Depending on the offset, you may have to roll the rear fenders. If its a wagon, you'll have a very difficult time fitting them.

Curious why do you don't go 245/40/17? Its the correct outer diameter. 245/45 is larger.

38. Hallywood

I'm wondering the same thing now. I think that is what I'll do, thanks.

39. psychorunner

psychorunner Member

I just put a set of 245/40-17 on my bugeye. Perfect fitment with RPF1s +45 offset

40. jmyhre05

jmyhre05 Well-Known Member

i like my eagle gt's so far as all seasons, anybody know how they are in the winter?

41. chris-04wrx

chris-04wrx Active Member

I recently had a set of the Hankook V12 Evos put on my 06 and I love them. 225/45/17s, they feel very nice, super sticky, handle the rain well. Best part is they are cheap, would recommend them to anyone that doesn't want to pay $200+ per tire :)

42. BlueBeauty

BlueBeauty Active Member

Tire question, I think this is where I should post :) I need summer tires, and it's between these: Firestone Precision $103 per tire, Goodyear Fierce VR instinct $439 total, Falken ziex 912 $433 total, and Bridgestone Potenza G019 $491 total. Any feedback would be great!

43. asujosh1

asujosh1 Member

What do you plan on doing with the car? Autox? Rallyx? Daily driving to the grocery store and back?

44. issues

issues Well-Known Member

I'm running bfg traction S.S. all season 235/40/17 and after 30k on them almost no wear of the tire it self they handle great wet or dry snow is a different issues there way to wide for the snow and ill be going back to my stock 16's for the winter and for those rims bfg traction t/a are fantastic I could not do a doughnut in the snow to save my life hands down great tire.

45. Argy2010

Argy2010 Well-Known Member

Has anyone in here ran nitto neo gen tires? I am looking for a set of "all seasons" that perform okay in the winter (not sure what that means but ran my stock tires last year and it was horrible!). I have found a pretty good deal on some neo gens and wondering if anyone has used them? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!

or if you know of any other decent tires that won't break the bank, I am open to suggestions. Thanks again!