The Official Tire Thread

Discussion in 'DIY Instructables' started by Scuba Steve, Mar 5, 2008.

1. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

I believe they say M+S on the side of them...I don't recommend them on either. I have run them in the winter, you will get very little traction.

2. Argy2010

Argy2010 Well-Known Member

What tires do you recommend that can be used in winter and summer. I have a new set of rims to put on there but don't have the money to really run a winter and summer set up (Wife is not as enthusiastic about my wrx as I am :)).So, looking for a tire that can pull double duty at a reasonable price. Am I crazy? Or does such a tire exist?

3. Argy2010

Argy2010 Well-Known Member

So, I went with some General Tire Arctics (205/50R17) for the winter. Have heard they are good winter tire. I will let everyone know how they do.

4. PaulasaurusREX

PaulasaurusREX Well-Known Member

Spotted Kevin heading north on 169 in the traffic between hwy 81/30? Couldn't quite spot the mustard wheels from 10 cars back so wasn't 100% sure.

5. W02RX

W02RX Well-Known Member

Hankook Ventus V12 --- Any good? I found ONE other reference to these tires in a search on the board, and the comments were favorable.

Love my Hankook ipike's.

Blew out a stock Dunlop on my '09 WRX and instead of having Tire Rack shave a new one, I might just try to sell the other three and try something new.

BTW I did a search on "official tire thread" because I knew there was one, and it did not return this thread?

6. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

Just picked up a brand new set of tires from discount this week for my "new"(to me) wheels. I went with the Dunlop DZ101, 225/45/17s. So far i have like them. Little road noise, and have some pretty good handling. I was looking for a good summer oriented tire, but also highly economical. So I got away with them for about $575. So far, I have been very happy with the choice, and I really like the look of the tread :)

7. dmoo

dmoo Well-Known Member

225 45 17
    Good year eagle F1 All seasons, bought @ discount tire ~150 per tire
    End of life review

I close to 55 thousand camber worn/rode hard put away wet miles on these and wear bars are starting to show. Bought these after i got stuck in a snow storm on a mountain with summer tires on. They came with decent tread depth, great summer grip for an all season and good snow and rain performance. at the wear bars the winter performance was sketchy at best. The last 15k on the tires they have became extremely loud and i could probably finish the summer on them but they are so loud i want to throw them away.

If the road noise was not there i would buy another set, but i will not because of how loud they are.

I got these the first summer they went on the market so maybe the noise problem has been resolved.

brb shopping for new all seasons.

-Dan

8. TickTack

TickTack Well-Known Member

I crewed for a Chumpcar/Lemons team last summer that ran these down at Iowa Speedway and won. I was really impressed with both performance and how they wore.

I've got a fresh set of 255/40 Hankook R-S3s on a set of 06 BBS wheels for street tires and a fresh set of Kumho V710 on another set of 06 BBS wheels for autox. I've been impressed with the Hankooks so far, but they're really, really slick in the cold.

9. MNSubie22

MNSubie22 New Member

Random Question.....How much power did it take to start breaking the tires loose on your cars? And if you aren't to that point yet, why would you ever buy really nice tires unless you are doing autocross or racing?

10. StartRestart

StartRestart Well-Known Member

I have ~110hp, and they would 'break loose' around any exit/entrance ramp. Put some nicer tires on it (Ventus R-S3) and problem was solved, exit/entrance ramps are no longer a issue.

11. MNSubie22

MNSubie22 New Member

Yikes. I have about 250 at the wheels right now and have only had them slip once ever. How bad were your tires?? Haha

12. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

looking at getting either

hankook ventus v12 evos
    or
    FEDERAL SS-595 92V BSW

both would be in 245 40 17
    anyone have experiences with either of these tires good or bad??

13. JasonoJordan

14. 1_sic_rex

1_sic_rex Well-Known Member

DW is far better then evos and feds...

15. 1_sic_rex

I dont know much about the feds, however the evos are a decent tire. It depends on what you would be using them for. For daily use, Evos are nice. For more spirited driving not so much. I would compare the evo to a falken 512 or dunlop direzza dz101. the DW is a nice sticky tire made for "harder" driving.

16. 1_sic_rex

If you are looking for a great "sticky" tire. Look into the Hankook ventus RS3. As many of you probably know, these are one of the top choices for a sticky street tire. Look for most of our (subaru) sizes to available by june! Some sizes are currently available.

17. ericthegoalieman

ericthegoalieman Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any input on the FEDERAL SS-595 tires? I'm thinking about picking up a set.

Eric

18. 1_sic_rex

If you are just looking for something cheap, then pick them up. However, if you are looking for performance, Do not buy them. They remind me of the falken 512, just a cheap roller tire that is good for burning off quickly. As far as how the hold the road, Im not to sure but what i have heard from my customers if they suck balls under high speed/stress applications (autoX or track days). So if you plan on doing some spirited driving and want a tire that responds well, look for something different.

19. JasonoJordan

i got the DW on my car and they work great. Great wett traction as well as hold pretty well through corners.

20. svxninja

svxninja Well-Known Member

Just got a set of rims 18x8.5 +48 I believe, whats a good size/tire, I have a wagon

21. svxninja

I was thinking 225/40/18

22. 1_sic_rex

225/40/18 or 235/40/18 depending suspension mods.

23. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

You should get 205/45-18 and go for the distended butthole look.

readymix, Thomas84 and Tash like this.
  24. 1_sic_rex

HERRA FRUSH!!!!

25. svxninja

I think 225/40/18 on stock

26. 1_sic_rex

225s are kinda narrow for 18x8.5... move to 235s if possible. My $.02

27. svxninja

What's your wheel situation? wheels size, tire size?

28. 1_sic_rex

06 sti 2225/45R17 michelin pilot super sports 17x8 bronze MB weapon

29. MOsubie

MOsubie Well-Known Member

CURRENTLY TRYING OUT SOME 205/55R16 COOPER ZEON RS3 A.

SO FAR SO NICE, HAVE TO WAIT FOR MORE SNOW BEFORE I CAN MAKE A DECISION IF THEY ARE LEGIT!

LAST SET OF GENERAL UHP COST ME TWO FRONT BUMPERS AND STILL CURRENTLY ON MY CAR A DENTED FENDER AND DOOR.... :(

30. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

fury.jpg

31. Shane86

Shane86 Well-Known Member

Oh this i have to hear... Do tell how a set of tires cost you two front bumpers, a dented fender and a door.

phi11 likes this.
  32. KA-T_240

KA-T_240 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing accidents.

33. Shane86

SHhhhHhhh... you're ruining the fun.

phi11 likes this.
  34. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

Oh, it had nothing to do with you not paying attention? The first OR the second time?

35. MOsubie

LOL, I CAME AROUND A CORNER AT ABOUT 10-15 MPH. SLIPPED AND RAN INTO TWO NEW CARS.

36. Shane86

Fixed that for ya...

phi11 likes this.
  37. MOsubie

LOL, NO I KNOW BETTER THEN THAT AT A DEALERSHIP PARKING LOT...

38. Shane86

OKAY I BELIEVE YOU BUT ONLY BECAUSE YOU TYPED IT IN ALL CAPS.
    I'M SURE YOU WERE IN NO WAY AT FAULT.

Moleness, AWDimprezaL and phi11 like this.
  39. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

YOU'RE RIGHT, IT WAS THE TIRE FAULT

Moleness, shane86 and phi11 like this.
  40. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

:bounce:

41. Moleness

Moleness I can change the internet Staff Member

Just thought I would throw this out there for discussion...

I will be in the market for some new tires this summer sometime. Looking for something that can handle a good amount of power for weekend fun and the occasional track day (drag or road course). Car is not daily driven. Basically looking for a very aggressive street tire, as I only have one set of wheels. Size would be 255/40-17 and budget is around $700ish.

Currently I am looking at Nitto NT-05, Dunlop Z11, Hankook RS-3, or maybe Toyo R1R. Leaning towards the Nittos because of price and good reviews from friends, but wondering if anyone else has any personal experience with any of these, or any other ideas.

Thanks!

42. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on the new Dunlop Z11? Was waiting for spring to get the star specs but those were replaced with the Z11.

43. Shane86

all the early reviews on the Z2s are coming back extremely positive, and that despite the new tread pattern, they are even better in the wet.

I can outright tell you to avoid the Toyos, as they're crazy soft and have next to no tread life.

Nittos have never kept up in the performance category. everyone who's tried them for Autox or RR is always quite dissappointed. but it says NITTO on the side, and tuners ape**** for it because the 555 is a pretty good drag raidial. they never could build a stiff sidewall tire though.

RS3 is a good tire, a little squirmy on heavy cars such as ours, but they love heat. cooler days and early in a heat will not imperess, but otherwise they'll hook up quite good.

Food for thought here, the new BFG Rivals are out, and they did the best marketing move ever, they flew a bunch of the best autoxers and chump drivers down to test them out against last years tires. They smoked all of them, and they wore through people beating the ever loving **** out of them like a champ. Some of the best wear patterns seen on a street tire under those conditions, ever.

You bring 30-40 agressive drivers and hand them the keys to a borrowed car? you'd be lucky to have tire LEFT when they're done, let alone show only light wear.

with all the feedback on 'em being promising, and them wearing as well as they did, i'd say it's a strong contender being priced right along the Z2s line.

Moleness likes this.
  44. Stuck686

Stuck686 Member

so I am looking for a reasonably priced summer tire. I want above avg dry grip but also want them to last at least 2 summer.

I have read a lot of reviews but would love some insight from MN drivers, these are the ones I am debating in 225/40/18. These wont see track time.

hankook v12 (seem to be great but poor tread life?)
    bridgestone re760
    dunlop dz101

45. JasonoJordan

Continental DW

shane86 likes this.