The Official Tire Thread

Discussion in 'DIY Instructables' started by Scuba Steve, Mar 5, 2008.

1. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

well she is not a very good driver so I need to get something that will offer her at least some decent traction in the snow.

2. Shane86

Shane86 Well-Known Member

3. JasonoJordan

Ive used the tires and I would recommend them for her however they do not have them at discount tire in the size she needs. It is her only vehicle so I cant wait to have something ordered in I will need to go with what they have in stock or can get same day.

4. Shane86

It's Sunday, Discount's closed.
    There are plenty other dealers in the area that stock that line. Try Firestone, Goodyear, Sears, Twin City Tire..

If you can get a quote from Discount, most places will match it pricing wise.

5. JasonoJordan

I will.try that in the morning. I'm currently considering the yoka advin

6. Moleness

Moleness I can change the internet Staff Member

7. 1_sic_rex

1_sic_rex Well-Known Member

For normal summer driving the DZ101 does just fine. They do however, wear very fast and do not handle that well under harder conditions.

8. turkeylord

turkeylord Well-Known Member

Still deliberating between the Conti DW and the Michelin PSS

Conti: lighter, more comfortable, $90 cheaper
    Michelin: better handling, made in the USA

9. Shane86

TireRack put them head to head in their testing. This is data from the rack I DO trust.
    some of the road noise, comfort, etc is subjective. but their actual testing data is well supported.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=148

turkeylord likes this.
  10. Shane86

BTW, the PSS have a UTQG Treadwear rating of 300, while the Conti DWs are 340.. so in theory the DWs should last longer too.

11. 1_sic_rex

Never compare utqg ratings unless you are comparing the same brand. Every company has a different formula to distinguish tread wear.

ofspunk7 likes this.
  12. Shane86

13. turkeylord

This is what Tire Rack says about the matter...

14. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Here are some photos comparing the width of these two tires (same size tires on the same size wheels):

Federal 595 RS-R 255/40R17
    Enkei RPF1 17x9"

vs.

Dunlop Direzza Star Spec Z1 255/40R17
    Mach V Awesome 17x9"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took these photos because some people are claiming that the 595 RSR's are super wide (even compared to the Star Specs). They are very similar in overall width (at least in this size), but the Federals have a much more rounded sidewall and the Star Spec's are very square. I think this may actually result in the Star Specs having more tread on the ground for the same overall width. Both are fairly wide tires for their given size.

ofspunk7 and turkeylord like this.
  15. Frogy

Frogy Well-Known Member

Does anybody have more in depth thoughts on the Hankook RS3's, I really liked my RS2's and would love to go Hankook again, my girlfriend drives the car a lot and I'm most worried about cold and wet.

TIA
    Frogy

16. turkeylord

I considered them, and other Extreme Performance Summer tires. I ultimately went with a Max Performance Summer instead, which I concluded was a better choice for a non-tracked daily driver. I went with the Continental ExtremeContact DW.

If you're looking for Extreme-like performance with better wet handling I would suggest the Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

17. Shane86

if you liked your RS2s you're in for a real eye opener when you move to another tire.. the 2s were pretty squishy and kinda low on grip. Better than others, but low on the totem of the EXTREME PERFORMANCE OMG!!!1111111one

The RS3 does pretty poorly in the exact things you're concerned about. Water and Cold. They need heat to really work their best, the kind of heat you generally won't see short of a track. their adversity to cold, generally adds to their poor wet handling.

Wet is pretty much wet, and they are usable in the rain, but you'll find your speed lower than on a Dunlop Z1 Star spec or other tires.

On the cold side... how cold is cold?
    anything in the Max or Extreme performance categories should never be run below 40*, as it will not only harden up and be like driving on dinner plates, but also can damage the compound of the tire itself yielding lower grip from that point on.

18. Frogy

Frogy Well-Known Member

It's funny how many people talk about the star specs, I haven't found them to be great for much of anything, other than they are better cold than they are hot. Maybe it's how I drive tires but I found the RS2's to have good grip and a predictable loss of traction. I really liked GS-D3's on my Miata, but they are way to expensive for the WRX.

19. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Never had the star specs but the new z2's have been treating me well!

20. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

Michelin PS2

21. Moleness

The 255/40-17 RS3's will be going on the STI tomorrow morning if I cant get to it today. I will post up after a few days of use.

I am still tossing around ideas for a summer tire for the XT in a 225/45-18 size. I think that I have it narrowed down to the Dunlop DZ101 or the Sumitomo HTR ZIII...

22. Shane86

Don't consider reviewing the RS3s before the flames in the tread are no longer visible. it's the easiest indicator that all the mold release compound is gone and you're actually into the sticky stuff.

23. Moleness

Noted...I will try to make quick work of it, as the little flames are my least favorite thing about the tires thus far ;)

24. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Nt555 or gforce sport comp2?

25. Shane86

But... flames are fast, right?
    Neither?
    The Comp2s are about a decade old tech, and the NT555s have had less than stellar test results across the board. I really haven't seen a good street performance tire from them in along time. generally better options available.

How about a size, price range, and application, and we can give you some advice.

26. derp

derp Well-Known Member

235 40 18.

Summer only, aggressive driving/occasional track use. I'd prefer to spend less than 800 bucks mounted and balanced.

27. Shane86

ouch. 18s... you can pretty much add $50 a tire over the 17" sizes.
    Dunlop has their new Sport Maxx RT which looks promising.. but i haven't seen any test data come back on it yet. if they used the carcas off the Z2 though, it should turn in crisp as the spring air.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...R8SMRTXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

If you step down a size, there's more available in the 225/40-18 range.. and they're better tires, that would outperform a 235 of lower quality, and you'll find it's closer to the stock gearing, so you'll accelerate faster.

both the RE-11 and Ventus RS3 are available at $192 a piece, so 768 (before shipping).. you'll be a shade over budget, but it'll be the fastest you can get in that range.

the RE11 is the best deal now, as they're closing them out. they're marked down from $244 a piece on tirerack right now. Damn good buy.
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...R8RE11XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

235/40-17 is a really odd size, so you'll find manufactures marking up considerably when they sell them.

Mr.Tran likes this.
  28. derp

derp Well-Known Member

I'm not opposed to going to a 225, 235 is just what's on the car right now.

29. MNGman

MNGman Well-Known Member

This is all I have to say, well under your budget, (almost half) you will not be disappointed.
    Federal 595 RS-R. Don't be scared of the treadware rating, mine have held up as good as Star Specs for the 2 years I've been running them.

ofspunk7 likes this.
  30. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

I wanted these but they were out of stock when I was looking... So I ended up with star specs

31. MNGman

MNGman Well-Known Member

If you are determined, (I was) keep trying. I was told they were 4-6 weeks out. Placed my order 2 weeks after, and I got my tires within a week!
    They should start seeing stock in these in a week or so.

32. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Online Tires had stock of the Federal 595 RS-R in the 255/40R17 size a month or two ago when I ordered mine. They came right away.

33. SCIFIDELITY

SCIFIDELITY Well-Known Member

Just FYI, anyone considering Michelin Pilot Super Sports, prepare to wait for at least a month. National back order.

34. Shane86

Tire Rack has just done testing on the current generation of "Extreme Performance" summer tires.
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=172

TLDR: if you don't drive in the wet, BF Goodrich Rivals. If you do drive in the wet, and don't have a set of dedicated rain tires, Dunlop ZII
    My own testing backs this up.

35. JasonoJordan

I just put a set of 225 45 17's bridgestone potenza r-04polepositions on my brz after I had something take out the side wall of one of my stock tires. They are a nice tire. Perhaps maybe a touch soft turn in for the brz but once you are into the corner I have yet to get them to let go.

36. Dark Wagon

Dark Wagon Member

Looking for some direction on my tire/ wheel situation. My current set up is 215/45/17 Yoko yk580 on some prodrive p1(i think) look-alikes. I have D-specs on 04 STI springs on my bugeye wagon The yokos will break free sooner than I'd like, but is fairly predictable. Tires have around 8k mi. and two of my rims are bent, side wobble. I don't think it would be worth fixing the two rims, if its even possible. I can hear the wobble, guessing the car doesn't like that too much. I live on a gravel road with a long steep hill I get to bomb up and down every day, guessing a summer performance tire would get chewed up pretty quick? I would like to do some auto-x, I live near Winona where they hold events!
    I have been looking for a set of snow tires + rims but am now thinking I need to remedy the bad rims and look for a tire that is a bit better all around and just pick up a set of used winter tires. I also want to do some rally x and could use them for that as well. I can't risk a dedicated summer tire because I plan on using this for road trips out west and could run into snow year round. I wouldn't mind all terrrains that are good in the snow to be able to take care of the whole shebang. But I think that would require a 1" lift which I'm not interested in currently.
    So I have quite a situation, probably not just one solution but wanted to hear some experience. Sorry for the long post. Let me know if I can be more specific.
    Thanks,
    Adam

37. MNGman

MNGman Well-Known Member

My .02. (only worth .01) If you can swing it, look into 2 sets of wheels. If you plan to autocross, or any kind of track day, an all season tire will do you no good. You will really chew these up in the course of an afternoon. A good summer only performance tire for one set of wheels, and based upon your statement above, a good all season tire for the other. I don't think you will chew up a summer tire on a gravel road too much, (Federals are cheap anyway :) ) and you won't have to sacrifice your summer driving by being on an all season. You can then swap wheels if you feel you will need the all season for a road trip, or the occasional rally cross.

If you have never had a good performance winter tire, you are missing out. These tires transform a Subaru from a great winter car to an unbelievable winter car! This is the route most have gone, a set of good summer performance tires and set of good winter performance tires. An all season tire is a jack of all trades, it can do a little bit of everything ok, but it will never be really good at any one thing.
    It will really come down to your priorities, figure out how much of the things you mentioned you are going to do, what you are willing to give up, and go from there.

1_sic_rex likes this.
  38. 1_sic_rex

Sounds like you need to decide which direction you would like to go with the car. Once lifted on all terrains, you will have very poor handling (bad for Auto X) unless you plan on swapping suspension as well as wheels when you go to an event. I would keep it how it is and run a dedicated winter set for winter and rally X. Keep your current set up for summer/daily driving and invest in a set for Auto X. If they are indeed prodives which are spendy. Have the wheels repaired and continue use. Anything softer for auto X will get destoyed on gravel roads. You sound like me , LOL trying to have your cake and eat it to! To cover all of your needs you may need to spend some dough to get 3 sets. Take the monies you would spend on a lift at ATs and invest in wheels and tires.

39. 1_sic_rex

Or just Auto X on your cureent set up once repaired. Getting sideways is way more fun then you think. ;)

40. Dark Wagon

Dark Wagon Member

yea, I really don't want to lift it, was just trying to cheat reality:uhhuh:. I worry the wobble will wear out the strut or the tire sooner? I did't think you could use all seasons for rally x? The rims are probably not real prodrives- they have the dual bolt patterns. I have noticed several sets of VW BBS rims for sale with the 5X100 pattern, does anyone know much about running them on a subaru? Do they have the strength of other BBS? I've always liked the looks of those?

41. 1_sic_rex

Yes, The BBS all have the same strength.... they have to. Otherwise they wouldn't be allowed on the road. Double check the offset but most of them should work on your car.

42. MNGman

MNGman Well-Known Member

Also check the bore size. (the hole in the middle) I am not sure but I thought the stock VW was smaller than the stock Subaru causing fitment issues.

43. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

IF you want the "jack of all trades", one of the better all seasons that I have run is the Continental DWS. The side walls are a bit mushy, but besides that they grip somewhat well (I started autox and road course on them), they do surprisingly well in the snow, and they last for a while too.

For wheels, if you have knock-offs...they are probably garbage. And please, avoid rotas for a new set. I'd check out Enkei wheels...they make some decent looking and strong wheels that are cheap.

44. Shane86

I've seen these chunk really bad when placed on a camber challenged car (most stock cars, espcially mini, etc)
    the compound is just tooo soft to push hard for long.

45. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

I was going to like your post....then I read the bottom half....rotas are just fine...I have yet to see someone around here push their car hard enough to break a wheel. Lol many other things break before that lol

SCIFIDELITY, 1_sic_rex and ofspunk7 like this.