The Official Watches Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ctracey218, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Ctracey218

Ctracey218 Playpen Wrangler Staff Member

Let's make this a landing page for all things timepieces!

Feel free to post up your collection/interesting watch related news/or general discussions.

2. Ctracey218

3. Ctracey218

4. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Oh nice! Sorry for cluttering your FS thread lol.

Yeah I was interested in Padron too but didn't know if anyone had heard of them. I like the looks and that they are local!

I couldn't see them mention who made the movement anywhere, do you think they make it themselves? If so that is even more impressive.

It would be nice to get one in hand to feel the quality. Pictures never do watches justice.

5. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Nvmd: "The Padron Tessera uses a high beat autowind platform based off of the ETA 2824-2 and is capable of chronometer-grade performance and COSC certification. Features include a high-beat rate, a microadjuster on the balance bridge, and bidirectional automatic winding design and a hack lever. Each Tessera is adjusted in three positions before shipping."

That is the same ETA movement found in Hamiltons and other watches! I would seriously consider buying one of these.

6. Ctracey218

No worries on my thread :p

Why dont you buy one and report to the group ;)

The video was really interesting to watch him basically build the movement from the ground up.

7. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

I just might buy one...but I have saved the money for my impending engine build...
    At $500 though its not too bad for a nice watch.

8. Ctracey218

Maybe there are some floating around on WUS forums.. That's my go to now for deals on watches.
    Like buying a car from an enthusiast, it is nice to buy a watch from someone who also was passionate about it. Typically means it was kept in high regard and great shape.

Nhibbs likes this.
  9. Moleness

Moleness I can change the internet Staff Member

Sometimes I wear a (Fossil) watch when I get all dressed up...then I find myself pulling out my phone to check the time anyways, lol. Watches aren't really my thing, but I can appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into a good one.

xodad2 and Ctracey218 like this.
  10. Ctracey218

So, not saying I would ever go for it (well, maybe someday when I'm rich and famous) but my boss today came in and let me wear his brand new no date sub he bought down in the cities this weekend. There is something odd about wearing a 7k dollar watch ha

11. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with Rolex's, but they are a bit too cliche for me. If/when I spend that much on a watch, I want something that not every young snobby 35 year has on their wrist lol. In all fairness, one of my good friends does have a Rolex, but he has other tasteful watches as well.

I've got my eye on this one, just not sure I'm ready to drop that much on a watch at my age:
    http://www.omegawatches.com/collect...h/co-axial-chronograph-4425-mm/31130445001002

Ctracey218 likes this.
  12. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

I agree, I have never been a Rolex fan for whatever reason.
    Omegas are nice but I have always loved TAG since I saw this watch in some magazine in high school. Its all belt driven and only costs like $70k...lol
    http://us.tagheuer.com/en/monaco-v4-watch
    [​IMG]

13. Ctracey218

14. Ctracey218

Bought a new daily driver

This is my first "Modded" watch..

13822563914_fd565a34a5_c.jpg

This is a mod based on the SKX007 using a dial similar to old pilot watches. It features a Roman/English day and date display along with a 12-hour GMT bezel which can be used to display a second time zone. The watch is powered by Seiko's workhorse 7S26 automatic movement (no batteries needed) and comes with a screw down crown.

It has been worn carefully in rotation with other watches in my collection. It is in excellent condition with virtually no signs of previous use on the case. It will come in this very robust aviator strap from the UK equipped with two rivets (in keeping with the old aviator theme). The stealth second hand is very nice to look when sweeping at and complements the orange minute hand well - it aligns perfectly with the inner ring as if it were floating, showing elapsed seconds. It's quite a looker and gets a lot of compliments.

Watch dimensions are as follows:
    Case diameter - 43mm
    Bezel diameter - 40mm
    Lug to lug end - 46mm
    Lug width - 22mm
    Thickness - 13mm

9324141837_502fe23088_c.jpg

15. MNGman

MNGman Well-Known Member

Since this is here, anyone know how to get a battery replaced in a Fossil watch? I made the mistake of removing the battery to purchase a replacement, and lost the battery.
    I haven't had good luck tracking down the model of battery needed.

16. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Any jewelry store, Macy's, etc should be able to put in a replacement battery.

Chris - nice pickup! I've been a fan of aviator watches, always very classy.

Ctracey218 likes this.
  17. Ctracey218

I would say bring it to a Fossil store and let them do it.
    Otherwise, I would say google is your friend here to figure out what batt # goes into that watch

18. iridium7777

iridium7777 Well-Known Member

The movement is based on an ETA, so I highly doubt it's anything remotely swiss and is most likely the chinese mimaya version, or something similar.

Swatch made a big swirl by stopping selling ETA ebauches to non-swatch companies, which in part is why you see so many middle tear brands coming out with in-house movements.

these guys are not swiss though, they do highlight one specific model that comes with an eta, but eveything else i'm pretty sure would be china based.

19. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Thank you for setting him straight...assuming that he wasn't joking.

Nate - search for watches with ETA movement...you will find plenty non-marquee brands that offer quality ETA movements in a reasonably priced package.

Although I am a fan of Hamilton's myself, especially their new H60/H70 movements, which is basically the ETA movement with a longer 60 hour power reserve.

20. alzilla

alzilla Member

Just bought this today:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To join these two in my main collection:

Eterna Airforce Chrono:
    [​IMG]

And Steinhart Ocean Vintage GMT:

[​IMG]

Also have an old 1918 Illinois Autocrat pocket watch that I got from my soon-to-be father-in-law:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And recently sold this:

[​IMG]

So yeah, I'm a watch nerd. Currently saving up for a Tudor Black Bay.

tangledupinblu, Ctracey218 and Nhibbs like this.
  21. Ctracey218

@alzilla Big fan of Tudors.

Are you thinking red or deep blue for the bezel?

22. alzilla

alzilla Member

Good question. I've tried the red on and loved it but only seen the blue in pictures. I'm hoping to try them both on soon, back to back, as well as the Pelagos, to see which I like best.

They may have relatively pedestrian movements for the price but there's something about Tudor's lineup that really grabs me right now.

23. Ctracey218

I hear the blue is stunning in person.. Only second hand opinions, though.

If I was to go buy a Tudor, I would hold out for the Heritage Ranger.

I already have a dive watch that keeps me happy.. Dunno if you have seen the Ranger or not, but it really took it's styling from a Rolex Explorer.

24. alzilla

alzilla Member

The Ranger seems like a good value in the Tudor lineup but the dial looks so flat in photos and it doesn't do much for me. The Black Bays keep stealing my attention. I'm hoping to get over to Wixon Jewelers in the next week or two to check out the new stuff if they have it.

25. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

That's a nice looking movement on the E.R.A.S....I haven't heard of the company before (although I'm not quite that big of a watch snob). What movement is it?

And I like the Steinhart too. I've been very tempted to buy one of their pilots' watches (specifically this one:
    http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/Nav-B-Uhr-44-Handwinding,808.html), but have yet to pull the trigger. How is the quality of the Steinhart?

26. alzilla

alzilla Member

E.R.A.S stands for English Racing AutomobileS. From what I've read, they were a pre-war racing team and I'm guessing this watch was built to commemorate that for a club of owners or something. This has the Valjoux 7734 chronograph movement which was popular across a wide range of brands including Breitling, Heuer, Tissot, and many, many others in the 60's and 70's. In any case, I should have the watch in hand by the end of the week. :)

As for the Steinhart, I like it a lot (wearing it right now, actually). The quality is amazing for the price. In hindsight, I wish I would've bought something a little more unique that isn't such a Rolex homage but it's still the watch I wear the most in my collection. It looks good on just about any strap, is slim enough to fit under a tight cuff, and really durable. I wear it all the time when I'm doing anything moderately adventurous and it's held up great. 300M water resistance is great too!

TMF likes this.
  27. Ctracey218

Well.. The strap collections is coming together. I have been trying to keep the lug width of my current stable at 22mm. It's nice to have a lot of options for my 2 main wears. (3rd one is in the mail ;) )

Leather
    [​IMG]

Rubber
    [​IMG]

Nato
    [​IMG]

Bracelets
    [​IMG]

Watch Drawer @ the office
    [​IMG]

28. cloudpost

cloudpost Member

Nice work drawer Chris. I am a little jealous.

I actually am looking for a a lighter leather bracelet for my newish Tissot Visodate

29. Ctracey218

I have ordered my two leather bands via http://formfunctionform.com/

If you are going to do it, spring for the nicer one $96 vs $48 (I think)
    Great customer service and a great product.

30. sinks88

sinks88 Active Member

little experiment I did with an old invicta I had, Made a custom face/dial....I really liked how it turned out. (I work on the railroad so having 24 hour and minutes are helpful) let me know what you guys think. Making that dial took a bit ;)
    watch.jpg

Ctracey218 and Nhibbs like this.
  31. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Cool! How did you make it?

32. sinks88

sinks88 Active Member

Well, after I took out the movement, I measured up the stock dial and took out all the sequences and BS that were on it, sanded it and cleaned it up. Measured it up and started designing the face I wanted in Adobe Illustrator. Took a while just to get perfect spacing and such....then I just went the easy way out and got it printed on some gloss paper. cut it out and used some double sided tape and attached it to the old dial. put it back in and there you go.....The bezel was from another watch as well.

33. Ctracey218

I really like it!
    One of a kind.

Bummer that the crystal has the day/date bubble and is no longer really "used"

Still, wish I had the patience to do this.

34. sinks88

sinks88 Active Member

yeah, I know right!!! I just saw a guy do a little write up on how to get the cyclops off, but this particular crystal is not an extra piece. I could do it with the other cases crystal tho....just cant find the time to want to do it yet.

35. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

Here's my current daily wear: [​IMG]

I've also got an older Citizen dive watch that I used to wear for work, I need to send it in to Hurley Roberts and have it rebuilt.

My next one will probably be another Hamilton unless something comes up where I can swing an Omega.

Ctracey218, Nhibbs and TMF like this.
  36. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Very nice...appears as though we may have similar taste is watches. My current wearers are a Hamilton and a Citizen...and I'm really wanting an Omega. Can't quite justify spending that much yet though. I'll take a some good pics of my current lineup one of these days.

ShortytheFirefighter likes this.
  37. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

This is my favorite old watch, my dad gave it to me as a graduation present.
    It's a 1969 Bulova Accutron and it was one is the first electric watches before the quartz movements were invented. The skeleton style of this one is pretty rare with the gold filled case.
    It has two electromagnets (the two coils at 12 o'clock) and a tuning fork in between that vibrates at 360 Hz. It gives off a nice hum if you put your ear up to it!
    image.jpg
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  38. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Here is a picture of the index wheel and the jewel indexers. The mechanism is really cool even though it's not an automatic.

39. derp

derp Well-Known Member

my daily wear while deployed
    [​IMG]

40. SCIFIDELITY

SCIFIDELITY Well-Known Member

Cool thread! I'm late to the party, but love watches. I've sold a few off recently b/c it was getting out of control. I buy most of my watches from Longisland watch co. They have lesser known brands, but high quality and very nice movements. I'm really only into Pilot's watches, I don't really care for the diver style. I recently picked up a Mondaine (Swiss Railways watch w/ a Rhondo movement), Also have a St. Moritz titanium, Laco/ Lacher with a Miyota movement, Graf Zepplin, I used to have a gorgeous Dievas Frog style watch (same original Italian Commando watch that Paneris are styled after. It has an ETA hand winder. I was too afraid to wear it and thus sold it.

Edit: I'll post pics and/ or links at some point.

TMF likes this.
  41. Ctracey218

I have been very impressed with Laco.. I can see you do indeed like a Pilot styled watch.

SCIFIDELITY likes this.
  42. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Very cool, I'm a fan of pilot watches myself. I've haven't bought anything from Longisland watch, but I'd definitely heard of them. Sounds like you've had good experiences buying from them?

43. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Ctracey218 likes this.
  44. SCIFIDELITY

SCIFIDELITY Well-Known Member

Thanks, Jordan! I hear you on the Swiss movement thing. That Zeppelin you picked out it super sexy. I will warn you their bands aren't the best (both in looks and durability). I put a Hirsch on mine- it looks amazing and is bomb proof. The grain and hand feel on that leather is top notch.

I have this one: http://www.longislandwatch.com/Graf_Zeppelin_7642_5_GMT_Watch_p/7642-5.htm

with this band: http://www.longislandwatch.com/Hirsch_109002_70_watch_strap_p/109002-70.htm
    They make a black version of that band, I would pick that up at the same time you get the watch. It seriously changes the entire look for the better. Makes it look more like a $3K watch.

Rant over, heavy breathing subsides.

TMF likes this.
  45. Ctracey218

Well, back at it again.. I kind of wanted a "beater" / "project" watch.. So, Seiko was a easy choice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Couple deets on this little guy

SKX031 (7s26-0040)
    22mm lugs so it will fit into my strap rotation very nicely..
    Good patina on the hour markers (vintage feel)

I have a Pepsi bezel ordered and it should arrive this week to swap in for the black.

This will most likely be the last watch for a while.. Owning a rental has certainly been eating up all my fun money lately..