The Official Watches Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ctracey218, Jun 6, 2014.

1. SCIFIDELITY

SCIFIDELITY Well-Known Member

Cool watch. The new bezel will give it more of the classic submariner look (though it obviously already has some of that). You own a rental property now? Also you should see my old car driving around Duluth, I sold it to a young guy from up there. 2011 OBP 5door wrx, gold rotas.

2. Ctracey218

Ctracey218 Playpen Wrangler Staff Member

I have spent a day with a Submariner and it is a great watch.. Which this will never be on par with. But it is fun to pay homage ;)
    I own a rental property due to my girlfriend and I moving in together and both of us own houses. Her's was licensed as a rental, so, it made sense to move into my place for now. And yes, I was supposed to join @DavidPHumes to go pick up your car.. But there was just too many scheduling conflicts to make it work. Sounds like you have an impressive HiFi setup :)

SCIFIDELITY likes this.
  3. SCIFIDELITY

(Sigh) yes, HiFi, is another expensive and loved hobby of mine. One of the many reasons I got rid of the car. Too many drain pipes associated with my checking account...

David's a solid dude and a pleasure to do business with. Next time I'm up in your neck of the woods, as I told him, I'll let you know so maybe we can grab a beer at Fitger's. Please do the same next time you're in the city.

4. Ctracey218

Well, sadly today I am boxing up my Halios Laguna and sending it across the ocean to Australia..

New watch will be preorded shortly there after! :p

5. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

A thread dedicated to watches......Now I've seen it all.

tangledupinblu and phi11 like this.
  6. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

You obviously haven't seen the thread about cat buttholes.

tangledupinblu and SCIFIDELITY like this.
  7. AWDimprezaL

Cat buttholes are much more relevant.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  8. Ctracey218

AWDimprezaL likes this.
  9. AWDimprezaL

Ctracey218 likes this.
  10. Ctracey218

Pffft.. I had my permit (barely) :(

AWDimprezaL likes this.
  11. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

Considering it's on a forum dedicated to Subarus, I'd say we're pushing the boundaries of irony.

Nhibbs likes this.
  12. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

tangledupinblu and Ctracey218 like this.
  13. clajiness

clajiness Well-Known Member

Picked up my Padron Tessera with Swiss ETA 2824-2 this past weekend. I picked the midnight blue dial color. I also decided to spend a bit extra for the Swiss movement, because why not? Loving it so far... It's a sharp watch. Being that Leo designed the watch, and assembles each one by hand in NE, it's pretty cool to support his business.
    IMG_0047.jpg IMG_0049.jpg IMG_0048.jpg IMG_0050.jpg

TMF likes this.
  14. SCIFIDELITY

Congrats on the purchase. We must support each other/ those with WAS- Watch Acquisition Syndrome. Not my style, but a fine piece. I like that it's local. Good on you.

I forgot to post my most recent purchase. Link below. It's the official Swiss Railway watch! Cheap, classy, and clean styling. It's my go to dress watch now. It's also my first mesh bracelet. I must say it's very comfy.

http://www.longislandwatch.com/Mondaine_A627_30303_11SBM_Dress_Watch_p/a627-30303-11sbm.htm

15. clajiness

Would you support a friend with a drinking problem by giving them a case of beer? Thanks. Now I like this one too... ;)

16. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Nice pickups guys.

I'm jonesing for a new watch myself...although I want a dress watch, I also kind of want some sort of diver watch (not rolex) or a watch with some sort of racing history, and with chrono. I kind of like this Tag Heuer. Classic desgin, not too "rolexy", Tag has good brand recognition while actually producing a quality watch, decent price point:

[​IMG]

Ultimately I'd like an Omega co-axial, but their are a bit out of my budget currently, and their prices are becoming inflated.

I'm open to other ideas too.

clajiness likes this.
  17. SCIFIDELITY

Dude Omega Seamasters are sooooo sweeetttt. Looks like they're twice as much as the Aquaracer, maybe just wait a year?

18. Sjogun

Sjogun Active Member

Got this Marathon GSAR a number of years ago, it kinda found me actually. Got it for a steal, and I absolutely love it. Probably won't ever need/want another watch. 2014-10-17 12.04.12.jpg

Sorry for the crappy phone pics 2014-10-17 12.11.34.jpg

Attached Files:

SCIFIDELITY likes this.
  19. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Well technically I could spring for a Omega, but I have a hard time spending $5k+ on a watch at my age. And that probably won't change in a year...but maybe in 5-10 years!

$2.5k for the Tag is pushing it, but they do seem to have quality time pieces, so we'll see.

SCIFIDELITY and Ctracey218 like this.
  20. SCIFIDELITY

So all this watch talk reminded me I needed a couple of batteries replaced. Turns out one watch doesn't run even after trying it with two new batteries. outside of warranty. I'm sure it would cost more to fix than I paid for the watch (~$200). Oh well, time to shop!

Jordan- I hear you, I haven't brought myself to buy a watch over $1000 yet. I'm too OCD and would just never wear it.

Kyle- Nice piece! You're correct, that will likely last forever.

21. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Black?

[​IMG]

Or Blue?

[​IMG]

22. SCIFIDELITY

Black. The blue just seems like too much blue. The black seems dresier somehow too (I think you mentioned it would be your new go to dress watch).

Too bad they don't offer the calibre 5 in a spit blue and red bezel, that would be sexy.

23. SCIFIDELITY

Just ordered this bad boy as a replacement for my Graf Zepplin (watch that died mentioned in post #65). I can't speak highly enough of the guy that owns Watchmann.com. My watch was out of warranty, he owed me nothing, but gave me 25% my purchase because he realizes the value of great customer service! I think with the ETA movement in 'er, I won't ever have to worry about this one dying ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. clajiness

I REALLY like that watch... Looks like I'll be adding it to my wish list. We'll have to coordinate before any meets we both attend.

I like white...

CJF2111.BA0576.jpg

tangledupinblu likes this.
  25. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Looks good!

With regard to the color of the TAG...this watch is going to be more of a daily wearer for work, and most likely some formal events for now. I want something a little unique which is why I like the blue...but that blue looks really bright. I'd prefer something more subdued. I might have to order both to see them in person and keep the one I like more...assuming there are no restocking fees.

The hunt for a nice dress/formal watch is semi on hold. Kinda tough to find a nice dress watch that is classy, but doesn't scream old man. I still like to be young and ridiculous :D
    Not a huge fan of the white face...I'm a pale blonde-haired Norwegian to begin with lol.

@Ctracey218 looking back at your Seiko pickup...I really like that one, and its very reasonable too. That would be a cheap daily wearer that looks much more expensive than what it is...and functional to boot!

I actually have a Seiko 5 auto that I picked up for about $60 about a year ago...that's about as cheap of an auto that you'll find, and I love it. Small, but good size for my write, very readable, awesome lume, etc.

[​IMG]

26. SCIFIDELITY

27. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

sorry for the confusion...but I already have the Seiko 5, and my Hamilton is basically a pilot style. So I'm set on pilots for now...looking for a diver ;)

28. SCIFIDELITY

:( I only speak pilot watch and Seamaster. GLW the search.

29. iridium7777

iridium7777 Well-Known Member

great looking watch, terrible name

30. SCIFIDELITY

It's pronounced "Yun-kers" you know, after the world famous German plane company. And thank you. It just came this morning.

TMF likes this.
  31. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

I tried on the Tag again today and also an Omega Seamaster Professional (aka the bond watch, but the new version). I really like the Omega, but we shall see. I still want to check out the Oris Aquis in person as well.

SCIFIDELITY likes this.
  32. SCIFIDELITY

My Pop has a couple Oris's. great great watches.

33. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Nice! What ones?

34. Ctracey218

35. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Ah very cool, thanks for posting! I hadn't heard of this event before. If I was going to be in town tomorrow, I would stop by.

36. iridium7777

37. iridium7777

what's your criteria? is it only about money or something else? because in my opinion omega blows all those other brands away by a major league, especially oris.

if you do end up buying a tag or an oris do yourself a huge favor at at least buy from a gray dealer since you're probably taking an easy 40-50% bath as soon as you try to sell that watch off retail.

38. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree that Omega is obviously ahead of the others. Yes, it is partially about money...even though I can afford it, I have a hard time spending over $3k on a watch at my age (27), and I need to have something to look forward to! The other thing that I really don't like about the SMPc is that bracelet...so I'd end up buying a new bracelet also...another $800 or so.

Between the Oris and Tag, they use essentially the same movement, but the Oris seems to have a slight edge on quality. The Aquaracers have a history of crown issues and a few reports of them keeping poor time. I'd only buy the Tag on the gray market due to being much cheaper, and then if I have an issue, I'd have to deal with Jomashop's service department, wherein I've heard mixed reviews.

I also feel like I'm paying extra for just the "Tag" name, esp as they market the crap out of their watches. Oris prides themselves as only ever making mechanical watches, and still being one of the few Swiss watch companies that isn't owned by the giant...Swatch. (Nothing against Swatch though...I also have a Hamilton). I also feel like the Oris is a bit more unique looking.

39. iridium7777

everyone makes tall claims, whether they're owned by big coorporations or not... blancpain's big shtick is to have never have produced a quartz watch... the statement about oris is not true as they've made quartz watches in the 80-90's, unlike blancpain which just folder in the 80s ;).

3k at 27 is nothing to worry about, down the road you can look forward to 5, 10,15K... whatever floats your boat.

also, if 3k is pushing it for you and you do like omegas, you may as well look for a second hand 2531.80,which should probably run you 1400-1700 depending on condition. if you don't like seamaster bracelet (which i personally like much more compared to speedy) a speedy bracelet is $650 from ottofrei - and you can probably find one for cheaper on omega forums -- either way you'll get the same money out of your seamaster bracelet so it'll be a wash.

anywho, i'll stop pedaling omega to you, but to me omega vs. oris is like eating potted meat at tilia vs. fillet mignon at rockbottom -- i'd never step foot in rockbottom. sometimes "paying for name" is not a bad thing, as long as you buy the right name.

40. iridium7777

i'm not sure if this is OK to post per forum rules so mods please delete if this is inappropriate:

if anyone out there is looking for watch consultations/deals i can help. i've been around in the watch trading world for over a decade and can provide extensive references.

i primarily deal in swiss mechanical pieces from higher end brands, i can't get you a deal on shinola or something like that, but anything from tissot, longines, tudor, tag, breitling, omega, rolex (new and vintage), jlc, ap, patek, lange, iwc is doable. send me your details, requests and budget and i can most likely get you anything you want.

all watches are either brand new or like brand new and guaranteed authentic with substantial discounts to what you can find yourself either at brick and mortar or even online. shoot me a pm if anyone's interested.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
    Ctracey218 likes this.
  41. Ctracey218

I personally don't see an issue here.. But I will consult and see.. I've been pinching pennies and have been eyeing up a Pelagos for the past few months.. I'd be interested to see the type of deals you can swing after the holiday season when money is prevalent again ha

42. SCIFIDELITY

Hmm. You should post in the vendors/ services thread as well just as a CYA. I don't think they could find fault with this in that case. That being said what kind of deal can you get me on an IWC Portuguese? Can you get Pannies?

43. iridium7777

when it gets closer let me know, i'll take a look around for you and will let you know a quote.

44. iridium7777

not really a dealer/vendor that's why i didn't want to take that route. plus, this is more of a hobby as i'm keeping my day job, unless everyone on mnsubaru got a watch through me ;).

which portuguese -- chorno, new old? 8day? etc.. Pams are doable too, all depends on what you want. ideally, as i said this being more of a hobby, it's easier for me to work to a direct target, either model or cost, preferably both... otherwise it's somewhat tedious for all involved.

45. SCIFIDELITY

Please don't spend much time on it, since it's not going to happen in the next few years unless it's a screaming deal. The "chronograph" and "automatic" models are the two I waver between.