"The Terd"

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by ScoobyTodd, Sep 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScoobyTodd

ScoobyTodd New Member

So, after looking for a winter beater/daily driver I found this beauty! Although we're affectionately calling it "the terd" its a really good car. I'm glad I went with the Legacy with the 2.2L vs. the Forester and the 2.5L.

This is a 95 Legacy L, AWD, Auto with 137K on the clock for about $3K and brand new tags.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Deride

Deride Well-Known Member

Nice find, now you have to go get it dirty.

3. StatGSR

StatGSR Well-Known Member

nice! where did u find it, i swear i saw something like that on auto trader or carsoup

4. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

That looks mint and it's bulletproof reliability should last a long time.

5. ScoobyTodd

ScoobyTodd New Member

I got it off craigslist amazingly. There were enough shady wholesale dealers posting ads on there I didn't think I would EVER find a clean, reliable car.

6. wrxpeed

wrxpeed CobraPeed

i've been scouring the 'list for weeks now. basically just hoping and wishing, i have a lil cashflow saved up but not quite $2000.

I need a Terd.

7. ScoobyTodd

ScoobyTodd New Member

Well, this is only a "terd" b/c of its color. Everything else is really nice about it. Well, the driver's seat is a little too soft and unsupportive.

Anyone know where I can source a GOOD replacement?

8. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

It's nice to see more 2gen legs around here, it's about time!

9. illegal2.2

illegal2.2 Well-Known Member

^what he said :D

10. esperunit

esperunit Well-Known Member

if you dont care about the colors matching you can get a USDM 2.5RS seat really cheap. I know chin has one lying around. I am selling my extra one along with my car, but they usually sell for real cheap.

11. ScoobyTodd

ScoobyTodd New Member

I don't mind if they're different colors. If anybody knows anyone selling good condition 2.5RS or other suitable front seat replacements, PM me.

Thanks,
    Todd

12. Newb

Newb New Member

Where'd you find this? You've convinced me to get a "terd". I talked to some dealer who essentially made fun of me saying that I should only get a wagon if I want to start a family.

13. ScoobyTodd

ScoobyTodd New Member

craigslist. I also looked at a 96 Outback with 135K miles in REALLY good condition, 5spd, with a tiny bit of rust...$3800.

DO NOT go with a dealer nor wholesaler. I had to scour for a decent private party with good maintenance records. Don't settle for anything less. I looked for Toyota, Honda, Volvo, and Subaru all under $5K. I then decided on Subaru or Volvo for a wagon, but honda and toyota have older wagons too.

14. Newb

Newb New Member

^Why not the dealer/wholesaler?

15. ScoobyTodd

ScoobyTodd New Member

A couple reasons...

1. After all, they are a car dealer, so take that for what its worth
    2. By law they are not supposed to transfer maintenance records to you for privacy purposes
    3. Many times maintenance records are not available since most cars are bought at auction.
    4. Wholesalers don't always reveal minor fender benders b/c they fix them cheap and sell them to unsuspecting private parties.
    5. A lot of times don't know much about the car they are selling (quirks, options, etc).
    6. They tend to always charge higher than private party to cover their overhead fees and any additional maintenance and detailing of the car to have it ready for you

7. Sometimes people sell cars not knowing what their car is worth. Sure, Blue Book values, but there are other things to consider when looking at a used vehicle that you can leverage as a bargaining chip for a lower price. If you know the vehicle and any quirks or specific maintenance that needs to be done and it hasn't been, you can also leverage this. Wholesalers are less likely to deal with you since they have a set figure they're trying to get in order to make money on their deal.

Take those tips for what they're worth.

16. Zombie

Zombie Well-Known Member

I totally agree. Just bought a Volvo S70 from a private party for my girlfriend. 88k miles. All records. $4500 The same car would be beat down, no records, and cost $7k at those rinky dink dealerships. And they often flat out lie about the condition just to get you there.

The only used car I would ever buy from a dealer would be a 2-3 year old car. You might actually get a deal. Anything else is an aborted mess typically.

Nice wagon!

17. ScoobyTodd

ScoobyTodd New Member

Excellent find on the S70. I was REALLY looking for an 850 Turbo, but every one of them was wholesale-owned messes that I didn't and wouldn't mess with.

18. Newb

Newb New Member

^Gotcha. Thanks for the tips.

The only part which I kind of think the dealer may be better is because of those so called "Lemon laws", and for a beater, they might be useful.

I'll keep searchin. :)

19. ScoobyTodd

ScoobyTodd New Member

I disagree and here is why:

Lemon laws typically protect you when you purchase a car under factory warranty. Plus think about this: You buy a car that is $3K and all of a sudden it turns into a nightmare, do you really see yourself spending $1Ks in legal fees and lawyer costs to fight for a broken down $3K car? Probably not worth it.

20. JBark

JBark New Member

Nice, looks similar to the Legacy I was looking at on charitycarauctions a couple weeks ago. Wish I'd got it, it went for around $1400 or something like that, and it looked like it was in really good shape.

21. rskm1

rskm1 Well-Known Member

...'cause tha ladieeez will be all over your jock wanting to bear your children when they see your hot-ass wagon! :)

22. ScoobyTodd

ScoobyTodd New Member

^Plus, everyone knows how much more comfortable the ENTIRE wagon space is with the back seats folded down. Shaggin wagon!

23. Newb

Newb New Member

What's the Charity car auctions site?

charitycarauctions.com?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.