Tint Warning - State Patrol

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Steve in Minnesota, Jun 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. B1Bone

B1Bone BANNED

What's your afsc?

2. JeWrX

JeWrX Well-Known Member

I bought my car with tints already on, given the are purpling and need replacement, They are for sure illegal. However, if you get that little sticker between the tint and your window that says the tint was done legally shouldnt you get off scot free?

3. 02blubru

02blubru Well-Known Member

only if you have the leagal limit on it. Cops don't care how you got it done just if it is leagle or not

4. HouseOfAtlas

HouseOfAtlas Active Member

If you can somehow get a medical exempt from your doctor, you can go as dark as you want I think, or maybe its 20%, not sure. Minnesota is one of the states that will allow a medical exempt.

Then again, I'm not sure if you then need a huge sticker on your car after you get the medical exempt or if you just show the officier your medical exempt when he pulls you over.

Someone here HAS to know a doctor personally :biggrin:

5. HouseOfAtlas

HouseOfAtlas Active Member

First of all, thanks for serving us :bowdown: Second, I don't see how a cop could give someone who serves our country a ticket for tint? I mean, if he pulled over a fellow police officer, I highly doubt he'd give them a ticket.

I'm not against cops at all. I know a few that workout at my gym here in Cottage Grove. But, there are good cops and then there are bad cops.

Good luck on getting rid of those. Keep us updated :)

6. ScoobyTodd

ScoobyTodd New Member

It was 33S3...Communications and Info Systems Officer.

I'll let everyone know how things work out.

Is it true in MN like other states, where if I fight the ticket and the issuing officer doesn't show it gets thrown out?

I think it's amazing that he would give me a ticket being ex-AF and Iraqi-vet. Oh well...I'm not looking for favorites, but a warning and I would have gone along my way and rectified the situation. When I handed him my license and military ID he quickly handed back the military ID like "what do I care?"

7. N1ceDrgn

N1ceDrgn New Member

..sounds like a complete d!ck to me. If you're still active, I'd keep your AZ residency/ license and so forth. AZ has some better benefits over MN. I used to play that game with the police and highway patrol in CA when I was stationed out there. My 240 was legal in no sense of the law and when they did try to get me, just before I left, they couldn't touch me because everything was out of state (CA) registered and insured here in MN.
    ..sadly enough, being here in MN, there are not many 'people wearing a badge' that either know or even care if you're military or not. For that matter, there aren't really many retailers that offer up any kind of military discount either. It's pretty sad.. I will say that from time to time you will meet a fellow vet and they can help point you in a few directions for getting over on things.

8. ScoobyTodd

ScoobyTodd New Member

I'm no longer active, which doesn't help. I do still retain my ID though, which is good, but hasn't really proven a ton of worth in the realm of police go. Oh well.

9. 06WRXss

06WRXss New Member

I had a friend get out of a speeding ticket by contesting it at court and the officer didn't show up. Of course he lost a days worth of pay by going to court. So if you can get the time off I'd try it. Hopefully the courts have bigger criminals to procsecute that day.

As for the miliary ID the cop probably thought you were showing it just to get out of a ticket, that might have annoyed him. Get the vet plates, its a little more subtle in saying "please don't ticket me, I've risked my life for this country".

10. ScoobyTodd

ScoobyTodd New Member

Good point on the vet plate. I'll probably do that for next year on both vehicles. Probably a bit more effective.

11. 06WRXss

06WRXss New Member

^^ yeah, MN just came out with them this month. You can get OIF, OEF, or GWOTe for a one time payment of 10 bucks.

And is it just me or does tint on a white car seem to stand out more than on dark ones?

12. beeloo

beeloo New Member

This is pretty messed up!! He just stopped me again!!

This time he said i was varying my speed between 55-70 and I moved over to the white line. So he wrote me a warning for "violation: Lane use".
    Looks like this dude is not going to get off my back.

I was coming down 52 from St. Paul and this was after Cannon Falls. I saw a car speeding up to catch up with me. I slowed down immediately to 65. I had bought a radar detector since my first ticket and was able to tell that he did not scan me till he got close. By that time i was cruising at 55 in a 65. He still stopped me and rest is history.

So I am off to finding a different route to St. Paul from Rochester.

13. evilrex

evilrex New Member

Did anyone who got pulled over by the Super Trooper go to court and contest the ticket(s)? Perhaps file a Motion of Discovery when you go to court to see if the Super Trooper is currently trained and/or certified to use that tint measuring/radar/laser equipment? Moreover, has the tint measuring/radar/laser equipment been calibrated (to state and manufactures standards for accuracy)recently to ensure accuracy? Seems kind of silly to me to pay for a ticket if the issuing person is not current or qualified on the piece of equipment that tags you or if the equipment is not calibrated within state/manufactures standards. Just my $.02

14. evilrex

evilrex New Member

Hey Scooby Todd, this is right from the MN DPS website:

How soon do I need to obtain a Minnesota License?

You have 60 days after becoming a resident in Minnesota to obtain your Minnesota license or permit if you have a valid driver's license or instruction permit from another state.

If you work for the United States Armed Forces or you are a family member of someone in the Armed Forces stationed in Minnesota and hold a valid out-of-state driver's license you do not need to obtain a Minnesota license.

BTW, how does this guy know what the CURRENT tint laws in AZ are? This guy needs a hobby, like stamp collecting.

15. ScoobyTodd

ScoobyTodd New Member

You're right, this guys needs a hobby.

Unfortunately, I just separated from active duty, but technically am still ready reserve.

I am meeting with a hearing officer on the 19th to contest both and I will ensure to fight both.

16. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Well-Known Member

Good luck. You should have no trouble, I have seen a hearing officer twice recently due to the MN state patrol picking on me becuase of my car. I have never lost. Be polite, dress up, bring as much documentation (if needed) with you and I'm sure you'll have no issues walking out with the fines waived.

17. ScoobyTodd

ScoobyTodd New Member

Thanks, I'm not too worried. I took before and after shots of the car for the tint, resolved the license issue the following week, and have 5 crumpled pieces of tint to further my cause.

Kind of ridiculous, but oh well...

18. ScandiaWRX

ScandiaWRX <font color="#f8467d">Rally Demi-goddess</font>

I got tired of running the gauntlet to work, heart beating faster at the sight of a State Trooper, trying to avoid a tint ticket. I called my eye doctor, who did my laser vision correction surgery, and left him a message.... Sensitive eyes, snow glare, illegal window tint, please help. Not fibbing either, the tint really helps.

The prescription arrived today! Woo Hoo... Thanks Doc...

19. subaru4

subaru4 New Member

Sweet

20. rick_james

rick_james BANNED

Don't be such a post whore

21. AspitFire

AspitFire Well-Known Member

^ Gtfo

22. Xcelor8

Xcelor8 Well-Known Member

Im going for a prescription too, I'm allergic to the sun, maybe that will count.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.