TINT What is yours?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by jackbauer, Aug 12, 2007.

?

What is your tint?

1. 0%

14 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. 50% Entire Car

15 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. 50% Front 35% Rear

10 vote(s)
    11.9%
  4. DARK

45 vote(s)
    53.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pksublime

pksublime Well-Known Member

Just remember guys that if you don't have the little percentage sticker on your driver's door saying who installed it at what % it is illegal too. Doesn't matter what the tint is, if you don't have the sticker they don't even have to meter your windows. They can just write you a ticket to get it fixed.

If you DO have the sticker and it's rated illegal and the sticker claims it is legal, it's not your problem now. The installer gets a fine, and has to reinstall on your car for freee.

However, don't forget that cops do USUALLY have a sense of common sense and will at least meter your windows first instead of just being a jackass about it all.

2. MNAutomatic

MNAutomatic New Member

35% all around and have only been hassled once and that was because I was pulled over for speeding and the cop was being an ass hole about. He even wanted to write me up for my exhaust but said he would be nice and let it slide. It gets annoying but for a little style and uniqueness you make the choice to stand out like a sore thumb

3. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

22% all around.

4. bummpy

bummpy New Member

I'm not looking for MORE reasons for the cops to pull me over. I seriously quit counting how many times I've been pulled over after getting to 25. Sometimes it's because I'm driving around like a jackass, sometimes it's because I'm driving around during bar time, and some times it's from DWB (unfortunatly, although it's more the exception than the rule).

Either way, the less reasons a cop has to pull me over the better.

5. Hallywood

Hallywood Well-Known Member

13% on the back 35% on the front

6. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Police think they can see me lean
    I'm tint so it ain't easy to be seen
    When you see me ride by they can see the glean
    And my shine on the deck and the TV screen

i know yr riding dirty ;)

7. jackbauer

jackbauer Well-Known Member

I concur! :biggrin:

8. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

13% on the rear window and doors

9. JeWrX

JeWrX Well-Known Member

30% all around

10. Steve in Minnesota

Steve in Minnesota Well-Known Member

Mine was 35% front and 20% the rest until I got pulled over by the j/a State Pooper on 52 coming back from the cities....I just got a warning.....because my sales skills were better than his bogus information detecting skills.....but I switched it out anyway to 50%.

Steve

11. project/driven

project/driven Well-Known Member

I've never been a fan of that line from the officers about not being able to see into a car. It's kinda like telling me that I need a lexan door on my house because "I cant see what's going on in there when I walk up, and someone might have a gun pointing at me". Seriously it's not the public's job to make all the officers extra comfy. It's an uncomfortable job with uncomfortable circumstances. If you can't deal with that you should go work at Home Depot or something like that.

12. wraithpreza

wraithpreza New Member

I agree. I posted some of the exhaust and noise statutes last week. let me know if you want help finding more.

13. chriswelckle

chriswelckle Well-Known Member

I have been tinting windows for 24 years now. 50% is the law. The law also has a provision for a medical condition. You have to have a doctors note(official letter head and phone numbers to contact to verify. Or a prescription on a doctors prescription pad. Then you may legally exceed the 50% limit. I have the prescription and have been pulled over for my 19% tint. I showed him the prescription and you should have seen the look on his face when he had to let me go. 19 is quite dark for the average person. 5% is limo tint.

14. eagle talon guy

eagle talon guy Well-Known Member

where exactly is that sticker? is it the thing like at the bottom of the window towards the back of the vehicle but on the drivers side window? and does it say __% or like how do u tell how dark it is? cause i wanna find out how dark my dad's windows r, but he said he doesnt remember...

15. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

20% back doors and rear quarters (wagon). Nothing on the fronts or the back window. Never had a cop care in the least. They can see in the back, they can see in the front doors, and the 20% keeps the toddler in the back from screeching when the sun gets in his eyes (was more of an issue when he was really little).

16. tux121

tux121 Well-Known Member

30. or other words 70%. although u can still see through it

17. Soupboy

Soupboy Well-Known Member

W3rd, but I do like the coverage in the front too (incl eyebrow).

18. Speedemon

Speedemon Well-Known Member

im 100%!

19. Soupboy

Soupboy Well-Known Member

Hopefully it is 100% METALLIC - on the inside - so there is NO WAY you can see out.

20. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

I desperately need some sort of tint. But, DCCD controller > tint :wiggle:

21. ArcticWolf

ArcticWolf Well-Known Member

no tint on the front doors, windshield
    20% on the back doors, back glass

Was done by Tintmaster for the subaru dealership in Moorhead (and I can't fault them, FM is a bad place for tinting, because the laws aren't the same across the border)... and I got pulled over (admittedly, on my way home from work - happens to be during bar rush hours ... stupid overnight stocking job) and got a warning for my tint, and my plates (which were from the previous owner, from bemidji ... state trooper told me to take the plates off ... dealership, parents, and the local police said they should be kept on ...?) since I had the 21-day temp tag in the window.

That all being said, what does it usually cost to pull the tint and redo it all, grand total? I'm in the camp of "less reasons, the better" too.

22. MNAutomatic

MNAutomatic New Member

If he just gave you a warning I would say leave it but if you must redo it then I am guessing somewhere around the 200-250 range

23. ArcticWolf

ArcticWolf Well-Known Member

It was just a warning... and to be honest, first time I've been pulled over, ever (in 5 yrs)... so I really don't know how it all works.

That being said, less reasons the better. :p

24. MNAutomatic

MNAutomatic New Member

Yeah...just leave it then. Until you get a ticket for it you have nothing to worry about and even then there are ways around it.

25. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

36% all around...both cars. Got one ticket ~4.5yrs ago (before I got the STi) at 3am. The cop said that he pulled me over for my tint to check if I was drunk. (Around new years so they had their special enforcement going) Passed the drunk test and then he decided that he would actually give me a tint ticket. :( I have had my windows tinted <=36% since I was 18 (now 34) and that is the only ticket. When I used to tint professionally, there were very few people that came back after being hassled by the cops. Certain cops have it in for tint, just don't run across them. ;)

26. jb05sti

jb05sti Well-Known Member

unless you can find a place that will tint your windows 60%...then it will be illegal...

if you get 50% tint put on....when a cop puts his tint device on there ..it will most likely read between 40-49% making it illegal to have your 50% tint. So if your going to tint your windows you might as well tint them dark, or not at all.

27. jackbauer

jackbauer Well-Known Member

At least your less likely to get picked up!

28. prezawagon

prezawagon Well-Known Member

I think there aretwo ways the law could be written, the limit is either Net or Film. Where Net is the combined light transmission of the film and the window, and Film is just the light transmission of just the film.

This page has a description of the terms, but I don't know if the laws are up to date on this page.

http://home.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/

I think the mn law refers to the visibility of just the film though. And you do get +/- 3% of 50%.

But, I also think for any tint to be legal in MN, the installer needs to put a sticker underneath the tint stating what kind of tint it is. So technically just having 50% tint isn't enough to be legal.

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/MN/

29. pksublime

pksublime Well-Known Member

yep - gotta have the sticker or they don't even have to meter you to get a ticket

30. Rusty

Rusty Member

i've been looking around the sight and called tint masters for a quote on doing my 5 windows and they want way more then these people even including our 10% discount, http://www.ziebart.com/Index.aspx?mid=1&PageId=71 they'll do any 5 windows for 200 bucks and theres a coupon online for another $50 off of that. i havent found anyone else who will warenty and tint 5 windows for $150 have you guys?

31. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Well-Known Member

wow, excellent use of the search button, you pulled this thread out from the past!:)

No, 150 for all windows with a guarantee is incredible! go for it!!

32. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

I just ordered 35% all!

33. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

From where? Im in the market for some tint on the wag0n of DOOM!

34. Ylime

Ylime Well-Known Member

street secens tint all the way. Will never go anywhere else for tint.

35. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

ebay, precut, $34.87 FTW

36. 02blubru

02blubru Well-Known Member

I had all 5 of my windows and brow accross the top of my windshield done for 150 with life time warranty on the tint. Granted this was 3 years ago.

Kevin Knapp Shaded image.

He will come to you if you want since he does not really have a shop!!

612-281-6113 is his number. Let him know I gave you his name and number.

37. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

Same here, 50 all around. No need for anything darker for me. My Stunna shades will do the trick :cool:

38. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Hijack time:

If anybody needs pre-cut tint for an 02-07 wagon, 35%, I have a set for sale.

http://www.mnsubaru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25268

From Tintkits.com. Who knows what brand you'll get off eBay! Price negotiable.

Or, if someone can help me install it on my car, I will supply them with delicious beer from a good Wisconsin microbrew like New Glarus. I just got a six of "Totally Naked" from the New Glarus brewery. It's frickin' amazing.

Mmmm. Beer. Delicious beer.

39. gc8

gc8 Well-Known Member

Would getting 50% be a waste of money because it wouldn't be very noticeable? I want to get tinted, but I want it to only be 50%. If that won't even be noticeable, then I'll just save the money...

40. Rusty

Rusty Member

street what? you mean street scene.com?

btw how hard is applying the tint yourself with a pre cut tint?

also btw i'm going to do the 50% i dont want cops hasseling me.

41. gc8

gc8 Well-Known Member

can a 50%er post some pics please?

42. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

43. Rusty

Rusty Member

that looks really sweet, is it legal to do different tint on the back windows of CARS compared to the front windows, i know its legal on trucks and everything else but cars i'm not so sure.

44. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

well my car/suv/van is a grey area... nothing is too clear as it is lumped between 3 classes pretty much.. if you have a wagon you can go darker 'apparently' on the rears... but either way the government is trying to screw tinting altogether

45. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

Mines 50%, and I love it. Here's an old pic.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.