Tire Wear

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by BroCo, Oct 17, 2017.

1. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

I purchased new tires two years ago Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 2's to be exact. I installed new struts on the car and then had it aligned by a very reputable shop. 20K miles later and there is a huge amount of camber wear on the insides of all four tires. The wear is to the point were I can see wires!!!!

Not sure if the car needs to be realigned or what is going on.

Anyone have something similar to this happen? Car is an 05 STI with Koni inserted STI struts and RCE yellows.

2. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

If the wear is the same on all 4 tires then I would think this indicates an issue with how aggressive your alignment is. They are an ultra performance summer tire as well so generally that means they are a fairly soft compound tire. How many 32 of tread do you have left on the areas without camber wear? Also the tire only had a tread wear rating of 320. That isn't terrible but its not great either.,

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  3. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

Definitely sounds like an alignment issue. My guess would be the toe is off a bit. @Krazylegz1485 had a similar issue lately, but I don't recall the outcome.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  4. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

I'd say the tires are a major issue, I have those same ****ty tires on my MINI and those lasted less than 10k with "spirited" daily driving. I'd 100% never buy them ever again.

5. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Definitely sounds like an alignment issue. Either too much negative camber (unlikely given your suspension setup) or a toe issue. Do you have your last alignment sheet? Have you hit anything?

Take it to Jeff the alignment guy for an alignment next time. Ask for zero toe all the way around, and I also wouldn't go more than -1.75 or -.2 degrees of camber for a street driven only car. You can't adjust camber in the rear unless you have aftermarket top hats or alignment bolts (yuck), so you will get what you get in the rear.

6. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

As far as I remember, they said it was a toe issue only. Something about the rest of it looked fine I guess.

The main difference between my situation and his, tho, is mine was definitely on the front wheels only. Although I must admit I'm not the best when it comes to rotating them at "normal" intervals, so that could be why only two of mine wore terribly and not all four wore equally.