Tires for the wife's forester

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Butthau5, May 16, 2022.

1. Butthau5

Butthau5 Well-Known Member

My wife's original Yokohama a/s tires are tired (haha) and cracking. She has dedicated winter wheels and tires. I think the original tires are 225/60r 17 but I think less sidewall would look better. Looking for recommendations, I'm not sure if I should go with more all seasons or to get her something more summer oriented. What do you guys think?
    Edit* it's a 2014 Forester 2.5i premium

2. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

We couldn't be happier with our Continental DWS on our 03 WRX.

3. pinjasaur

pinjasaur Active Member

I've enjoyed my Michelin CrossClimate2 tires so far.

If you're looking for less sidewall I assume you getting bigger wheels too?

4. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

FWIW, my wife's Escape came with 19" wheels and 45 series tires and the OEM tires are ready to be replaced. We have dedicated winter tires that are on 17" OEM wheels that I bought on eBay.

Three of the four original 19" wheels have curb rash (I'll admit I contributed my share <hangs head>) and I have a hard time putting new tires on curbed wheels. I don't like the style of these wheels enough to pay to have them refinished. I also don't like the poor rim protectors molded into the 45 series tire's sidewall and the virtually non-existent protection they provide.

I found another set of mint 17" OEM wheels on Craigslist (different style wheel from the other 17" set) and a couple days ago ordered some 17", 55 series Continental ExtremeContact DSW06 tires for it.

The lower price of the tires helped to offset the outlay for the additional wheels, and the taller sidewall will ride better, be better able to deal with road imperfections than the 19" tires, and hopefully do a better job protecting the wheels from curb rash.

To my eye, a taller sidewall on pristine wheels looks better than sexy rubber on curbed wheels that scream "I don't phucking know how to drive".

Butthau5, silver03 and tangledupinblu like this.
  5. Butthau5

No she has nice looking bbs for the summer. I just feel like it looks weird with the amount of sidewall on the wheels. Maybe I should get her some beefy all terrain tires lol.

pinjasaur likes this.
  6. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

A decent set of summers should suffice. General has some pretty good options

euro likes this.
  7. euro

euro Well-Known Member

I just put general g-max (as09?) On my wrx

tangledupinblu likes this.
  8. predavore

predavore Well-Known Member

I have 235/55/17 DWS06 on the 09 Forester and 235/45/17 DWS06 on the 08 WRX. Great tires, no the quietest, but really nice.

9. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Daily driver (non-performance) tires that don't have to serve winter duty. I look for a Touring tire. They will excel at dry pavement performance (road noise, fuel mileage, longevity, etc.), and rarely sacrificing wet performance.

Butthau5 and tangledupinblu like this.
  10. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Low profile and low rolling resistance:

[​IMG]

tangledupinblu and Butthau5 like this.
  11. Butthau5

This is the answer I needed thank you.

Chux likes this.
  12. Faber

Faber Member

If you're in the S part of the cities, feel free to hit Dustin Simon up at the Apple Valley Discount Tire. He's the GM and a very good friend of mine. Tell him Brian G sent you if you go.