To repair or not to repair?

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Cotts612, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, I'm at a crossroads with my stock 2004 wrx wagon. She currently has 218,500 miles on her, and in need of some repairs. I had my timing belt, idlers, and water pump replaced 7,000 miles ago at JM, and had them inspect the car at the same time. I lost the quote from them, but have the invoice from the timing belt replacement with their notes.

They found that the oil pan is leaking, the oil cooler seal is leaking, and the valve covers are leaking (duh). Also, a slight roughness at idle, so valve lash could probably be adjusted. I have no problems with it mis firing when driving, so they weren't too concerned about it, but it's there. I will also note that I have no drips on my garage floor. Chalk that up to the plastic cover I guess, but it has a chunk out of it and cracks, so you would think it would drip eventually. Additionally, I've been getting a p0420 code about every 100 miles, and since Saturday, my door ajar light is staying on:facepalm:

So, I have a 16 year old car, rust on the quarters, and showing up elsewhere, with another $1200+ In work needed. I do want to buy a newer car someday, Outback 3.6r if I can find one. I'm just not sure if I want a car payment, or to drop 1-2 grand in the wrx, and hope nothing else fails in the next year. What would you do?

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Is it just $1200 in work needed? If so, fix it! Run it for another couple of years and start saving for that 3.6R;)

Cotts612 and euro like this.
  3. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Figuring out when to cut bait and bail on an old car is one of the hardest things to do. The rust is only going to get worse, and it will happen faster once it has gotten a good start. And I can guarantee it is a lot more extensive than what meets the eye at this point. If the oil leak is not ruining the asphalt driveway or making a mess in the garage, I would just check it regularly and do nothing to fix it. Put a piece of black tape over the Door Ajar light. Don't sink anymore money in it and start saving for a replacement.

Nhibbs, Krazylegz1485 and Cotts612 like this.
  4. Optimus8304

Optimus8304 Member

I agree with you on this. I have a '14 outback 3.6R and it's a great car with alot of power for a n/a.

5. Cotts612

Haha, I think that might be on the low end, but it was my initial thought. I don't know how I could give up on my favorite car that I've owned. I was thinking more on the lines of what @pillboy mentioned, at what point do I stop throwing money at it? I would like to fix all the little things, but time/money ect. Door ajar light so I don't have a brief heart attack every time I glance at the speedometer and see RED! Lol seriously, every time. I figured the responses would be mixed, just like my thought process on the whole thing :smoke: Thanks for the replies!

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  6. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

This situation sucks. I feel like I've been there for a while with mine, and it's just gradually getting worse over time.

235k ish on mine now and it's got a handful of "minor" issues going for it.

-Got a really slight crank bearing knock (I think) that developed after Powercruise a couple years ago. I thought for sure it was doomed and was only a matter of time until it grenaded. But that was like 3 years ago and it's never gotten worse. Yet.

-Did a PDS day at BIR this summer back in May. Pretty sure I damaged a synchro in the tranny and have a little bit of a grind going from 3 to 4 if I'm trying to speed shift. If I drive "normal" you can't even tell.

-Rust... Found out this winter that it's unfortunately much worse than I thought. The rear strut tower on the driver side is not pretty...

-Intermittent misfires on cylinder 3. Gradually becoming less and less intermittent... Last time this happened I had a burnt valve on hole 3. That was like 5 years (and 100k miles) ago and I rebuilt the top end and she's been running swell ever since. Given the rest of the current issues with the car as a whole, if this is the case again I probably won't be fixing it...

Not trying to thread jack, just sharing my similar situation. Haha. If you find a magic wand and figure out what to do, feel free to let me borrow it when you're finished.

Currently I'm just waiting for the day somebody rear ends me or something and I can total the car (and strip all the parts off) and get an insurance claim. Haha. Would definitely be the best case financial scenario/solution given the current status.

MidnightImpreza and Cotts612 like this.
  7. Cotts612

Thanks for the reply, and no worries on thread jacking. This is why I posted on this site. There are enough people that are still active here who have owned cars as long as I have been alive, so it seemed like the right thing to do. Hey, maybe instead of a magic wand, if I end up buying a newer Subaru, you can buy mine! Fewer miles and fewer issues? Lol

8. Krazylegz1485

It's damn near impossible for me to pass up a good deal on a Subaru. Haha. Even worse when it's a wagon...

EricS, Butthau5 and Cotts612 like this.
  9. pillboy

I think one things you guys need to keep in mind is how extensive rust can affect the crash worthiness of a unibody. It's one thing if you're just hauling around your unmarried, craft-beer swilling, vaping, non-parent ass, but totally another if you have worldly commitments or carry passengers.

10. euro

euro Well-Known Member

To pillboy's point my 99 impreza donor car didn't look too bad but when i cut the top of the b pillar it fell down...
    20201227_132855_HDR~2.jpg

11. pillboy

The moral is, don't risk your life (and those of others) just to set some misguided Subaru longevity record. For those of you who might be forced to drive an old, high-mileage vehicle (any brand) due to extenuating financial reasons, my apologies and I don't mean to come off as someone who doesn't understand those circumstances.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  12. Cotts612

This is definitely one of things I'm trying to factor in. The wife and I are planning on having a kid in the next year. A newer outback would be perfect for that journey in our lives.

Yeah, that's scary. I don't think my car is anywhere near that level of rust structurally, but definitely makes a good point.

euro likes this.
  13. Cotts612

Yeah, I'm quite the wagon hoor myself.

Krazylegz1485 and tangledupinblu like this.
  14. Krazylegz1485

I definitely don't drive a 235k mile turd as a first choice, but not having a monthly payment on anything but the house is a nice thing, too. Luckily we have several vehicles and when we go anywhere as a family we usually take the truck. And the kid really only rides in my car anymore on Friday afternoons when it's my turn to pick him up from daycare (roughly 10 miles from home).

15. MidnightImpreza

MidnightImpreza Well-Known Member

20210109_234004.jpg I'll jump in because I drive a 280K 06' Impreza, 2nd long block with 200K+ now, but car is still in decent shape. I have some rear fender rust that's probably worse than it looks, but the car is good, and safe, and worth throwing some money at once in a while. Haven't had a car payment in 8 years. It's all relative.

16. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

I definitely get the desire to not have a car payment but after my uncle recently almost died in a car crash in an old unsafe car Id say if you can afford a payment its worth it to get a relatively new safe non-rusty car.

You can still get a pretty low total cost of ownership even with a car payment and a newer car if you choose wisely. Desirable models that are super reliable and last a long time that have very low depreciation (Tacoma, 4runner, etc) can be as cheap to own (from a TCO perspective) as an old POS.
    My CTS-V is worth a few thousand dollars more than I paid for it 4 years and 20k miles ago...If I sold it now my cost of ownership would be gas, tires, and insurance (which is admittedly a lot lol)

pillboy and tangledupinblu like this.
  17. Krazylegz1485

If I had CTS-V money I'd certainly have a CTS-V instead of a clapped out WRX. Haha. Would be nice cuz it would also check off a box on the dream car list for both me and the wife.

18. pillboy

In hindsight, I should have taken my 401k and bought as many manual trans CTS-V wagons as I could.

19. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

There's still time. lol
    But if you had your 401k in literally anything but bonds for the last 4+ years you did waaaaaay better returns than any car could ever hope to get you (except for some super rare hyper cars).

20. Cotts612

Welp forget about all those other repairs, I suspect my throwout bearing is bad:shifty: My wife and I were on a road trip last week to the North shore/Gunflint trail for our 1 year anniversary. I started to hear a grinding/rattling noise when the clutch is engaged in neutral, and goes away when pushed down. I believe that's the throwout bearing, yes? I'm off to see the Subaru wizards of Osseo, heading to JM on Thursday.

Butthau5 likes this.
  21. Butthau5

Butthau5 Well-Known Member

I have heard this on my 5 speed too would like to hear confirmation when you finger it out.

22. MidnightImpreza

Might as well just do a new clutch too while it's apart. That's what I'd do.

23. Cotts612

I assume that's what they'll do. I let them know it's been 102k miles since my clutch was replaced last. That was because of a bad throwout bearing as well.

24. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Did you use a new OEM TOB? Or the ****ty ones that come with aftermarket clutch kits?

25. tangledupinblu

Is the Exedy “stock replacement clutch kit” a crappy TOB as well Nhibbsalicious? Because, if so, when I do mine soon I will look into other options.

26. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

I don't know about that one specifically but I was told to always use OEM TOB in general because more often than not the aftermarket ones fail like these people have experienced.

27. Cotts612

It was whatever came with the Exedy clutch, so not oem I would guess. Previous throwout bearing went at 116k miles, and I assume that was the original clutch/bearing that came with the car. I bought it with 102k.

JM confirmed it's the throwout bearing. I would get that looked at before you get stranded. How long has the noise been occurring?

28. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

With used WRX I wouldn't be so sure it was OEM if you bought it at 102k miles LOL.

The average WRX owner at this point probably goes through a clutch every 30k miles trying to do skids on dry pavement for the tiktoks. It could have been on its 3rd clutch with an aftermarket TOB.

:coffee:

tangledupinblu, pillboy and Cotts612 like this.
  29. Cotts612

Yeah, good point.

30. Krazylegz1485

:bounce:

With how impossible it was to separate my motor and tranny the first time, I'm pretty sure my clutch was still original when I changed it at 135k.

I know the odds are pretty high, but not everyone out there drives like a total asshole.

31. pillboy

I'm sure there were at least two people over 65 that bought a WRX.

32. Butthau5

It has happened like 4 different times but then it's never present the next time I go to drive it. Not sure how long it's been since I've heard anything, doesn't really matter because I can't drive that car right now. But I did just buy a new flaming pile and I believe it has this symptom as well only worse.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  33. Cotts612

Are you saying people over 65 can't bang through gears? C'mon, give them some credit! I'm sure somebody over 65 wrecked a transmission doing a neutral drop or something :bounce:

I could only really hear mine when it was a cold start. After driving a while, I couldn't hear it. Sorry about the pile of flaming poo :(

Krazylegz1485 and Butthau5 like this.
  34. tangledupinblu

Mine in the BRZ is the same. At cold start idle she is noisy. Any other time, not so much

35. Krazylegz1485

Just another thing that makes a Subaru a Subaru. Embrace the suck, gents.

Keep your stick on the ice. We're all in this together.

Cotts612, tangledupinblu and euro like this.
  36. pillboy

More likely pedal misapplication and crashing through the front of a Starbucks.

Cotts612 and tangledupinblu like this.
  37. euro

euro Well-Known Member

not too long or it will chaff #protips

38. MidnightImpreza

I can see gramps throwing a money shift.

Cotts612 likes this.
  39. tangledupinblu

If they don’t find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy!

Cotts612, Krazylegz1485 and TC Lgt like this.
  40. Cotts612

Yep, I haven't thrown in the towel yet! It's only to and from work for my wrx for a bit. JM is moving next week, so they weren't able to replace the clutch just yet. Exedy order is a few days out, and with them moving it wasn't a sure deal. I'll be embracing the Subaru love/sounds every day :coffee:

Butthau5 likes this.
  41. Butthau5

Where are they moving to?

42. Cotts612

Not far from their current location, still in Osseo I believe.

Butthau5 likes this.