Transmission question 2015+ WRX

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Jason C, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Jason C

Jason C Well-Known Member

Hey folks,

I've been wondering about the 6spd transmission on my 2017 WRX. While not the first standard gearbox equipped car I've driven, it is the first one on a Subaru that I've owned and the first 6spd I've owned. Occasionally, I will have an issue with being able to shift into first from a complete stop. I will be at a red light with clutch out and shifter in neutral and when it comes time to go, I clutch in (all the way to the floor) and shift into first. When I attempt to do so, I feel heavy resistance to the shifter slotting into the gate. Pretty sure I could just slam it in if I had to, but I'd rather not damage anything. I remedy the issue by popping the shifter back to neutral, clutching out and back in, and then the shifter will usually go into first smoothly. I've never had this happen with any of the other MT cars I've driven. Overall, it seems like the Subaru 6spd on the 2015+ WRX is just tighter or more finicky than other makes. Has anyone else had this same issue? I'm coming up on 32k miles and want to know if this is normal or if this is something I should see if I can get looked at while I'm still under warranty. I'm doubtful the dealer would honor the warranty since I've had some mods done, but worth a try anyways.

2. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

Depends on the mods. Dealers have gotten somewhat better about still honoring things if the mods you have done can't be linked to the issue your having and your generally a pleasant person to work with.

3. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I wonder if the first gear synchro is getting worn? What happens if you push the clutch in, wait a few seconds for the transmission's internals to stop spinning and then try to shift into first? I had a Ford four speed that developed this issue and I just got in the habit of pulling it back into second and then go into first.

4. Jason C

I don't know if it is getting worn. I've always tried to rev match especially shifting into 1st and never forced the shifter - just let it slip into gear when it was able to. Is there a way to tell if the syncro is worn? Clutching in and waiting seems to be the same. It usually goes into 1st without problem. As I understand, the synchro lets the gears match the speed of the wheels? Or is it the engine speed?

5. d2theyip

d2theyip Active Member

Happens to me randomly. Pretty much need to double clutch to get it into gear sometimes. Weird quirk on 15+ wrx's.

6. Jason C

Thanks. Sounds like Subaru might have improved things with the WRX 6spd in the 18-19 MYs.

7. MNcrew952

MNcrew952 Member

I had a similar issue from day one with my '17, thought it was weird but never brought it in. Seemed to like to engage only after after rpm's returned to idle, or if going into second, then first.

8. STi_From_DSM

STi_From_DSM Well-Known Member

My 13' WRX had this issue, but only in reverse. I would do the same thing and it would fix it.

9. 007

007 Active Member

I have a brand new 18 WRX........no mods......happens occasionally. No idea why. Go to second then up. Also, if you can’t shift with one or two fingers with this transmission, you are doing it wrong. Mine is smooth and easy.

10. Jason C

Thanks for the info everyone. I've been doing the 2-1 shift and that does get me into 1st more easily. I find a good blip of the throttle to rev match also really helps at speeds below 10mph, but above 5mph. Some experimentation shows me that once into any gear at a standstill, the shifter will smoothly slot into 1st, but once I put it back into neutral and lift off the clutch, going back into 1st requires more effort. I suppose that is due to the intermediate shaft being spun by the engine with the clutch out, so then the shaft has to be brought to a stop by the synchro when I try to shift into 1st? I don't know if it makes a difference, but I am running Motul gear oil rather than the OE Subaru gear oil. All my service is done by JM Auto and that was what was recommended.