Tuning a N/A Subaru

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by pattertj, Mar 23, 2010.

1. pattertj

pattertj Member

Noob Question...

Can you ECU tune a N/A Subaru, say my 05 RS? I only ever hear of this in conjunction with WRXs and STIs. Google searches seem to point to yes, but there is little talk of the details on the pages I found.

If so, does Nuke/Bullwinkle/Other to N/A tuning?

Thanks!

2. Aegis

Aegis TAKE IT!

What have you done to it that requires a tune?

3. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

my understanding is that in theory you can tune the NA ECUs just like you can the Turbo ECUs. However it requires some sort of base information which no one has gone through the trouble of finding out yet, and since tuning the NA ECUs is such a low priority it most likely wont be a possibility to tune them for quite some time if ever. There are other option such as an ISpeed reflash or getting a piggy back / standalone EMS but nothing as simple as having someone hook up a tactrix cable.

4. pattertj

pattertj Member

Mostly just wondering. I am considering headers and cat-back later this summer.

I kind of figured it was low priority. I'll look into the ISpeed/Piggyback/Standalone options. Anyone have any experience with any of these options?

Thanks!

5. Aegis

Aegis TAKE IT!

Hey, we have the same car.

I bought headers and an exhaust and it doesn't need a tune for that. Put them on, drive away. Car runs great ;)

Oh yeah, just make sure you get an oil change or something, so you're not running ****ty oil like I am. Yes the car runs great but our garage has been full and I'm lazy (and broke) ;) I gotta do that, don't wanna you know, be chet.

6. Squiggly

Squiggly Squiggly

I had my 05 rs open source tuned and it honestly doesn't do much. I think i picked up 3whp. Your money is better spent on an exhaust/intake and some suspension stuff.

Mike

7. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

Yup. Open-source can tune the 05+ RS/2.5i (supported ECU list here), but I tell everyone who asks that it's simply not worth it. Spend your money elsewhere. :)

8. pattertj

pattertj Member

Awesome, thanks everyone!

9. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

Indeed. I ran a PP6 piggyback for awhile on my NA 2.2l. I noticed a nice addition of TQ through the power band but at that point I think I would have noticed better gains from doing a set of headers.

10. Back Road Runner

Back Road Runner Well-Known Member

A NA tune was worth it on the older engines. My 02 was pretty rough in power delivery and pretty inconsistent with fuel usage using the stock ECU tune. I went to an I-Speed reflash, and there was noticeable gains across the board plus smoother power delivery and consistent fuel usage. I've used both the SRS-10 and SRS-20 flashes, and I feel they are worth it. The newer cars can't use them though, so your 05 will need open source tuning. I don't really know how the newer cars are tuned from the factory. With the old tunes, you could actually gain 5-10 ft-lb. across the board stepping to the SRS-10 flash and another 5 ft-lb. across the board when stepping to the SRS-20. If the newer cars are tuned more aggressively from the factory, then you may not see sizable gains. If they are tuned rather mild. you might be open to seeing a good bump. The worth of this gain (whatever gain is available) is up to you.

11. ScaryFatKidGT

ScaryFatKidGT Member

The tunes on wrx's up boost thats why they get so much more power, but I wish I could tune my 98 without getting a piggyback, or a tune for 87 and another for 92.

12. pattertj

pattertj Member

From what I have read, a tune on N/A's are only worth it for intakes since apparantly N/A Subaru's are picky about intake setups...