U-joint help

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Nick Griffy, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Nick Griffy

Nick Griffy Member

Just wanted to inquire on some help, unfortunately I have a u-joint going out in my forester and its slowly getting worse. I've seen some stuff that says the driveshaft is unserviceable. I've also read that you can replace the u-joints. Unfortunately I dont have the tools needed to replace it. Hoping someone can lend me a hand, willing to compensate in food and beverages

2. Aegis

Aegis TAKE IT!

Heya I'm pretty sure there are folks here that are willing to help. Where are you located? And how badly does it need service? Do you need help now... Or in a couple weeks, etc?

3. Nick Griffy

Nick Griffy Member

I'm in mahtomedi, it's my daily driver. I can take the driveshaft out that part looks doable. Just dont have anyway of getting the u-joint out. Haven't done any repairs like this. Might try and remove the drivesshaft out tomorrow.

4. Nick Griffy

Nick Griffy Member

I'm not sure how long of a process it takes to remove and install the u-joint. I might have a truck that I can use to bring it somewhere tomorrow

5. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

You are going to need (or the place you take it to is going to need) a hydraulic press. Looks like they are "serviceable" in that you can get aftermarket U-Joints and press the old ones out through the stakes, but it's not as easy as it would be if the OEM joints were held in with snap-rings.

Most shops that do undercarriage (alignments, suspension, brakes, that kind of stuff) will be able to do the job. But on New Year's Day? Umm, best of luck.

Aegis likes this.
  6. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I've done several, it's not terribly difficult, but pretty much requires a hydraulic press (I've heard of people doing it with a hammer, but the ones I did required a LOT of force on the press).

We have 2 good driveshaft shops here in Duluth that do them regularly, so I assume there are many in the cities. A quick google search of "driveshaft shop near Mahtomedi" returns several promising results. Give them a call. There's a good chance they'll know exactly what you're after.

7. pcwerk

pcwerk Well-Known Member

did the OP get this taken care of? wondering how much it costs if he went to
    a shop? i have a 2008 that the wrench said was "binding" when he replaced the
    clutch in the summer. it's not making any noise or anything but hoping it gives a
    warning when its really ready to go...my guy said the 2008 model comes all in one
    with the driveshaft and the whole thing has to be replaced! said it would be "at least
    a grand" :(

8. pcwerk

pcwerk Well-Known Member

well, i guess the OP doesn't log in much. anyone else know what kind of noises a
    driveshaft/U-joint makes before it goes out? we're hoping we can save up for the job
    and until then i don't even want to risk the hour trip to Winona to see the BIL...

9. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Well, at best, "your guy" is giving you a ballpark idea off the top of his head. At worst....might be time to find a new "guy".

Brand-new Subaru shaft is like $600. And it's about a 30 minute job without a hoist while drinking beer. With a well-equipped shop, it would take longer to put the car in the air than to swap the shaft. Dorman certainly makes decent greaseable brand-new shafts for the older cars, probably as new as 2008, but I'm not sure. Those are usually $3-400.

The U-joints are the same in your 2008 (assuming it's not an STi) as my 1984 Brat (and older). They're not designed to be serviceable, but the aftermarket has been doing it for decades. The same part number and procedure in my write-up would apply to your car.

Like I said in my post just above yours, there are 2 shops here in Duluth that do these all the time, and stock the parts. I don't think we're special, I assume there are more all over the country. A google search of "driveline shop near rochester, mn" returns 2 promising results. Call them, ask them. If they do U-joints, they'll have encountered staked-in joints (Subaru is definitely not the only one doing them), probably in Subarus, and can probably give you some good information off the top of their head.

The only warning is a vibration. The frequency does change with road speed, but because the driveshaft spins about 4x faster than the wheels, that frequency change can be hard to perceive. The big factor is that the vibration will change under load (when they're really bad, they'll intermittently vibrate even just cruising). Telltale u-joint is a high-frequency vibration under acceleration at relatively low speed.

pcwerk and tangledupinblu like this.
  10. pcwerk

pcwerk Well-Known Member

thanks for the info Chux! my guy probably was going to use new driveshaft and also quoting off the top of his head... and it does come in handy at times to know someone that does a payment plan with you :rolleyes:
    jim
    ps
    are you the fellow that came down from Duluth to p/u my old 96? OB many moons ago? if so, i hope it worked out well for you.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  11. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Don't think I've picked up a car from rochester.....yet

pcwerk and tangledupinblu like this.