UHS vs Class 10 Micro SD Card? Help an Apple guy out...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by JuStaWRX, Jul 14, 2016.

1. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

Well, I purchased my first non-Apple device on Prime day. I was curious about a different cheap tablet for just putsy things like email, Facebook, forums, and probably some music. I appreciate technology very much, and while I know a bit, I definitely don't know much about this side of things.

I bought the Amazon Kindle Fire for $33, and figured if nothing else I can load a few games educational games on it, set up the parental settings, and have it for use in the classroom with my upper grade students, or give it to our godson. I haven't had a phone that used the SD cards in about 7 years.

The Fire only has 8GB on it. I wasn't even sure if I'd like it, and figured $33 gamble was better than the $55 for th 16GB. I also found out I could put a Micro SD card in for more memory.

I'd like to max that out for the 128gb Micro SD card, and from what I have found, the two choices for grade would be Class 10 and UHS Micro SD.

What is the difference, and what would you recommend? Keep in mind, this is for sure a toy and not much more. I still have my Apple computers/phone/iPad, my school issued HP laptop, and school issued iPad.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. clajiness

clajiness Well-Known Member

JuStaWRX likes this.
  3. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Bingo, for just saving extra pictures, music, videos, and whatever apps you can load onto the SD card, it won't make a huge different. "UHS" vs "class 10" is a bit ambiguous, as I believe there can be different read and write speeds even within the same class. Each card should have it's read and write speeds published.

And before buying a huge card, I'd verify what exactly you can save to the SD card. I'm not familiar with FireOS, but on a regular android device, you can only transfer some apps to the external SD card, and only some app's can store stuff (e.g. music) on the external card. On my Android devices, I can set Spotify to store music on the external SD. I usually shoot for a 32gb or 64 gb card so I can store plenty of music, pictures, and videos on the card.

One last thing...double check the warranty on the card. SD cards do get "bricked" sometimes...which recently happened to a Samsung 64GB microSD card I have...fortunately the card has a 10 year warranty and they replaced it free of charge (except shipping the old one to them). I think most cards have a 10 year warranty these days, but just double check.

JuStaWRX likes this.
  4. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

I just remembered one incredibly annoying app with storage restrictions...Amazon Prime Video. You can save certain shows/movies for offline watching, but you can't set the external SD card as the storage location. So dumb!

And one last side note...Android Marshmallow does allow you to format an external SD card as internal storage, so that the device sees the internal + external SD as one big internal storage area. However, if you then pop that card in another device, you can't access your content, and some manufacturers (ahem, samsung, and others), disabled this option. No idea if this will be an option for FireOS.

Ok, enough about SD cards. I need to get back to work!

JuStaWRX likes this.